Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
New Here - Just Purchased My First Airstream

Hi! I just purchased my first Airstream, which is also a Sovereign. Tonight is it's first night at its new home. I am so excited, I am jumping up and down inside. I was hoping to come home from work and dig into clean and fixing stuff but it's just too hot. I'll for sure get on it this weekend because it's LABOR DAY! It's really in good shape, just needs some TLC, which I have plenty of.
Happy Traveling!
girlscan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Forums and welcome to the wacky world of Airstreaming!

There are a lot of us in the Valley and Arizona ... we will have to get you to a rally where you can meet up with a bunch of really fun happy campers!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Welcome to the forums.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Congrats!!!! And welcomed rom the sovereign club
Old 08-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Howdy and to Airforums.com! Glad to hear you already have your trailer, and we're waiting for all the questions you will have about its care and feeding.

In the mean while, how about some photos of your new baby!?
Old 08-31-2012, 12:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forums! This is a great place to learn all things Airstream! I second Aage's post ~ "how about some photos???"
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
As requsted - Pics of the baby

Thank you all for making me feel so welcome! I'm really excited to start this new journey with you all. I am retiring in a couple of months and wanted to find a hobby. This might just be it! I'm a bit intimidated to pull such a big "thing" (first issue, what do I call my new baby?) on my own. But I'm always up for a challenge. Of course I wanted to wait to post pics until I had a chance to clean it but I do believe you all are right that we need the "out of the chute" pics, so here they are. Sorry for the brightness ~ good camera is on loan. All suggestions and advise are welcomed regarding the care and feeding of my new baby (very nice analogy For all you holiday travelers, be safe out there this weekend!

PS I am having a bit of a challenge with the threads so I apologize if I post in the wrong place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Day 1-1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	167149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Day 1-2.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	167150  

Name:	Day 1-3.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	167151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Day 1-4.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	167152  

Name:	Day 1-5.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	167153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Day 1-6.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	167154  

Name:	Day 1-7.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	167155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Day 1-8.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	167156  

Old 08-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Looks great! Center bath model too! Welcome to the forums! Keep the pics coming!
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:48 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlscan2 View Post
All suggestions and advise are welcomed regarding the care and feeding of my new baby (very nice analogy
The first thing to focus on is to check and double check to make sure that there are absolutely NO leaks. I gather you are storing it outside, so with fall and winter knocking on your door, it's time to get out there and find them. One thing that is easy to check and renew is the three plumbing vents on your roof.

They are squat-looking (usually) chromed screwed-on metal covers that have a short length of ABS pipe under them that are sealed as they pass through the body with TremPro 835 caulking, a rubber "skirt" gasket, and some window screen over the hole to prevent little animals and debris from falling inside and blocking them.

The rubber, screen, and caulking wear out in as little as three years, and then water leaks into your trailer by coming down the pipe into the walls and clothes closet(s). Yuck! Danger! Water eats floors!

Other things to do could be to have a close look around all the windows and the door, AND the belt-line. That's the horizontal strips that cover rows of rivets, and can also be a big source of leaks.

Sorry, I don't mean to frighten you, but it's work that really needs doing before the fall rains and heavy winter weather make it tough to do. Take some time, and start searching here for the longer threads that talk about stopping leaks, you'll see that it isn't rocket surgery to get it done. PLus once it's done you can take your time with other things you want to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlscan2 View Post
PS I am having a bit of a challenge with the threads so I apologize if I post in the wrong place.
Yes, you should think about how you want to write your questions and the story of you and your TT (travel trailer). The Forums are laid out in areas that are all about the various models and list them by year, but as well, there are other sections that are divided by sections of the TT and the work we do on those areas. Such as plumbing, as an example. Look through the contents of the "Forums" tab under the AIRSTREAM at the top of this page, you'll see that there are many.

So, you can choose to write your questions in one thread that is all about your trailer and all the bits you fix and replace, or just ask questions about your work in the repair section that is about that particular part of your trailer. Body repair, electrical, appliances, they all have their own Sub-forums.

Have fun! Ask questions!
Old 09-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
WOW - thanks so much for the info. It's great to have a starting point and that is as good as any. I know how important avoiding leaks are from the many ads I've seen that show water damage. This baby has gone nearly 40 years without any and I don't want to be the one to inflinct that. You aren't intimidating me in the least. I appreciate you sharing your TT knowledge with me.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #11
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Welcome to the forums! Looks like a great trailer, but as Aage stated things wear out. Maintenance is not that big of a deal, happy trails!
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #12
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
girlscan, you're very welcome.

Heheh, I just had a look at your annual weather patterns,. and it appears that you are in the "wet" weather for Phoenix right now.

But you only get 8.3 inches (210 mm) of rain annually, so perhaps the leak risk isn't as bad for you as it is for an area like where I live.

But hopefully, you will travel, so I still say kill any possible leaks first, you'll feel better about things.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
No, we don't get much rain here at all. I'm surprised we get 8.3 inches in a year to be honest.

Question: what type of truck will this Baby want to be towed with? I'm not too concerning about locally, but we have some pretty steep hills and mountains up north. I'm looking to buy a truck and just want to be sure I have my bases covered.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I think a 3/4 ton would be standard in your case.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:54 PM   #15
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
girlscan, your trailer weighs about 5,000 empty, and maybe another 1,500 lbs or so extra when all ready to go. It's up to you for a good part: if you want to bring your collection of bowling balls, well, who knows?

Seriously, in its day, it was towed by the family car. Even with a hilly area to travel in, a Ford F-150 or GM/Chev 1500 should be plenty.

People think I'm crazy when I tell them I tow mine with an '07 Ford Freestar van.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
aage, I definitely thought you were crazy! Then I was so happy, because your TV makes me feel a lot better about my 04 tundra double cab.... and as you have stated, my sovereign tows beautifully behind it!

BTW, THIS IS A VERY STRAIGHT SOVEREIGN! I'm suprised you even had to clean it

https://ismelltexas.wordpress.com
texasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
girlscan, your trailer weighs about 5,000 empty, and maybe another 1,500 lbs or so extra when all ready to go. It's up to you for a good part: if you want to bring your collection of bowling balls, well, who knows?

Seriously, in its day, it was towed by the family car. Even with a hilly area to travel in, a Ford F-150 or GM/Chev 1500 should be plenty.

People think I'm crazy when I tell them I tow mine with an '07 Ford Freestar van.
So called '1/2-ton' trucks can be very capable today. My Ford F-150 with Max Tow and HD Payload package and the EcoBoost engine easily bests 3/4-ton trucks from only a few years ago.

MaxTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:06 PM   #18
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTow View Post
So called '1/2-ton' trucks can be very capable today. My Ford F-150 with Max Tow and HD Payload package and the EcoBoost engine easily bests 3/4-ton trucks from only a few years ago.
And, even an 2WD F-150 several years old with the basic V8 would be plenty for a '74 31-footer.

Certainly would be way more tow-power than the '74 Chevy Impala your dad would have towed it with.

Now, if it was a brand new 30-footer, the weight story would be quite a bit different...
Old 09-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #19
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Just want to say WELCOME !

S/
Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
That to all of you for your comments. i totally enjoy all the comments and your help!