Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2006, 11:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
kootenays , BC
rebuffing

I just bought a '64 airstream trailer, the exterior has oxidized and I want to get it to it's shiny new state.
I found someone to do it but it doesn't sound like he's done an airstream before.
My questions are is there a coat on the trailer that needs to be removed first?
How much (around) should it cost to rebuff a 20 ' trailer (please mention if it is in canadian or us $$?
and is there any specifics I should mention to the guy doing the job?
Thanks very much, Tracy.
fancy pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 12:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Welcome to the AirstreamForums! Congratulations on your "new" 1964, I hope you get as much enjoyment from yours as we have ours!

In 1964, clear coat was an "option", some had it some didn't. Ours did. The easiest way to figure out if yours does is:
Test #1 = Is it evenly oxidized or splotchy looking?
Answer #1 = If evenly oxidized, either you have no clearcoat or your clearcoat is intact. If splotchy, milky or peeling...you have clearcoat, which needs to be removed first.

Test #2 = Wash a small area with water. Put a dab of toothpaste on your finger and gently rub it on the clean area. If it turns "black" you don't have clearcoat or your clearcoat is failed. If it's not splotchy from Test #1, you don't have clearcoat. If it doesn't turn black, you have intact clearcoat.
Once you've determined if you have clearcoat or not, if you want to polish you will need to remove the clearcoat first if you have it, even if it is failed. As far as stripping and polishing goes, there are as many opinions on how to do it as there are polished trailers. You may want to do a search here on the forums (button, top right) to read about a few of them.

Polishing a trailer is a big commitment of time, money or both. Be sure you really want to take it on before you start...we've done it and don't regret it, but it is a labor of love.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote