Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2020, 03:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
SAINT AUGUSTINE , Florida
New Guy (Clueless) in Florida

Hiya from Saint Augustine, Florida. My wife and myself are complete newbies to this kind of camping, having only rented a travel trailor once for a weekend a few years ago. We are currently in the market weighing our options and both the trailor AND what to tow it with. We are set on an Airstream and intend to do extended multi-week trips often throughout the year, using it as a base of operations for telecommuting while seeing this amazing country of ours. Not quite full-timing, but approaching a 50/50 split.

I will be here alot looking at how everybody has overcome the challenges I already see coming (internet connectivity, and energy management) and many more I don't see yet.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice!
Apexbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Welcome!

We were all clueless at one point. This forum is a great educational resource.

We started with a used 25’ (7000 lbs gw). We liked it a lot and eventually (unplanned though) upgraded to a new 28’ (7600 lbs gw). We tow with a Nissan Armada w/ tow package rated for 9000 lbs. We have 25,000 miles on the combo and love it.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Apexbasher, welcome to the Airstream Community and Forums! You are in the right place - most of us here started in the exact same spot as you.

I can tell you there are dozens if not hundreds of threads on these topics so the Search bar at the top of the page is your friend.

Good luck and hope to see you out on the road soon!
Jeff
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 05:34 PM   #4
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
Welcome aboard. Great resource to have in the event you need to ask / answer questions All questions are GREAT REFRESHER for us all.
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 05:44 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Rancho Palos Verdes , California
Hi & welcome! You're probably going to get all kinds of advice that's irrelevant to you if you don't offer a few parameters. Such as: budget within a bracket, where you think you'll be doing most of your camping (all over US & Canada is a valid answer), how much time you think you'll spend camping (it's easy to get along with your spouse in a small trailer if you're mostly doing short trips, but longer trips may warrant a bigger trailer), what kind of toys do you want to take along (bikes, kayaks, etc.), do you need the tow car to also serve as a daily driver. That kind of thing.

In order for you to understand the difference between small and larger trailers, you might see if there are any places near you that rent Airstreams. Take different models out for a weekend. At a minimum, go to a dealer and sit in/scope out different trailer set ups (make sure you leave your checkbook at home on the first few trips).

If you have particular questions try the Goggle search option under the Search dropdown in the header of this page (not the simple search).

I was browsing the Forum Classifieds a few days ago and saw at least one person selling their Airstream and tow vehicle together. That might be a good way to get the whole kit & caboodle with few hassles. Unfortunately, I can't remember what type of trailer it was to narrow it down for you.

If you find a trailer you are serious about, there are people here willing to go with you to inspect it. There's a link somewhere to this feature, but I'm not finding it right now. Someone will pipe in.

Good luck !
riowerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:11 PM   #6
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
For me it was a 3 year journey to finally settle on the right Airstream and tow vehicle. I researched as much as I can. One invaluable resource was attending a newbie rally/seminar. Learned so much, both from the presenters and the campers attending. Highly recommended.
There is one in Sevierville, Tennessee in April.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote