Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Bellingham , Washington
Just purchased a 1961 Bambi

I just purchased a 1961 Bambi and have not even received the papers on her yet. The previous owner has refurbushed the interior fairly well - new wood floor, etc. Everything seems to work well. He put in a nice fan and installed air conditioning on the roof. The tires are whitewalls and he put the "moon" caps on her. The outside needs to be polished. He did some polishing by hand, but did not seem to have the right material to do a great job. Does anyone have suggestions on what is on the market that works well with a manual job - no machines wanted? I have seen some things online, but wonder what you experts have used in the past. I don't mind the hand rubbing, but I do not want to damage the skin of the trailer.
Robert Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Bellingham , Washington
Someone told me that Alcoa makes some stuff that rubs on and off real easy and does a great job. Does anyone know the name of the polish? Or where to find it?
Old 10-17-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Hi Robert and welcome to the forums.

I won't start polishing my '73 until spring, but can't even imagine undertaking it by hand. Check out the cleaning, stripping and polishing threads under exterior restoration and I think you'll get some good information on polishing.

Good luck with your "new" Airstream.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
Airstream Guy
Commercial Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
1967 22' Safari
1964 22' Safari
Marion , Kansas
Polishing tips

Buy Truck Box Polish from Lowes. You will need 4 bottles.
Instructions are on my website www.airstreamguy.com
If you want to save another 10%, get a moving kit from the post ofiice and take out the Coupon for Lowes.

Do not use a cheap fast polisher. 1000 RPM or slower...cheap ones are 3000 RPM. Be sure to clean with Min Spirits and cotton Tshirt rags.

Pics and complete instructions are on my website. This will be fun because your airstream is so small. lol
me208070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Vance View Post
I just purchased a 1961 Bambi and have not even received the papers on her yet. The previous owner has refurbushed the interior fairly well - new wood floor, etc. Everything seems to work well. He put in a nice fan and installed air conditioning on the roof. The tires are whitewalls and he put the "moon" caps on her. The outside needs to be polished. He did some polishing by hand, but did not seem to have the right material to do a great job. Does anyone have suggestions on what is on the market that works well with a manual job - no machines wanted? I have seen some things online, but wonder what you experts have used in the past. I don't mind the hand rubbing, but I do not want to damage the skin of the trailer.
Robert - is this the Bambi that was at the Ferndale rod run in July? Does it have several outside lights on it?

If so, nice rig. Was that you there then or did you get it after that?
Old 10-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Bellingham , Washington
I believe the owner had it there. He is a friend of mine and his wife decided that she wanted a bigger trailer if they were to continue camping. Yes, it has several outside lights that work well.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
We missed the event ourselves but our car club was there and three of them own Airstreams, only one of whom actually had his there. The other two are shall we say "in progress". They were very enthusiastic about your trailer saying it was in great shape. We wondered about why all the extra factory lights on it, wondering if perhaps it had been on a caravan, speculating of course. But I for one have never seen one with that number and location of lights. Quite handy to have when you need that extra light for sure.

Glad you found the forums. What are you towing the trailer with?
Old 10-19-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Bellingham , Washington
I have a 2009 Ford Ranger 4x4 - 6 cylinder. It should do the job nicely. Of course, the Lincoln Towncar could probably handle it. We will be using the Ranger.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Hope to see you at some of the local events. There are several in the area through the spring summer fall timeframe. Deming 3rd weekend of August, Lynden the weekend after Labor Day in September, and others you'll see on the forums. There are several other Bambi's and Bambi II's in the area that attend many of these events.

Have fun with it. It is a neat trailer. You are one of the lucky ones with a Bambi.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:01 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Bellingham , Washington
Yes, my wife is excited about camping with it on short trips around the Bellingham area. We will probably get in on some of those events. I am going to put off polishing on it until spring. Several people have offered advice on how to do it and what to use on it. The forum has been very helpful, and I look forward to meeting some new people at the events.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:47 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Bellingham , Washington
Rivet Polished and rolling

I purchased some polishing material from Nuvite. It comes in several grades for restoring aluminum surfaces. I made a really bad choice when I covered the trailer with a tarp to protect it during the winter. I had to leave in outdoors. When I removed the tarp, the wind had moved the tarp over the roof and upper sides leaving terrible black streaks. They came out hard. I was about two weeks getting a dull Bambi to a fairly good shine. It is not perfect, but it is vintage 1961 !! I am vintage 1933 and have a few imperfections these days. I am hoping to go up to Lynden, WA., the weekend after Labor Day. Do you just show up for these events or do you have to register?
We went to Riverside on the Eastside for a week in August. It was fun to be out there after all the hard work of polishing.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Vance View Post
I purchased some polishing material from Nuvite. It comes in several grades for restoring aluminum surfaces. I made a really bad choice when I covered the trailer with a tarp to protect it during the winter. I had to leave in outdoors. When I removed the tarp, the wind had moved the tarp over the roof and upper sides leaving terrible black streaks. They came out hard. I was about two weeks getting a dull Bambi to a fairly good shine. It is not perfect, but it is vintage 1961 !! I am vintage 1933 and have a few imperfections these days. I am hoping to go up to Lynden, WA., the weekend after Labor Day. Do you just show up for these events or do you have to register?
We went to Riverside on the Eastside for a week in August. It was fun to be out there after all the hard work of polishing.
For Lynden, you just arrive. You will see all the trailers parked in the west end beside the western-most gate. You will check in with Pat and or Joanne, the hosts, and they'll point you in the right direction, do the registration thing, and give you all the details.

Look forward to seeing you there.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Here is the detail on Lynden

11th Annual Mt. Baker Vintage Trailer Rally
Sept. 8-11, 2011
Come join us for our eleventh rally being held in at the Northwest Washington Fairgrounds in Lynden Washington. You can arrive as early as Tuesday the 6th of September. No pre-reservations are required.
Our vintage trailer rally is open to all trailers & motor homes 25 years old & older. Folks with newer rigs - but love older vintage units are welcome as well. The newer rigs will be parked to one side as this year we’ll strive to park all vintage vehicles & trailers together.
The camping area is grass, there’s NO DUST from dirt roads to contend with. We have a very nice meeting room and plenty of power/water sites with a dump station on the grounds. Our rally location has plenty of no cost good warm showers and clean restrooms.
The quaint town of ....Lynden...., WA has a Dutch theme with many little shops to explore. There should still be plenty of garage sales on the weekend as well. There are numerous restaurants and banks, some within walking distance of the rally. Close by are auto & RV parts stores, hardware stores, grocery, etc.
The last few years we’ve had 100 or more units in attendance. Over time we’ve been getting some very excellent older units attending. From the 1930’s, 1940’s, 1950’s and newer are the units. Many are very nicely restored both inside and out with period furnishings.
We also welcome those vintage trailers that are“Works in Progress” as “Come As You Are”.
Many tow vehicles are older, restored rigs as well.
Friday night will be a potluck dinner where everyone brings a dish (main, salad or dessert).
Saturday night will be a dessert social where everyone brings a dessert to share.

Saturday at 1:00 pm there will be a swap meet/flea market in the meeting hall. Bring any trailer, household, craft or other items to sell that might need a new home.
The rally fee is $25.00 per unit. All camping is $18.00 per night, dry and/or water/power hookup. There are few trees so bring your own shade, awning, etc. Those with air conditioning
should be able to run them as needed as there are 30/50 amp power sites. Those who want power and water please bring a power splitter, extension cord and a Y for your water hose.
Bring your own outdoor table & chairs if you can. Pets are welcome but need to be kept on a leash, picked up after and not brought into our meeting building during rally functions. Please make sure your pet stays within your own campsite when tied out so they can’t reach other’s campsites and cause mischief.
Directions: From the south take I-5 to exit 256 in Bellingham, Washington. Head north on the Guide Meridian about 8 miles until you get to Lynden. Turn right onto Front Street and within a mile you’ll see the Fairgrounds on your right. From the north it’s easiest to take the Lynden border crossing. Drive south on the Guide Meridian until you get to Front Street in Lynden and take a left.
Any questions please contact Pat or Joanne Ewing at (360) 966-4253 or e-mail at pre47airstream@aol.com.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:28 AM   #14
dr-quest

1973 23' Safari
1965 20' Globetrotter
Wiarton , Ontario
Sore arms

Just had a tour through a 61 Bambi, It was beautiful, love the louvered back. I tried to polish an aluminum strip on a 1961 esta villa trailer by hand. Just a 1 foot wide aluminum strip running around a 12 foot trailer. It almost killed me and never looked great. Anything bigger then a hubcap and bring on the power tools.
All the best Dr-Quest
dr-quest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1961, 1961 bambi