Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2006, 09:17 AM   #1

1979 31' Sovereign
Collierville , Tennessee
New Owner (HELP!).

Hello all. I recently inherited a 1979 31' Soverign from a great uncle. It took the better part of a week to get all the junk removed and the interior cleaned and fumagated. I've got a manual so I think I can figure out some of the things that don't work, like the frig and water pump, but I'm sure I'll be back with lots of questions.

My first question is what to do with the (3) extra propane tanks. There are (2) on the tongue, and three more in his storage shed. All are the nice light weight aluminum type, but they don't have the new over-fill protection filler valves. Is there a market for these tanks?

Thanks.

Nathan (in west Tennessee).
nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:24 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Santa Ana , California
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But I believe that because they are aluminum they can keep getting re-certified. If that is the case and there isn't a lot of corrosion on them you should be able to sell them on ebay.
You might in fact be better off cleaning them up, having a company install the over-fill protection and re-certifieing them then listing them on ebay or some sort of selling site.
"Life is like a box of chocolates..." Forrest Gump
Killo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Nathan,
I'm not far from you we live in Oxford Ms. Alan is correct about the tanks. Do you plan on keeping the trailer if so I would keep the tanks. What a great gift from your Uncle.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:36 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Angel73
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan
Hello all. I recently inherited a 1979 31' Soverign from a great uncle. It took the better part of a week to get all the junk removed and the interior cleaned and fumagated. I've got a manual so I think I can figure out some of the things that don't work, like the frig and water pump, but I'm sure I'll be back with lots of questions.

My first question is what to do with the (3) extra propane tanks. There are (2) on the tongue, and three more in his storage shed. All are the nice light weight aluminum type, but they don't have the new over-fill protection filler valves. Is there a market for these tanks?

Thanks.

Nathan (in west Tennessee).
I would take them and have then up dated.Our costed $30.00 each to have ours done and if you like to travel.Its always nice to have atleast 3 or 4 tanks in my opinion.We always camp back country and normal go for the whole summer and its normal along way back to a store.lol Everything we have taking out of our camper i keep .....I tell my husband its a just in case pile.Plus the LP tanks aren't cheap and the new ones are not as light as the older ones are when full.And with me being the one that ends up change them the lighter one are easier for me..
Oh and welcome to the forum.Hope you enjoy your new project
Old 06-07-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Forget about Ebay, post them here in the classifieds. I'm not really very familiar with Ebay, but don't charge a fee to use the site? It's free here. (disclaimer: I'm looking for a couple of the aluminum tanks myself!)

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:12 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
aluminum tanks

i'm in the same boat as you. just bought camper need to convert to new valves. the dealer i bought from told me to convert them over because of the lite weight and no rust. the alum. tanks are expensive to replace and you will probably come out ahead by fixing what you have. it doesn't sound like a big deal from what i have been told but haven't done it myself as well.

good luck,

cb

p.s. i'm sure you wouldn't have trouble selling on this site. i'm interested!
crowbar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Allentown , New Jersey
Send a message via Yahoo to Larry71
Nathan,

I purchased my Safari about 3 years ago and had the same problem. I took the tanks to my local propane distributor and they updated the tank fittings, recertified them and filled them for about $100 (2 tanks). The old aluminum tanks are really nice and worth taking care of.

Larry
Old 06-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I'm also in the market for aluminum tanks. How tall are they? My Sovereign tanks are right up to the window. My Overlander's are about 4" shorter. The Caravel has steel tanks and would look a little funny with reall tall tanks, but I wouldn't mind having a spare for one of the other two!
Old 06-07-2006, 06:04 PM   #9
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Check out the tanks at VTS. http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...ults.asp?Cat=1
When you click on the different size tanks it will show you how tall they are. The 30 lb tanks I recently bought are 26 3/4 inches tall. These are 2 1/2 inches taller then the old steel tanks.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote