Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2006, 07:05 AM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Talking Howdy! From Tennessee!

Hi Everyone. My wife and I just got our first Airstream! It is a 1972 Overlander Land Yacht. We love it but are having a hard time finding parts or anyone that can help us. We have lots of questions but dont know anyone else that has one. If anyone could help us it would be greatly appreciated.
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2006
Hi Everyone. My wife and I just got our first Airstream! It is a 1972 Overlander Land Yacht. We love it but are having a hard time finding parts or anyone that can help us. We have lots of questions but dont know anyone else that has one. If anyone could help us it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the forums.This is THE place to be for answers.Fire away and I'm sure some of the fine forum folks will have an answer for you.Many of your questions can probably be answered by accessing the search feature provided by the forums.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Question

Thanks Mike. Can you tell me anything about how to hook up the brakes on the trailer? Does it use fluid? When we were backing it in our driveway and put the brakes on the truck kept sliding and the trailer wheels kept rolling. Please forgive us if we ask silly questions we are very new at this. We have only had it 2 days.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello newbie2006 and welcome to the Forums! Help is at your fingertips ... uh, keyboard. The same issues come up again and again. Take a look at the Restoration, Repair and Parts Forum for general ideas. The Search function can be useful if you have some savvy in providing keywords to search -- two or three can be more helpful; eg, 'replace water pump' or 'window gasket' if you get my drift.

Post a photo if you think it'll help us with any questions. You'll usually have to edit a jpeg to 600x800 or less to fit within Forums file size limits.

Come back often! We'll help you change your User Name to oldie2007 when you are ready.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Thanks Bob. I will get some photo's on today. Is there a website to order parts from?
Old 08-20-2006, 09:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
there are a number of parts places, including of course the Airstream dealers, InlandRV.com, vintagetrailersupply.com, and being you are in Tenn you can call Sonny's Campers in Huntsville, Alabama; he stocks a lot of parts. We also have a campingworld in Chattanooga that has the generic stuff at good deals.

If you can make it we have a rally of forum members in N Georgia Oct 20 on Lake Chatuge for the weekend. Lots of newbies and oldbies as well to answer questions and show a hands on.
Check the Forum Rallys page for more info...its guaranteed to be a fun, learning experience.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Congratulations on your '72 Overlander, newbie2006! I'm just down the road from you in Chattanooga and also a new AS owner. Please do think about joining us in Hiawassee in October (Georgia and anyone else Fall leaf thing). I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Hi newbie2006,
Check out the vendor section of the forum for Secretarial Services. Helen sells owners and service manuals which you will find very informative. There is also an Airstream dealer in Cookeville http://midtennessee.airstream.com/ for some parts while Inland RV should be able to provide others.

Post away with pictures of areas you might need assistance with. There is a wealth of knowledge on the forum and those who are willing to help.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:40 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Electric Trailer Brakes

Greetings John!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Thanks Mike. Can you tell me anything about how to hook up the brakes on the trailer? Does it use fluid? When we were backing it in our driveway and put the brakes on the truck kept sliding and the trailer wheels kept rolling. Please forgive us if we ask silly questions we are very new at this. We have only had it 2 days.
Your trailer pre-dates the offering of Excella Hydra-Vac Disc Brakes so would have come from the factory with either Kelsey Hayes or Dexter electric (drum-type) trailer brakes. This braking system did not include hydraulic fluid -- electro-magnetic forces supplied the braking action.

The system requires that you have a functional brake controller in the tow vehicle, a properly wired Bargman connector on the tow vehicle with the matching end on the trailer, and trailer brakes that are both mechanically and electrically functional. The most common problem with these coaches is wiring the coach to the current industry standard as Airstream utilized something other than the standard in use today. You can find information about these at:

1966-1981 Airstream Bargman Wiring Diagram:

http://www.airstream.com/airstream/p...lug1966-81.pdf

Current Industry Standard Wiring Diagram:

http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 02:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
There's a bunch of us meeting for some kind of rally or whatever in October (20-22nd) in NW Georgia (Lake Chatuge). This might be a nice opportunity to meet other Airstreamers and get some ideas.

Check out (somewhere within this forum) for Georgia Fall something or other - you would be within pretty easy driving distance!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 03:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Never underestimate the ability to find some things locally. We ordered a bunch of stuff from an online airstream retailer only to find out that some of the things can be found much cheaper at your local hardware store or big box store like Home Depot. For example: lighting componants, latches, flooring, etc.

And do use the search tool for this forum. There is an unbelievable amount of helpful information already posted here.

Good luck and happy Airstreaming!
Kathleen
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome!

Welcome to the forums!

Congrats on your Airstream! You have found the "right" place! Airstreams Rock!

Post lots of pictures and ask lots of questions! I suggest looking at the safety issues first (brakes/lights/axel/tires) then go on to everything in working order (fridge/stove/lights/heater/air) finally hit on the "decorating"! But in the meantime, if your rig is "usable" get out and go camping! Actually using your trailer (even if parked in your yard...) will help you know what you want to do, and what is most important to you!

Have fun!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:05 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome Howdy from Tennessee and you said you did not know anyone who owned an Airstream? Now you know several thousand people. Try and make it doe n to the rally in GA and you'll meet some great folks and learn a lot about your new trailer.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Getting ready!

Thanks for all the welcome! We have been working on the camper all week. Hooked up the water and found several leaks in the copper pipes, has taken 3 days to replace these pipes. Checked out the fridge, it is working well. Have replaced about half of the carpet, and put new rug in bathroom as I already had it apart because of the leaks. Bought a brake control unit for the truck and will have it put in the next couple of days. Next week will get the new tires as the ones on it have quite a bit of dry rot, and will have the brakes checked. We got all of the exterior lights working, except for the back-up lights. Insides are so rusted I think we will have to find some new ones. Hopefully in the next few weeks we will be able to go camping!!!!
Old 08-26-2006, 03:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
ok then....Rally, rally, rally ( subtle hint)
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote