Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2002, 09:58 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
Which Sealant Where?

Ok, dumb question from an unknowing newbie, but what sealants do you use where? I'm getting lost in the use of Vulkem, Par-bond, Alcoa gutter seal, sika flex, etc. what wicks what doesn't etc.

When a unit needs caulked, what is used on the skin joints, roof vents, vent pipes, A/C seal, window frame to skin joints and any other areas I may have missed? When the time comes it would be nice to have a game plan and shopping list. thanks for your patience with a rookie

Thanks!

Jason
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 04:18 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Use Vulkum for large areas such as roof vents, plumbing vents, TV antenna and tops of window frames. Use Par-bond or gutter seal for skin seams, letters and the other three sides of the window frames.
Jerry Sulkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 10:20 AM   #3
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Also learning

Does all this caulking stuff also work on the painted Argosy trailers?? If not. what?? Thanks, Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 10:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Yes it will work on them but the vulkem is gray and the parbond is silver so you will be able to see the sealants on a factory beige colored Argosy. I replaced all the vulkem on mine and parbonded the seams before I repainted it. Vulkem is great stuff but once you open a tube you must "use it or lose it". I originally got a tube from Inland RV but was able to get more locally as well. They have a website with dealer locations. A tube of parbond goes a long, long way.

(Leigh, I did PM you back some weeks ago but have been having connectivity problems so you may not have gotten it, I am getting a digital camera soon and hope to have some pics on soon.)
Old 11-07-2002, 12:28 PM   #5
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
HOWDY!!

Hey Chas - Thanks for the info. I'm going into overload collecting all this!! Did not get your PM?? Waiting for those pics!!! and continuing to twist my husbands arm to get him to post ours. I think Texans need a little armtwisting now and again, huh!! (By the way I came from Corpus Christi) Leigh
Old 11-07-2002, 12:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Parbond

Leigh,
I ran across a tube of Parbond that was clear. Someone told me on the forum that it also comes in white as well as grey. Maybe clear might be the ticket for you. By the way, I was born and raised in Corpus Christi. My mother and sister still live there.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 10:21 AM   #7
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Howdy again!

Craig - thanks for that info. I hated to think of putting sealant all over trailer and having it stick out like mustard around a leaky burger!! We have to get to that task soon, but no way to add a repaint job at this particular moment in time. Good to know we might be able to seal and still have it look ok.

I was born in CC, but they moved me out pretty quickly. My parents settled in Tulsa, OK so guess my claim to Texas is pretty dadblaimed (is that right!!?) small. Anyway, Price and I have lived here in COLO. for over 13 yrs. Got a bit of a travel joke for you guys if you ever come this way to experience it:

You know you live in COLO when: you know all 4 seasons - almost winter, winter, still winter and construction!! Its that last one that is the joke!! Later, Leigh
Old 11-08-2002, 10:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Leigh,
As far as construction goes, I thought Nashville, Tn. had the claim to road construction. I've seen more than my share of orange/silver barrels throughout Nashville for the last 10 yrs. I'm glad I live 70 miles southeast from there now.

I don't know how far you live from Denver but my sister's best friend lives there. All 3 of us grew up in CC and then she got married and moved to Denver. She's divorced now. Could it have been the winter or the construction?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 11:03 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Vulkem 116

I found this info on Vulkem #116. Still don't know where to buy it locally.

http://www.tecnoconcret.com/juntas/vulkem_116.htm

Brian
Old 02-04-2007, 06:40 PM   #10
tincantom

1975 25' Tradewind
Crossville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
Leigh,
As far as construction goes, I thought Nashville, Tn. had the claim to road construction. I've seen more than my share of orange/silver barrels throughout Nashville for the last 10 yrs. I'm glad I live 70 miles southeast from there now.

I don't know how far you live from Denver but my sister's best friend lives there. All 3 of us grew up in CC and then she got married and moved to Denver. She's divorced now. Could it have been the winter or the construction?
Try driving east about 200 miles to Knoxville if you want to see competition for that construction trophy. We spend the summer just south of Crossville, TN. The Cumberland plateau is a great place in the good ol' summer time.
tom
tincantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:02 PM   #11

Just put Vulkem 116 in the Product Search Bar here and you will find it ($4.90). I get all mine from this place. Cheap and quick shipping compared to other places.

https://www.whitecapdirect.com/store/
gean235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:41 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
SikaFlex 221 and Acryl-R

.......is what the factory uses now (and so do I). The SikaFlex is a moisture cure polyurethane that is much smoother than Vulkem, and IS paintable when fully cured (about 24 hours) and usually skins over in a couple of hours. It is used for the larger sealing requirements like lapped seams, vents, awning rails, etc. IMHO, it is the best polyurethane product out there for now. I use about a case every 2 weeks.

For the small stuff like seam sealing and for wicking properties, Acryl-R is great, especially for it's re-useability (did I just invent that word?) and ease of application.

Both products are available from the Airstream web store. Just be sure that the expiration date on the sikaFlex is current, as it is very difficult tot use after the date stamped on the container.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:49 AM   #13
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Lew,
Do you know if the Sikaflex can be stored in a freezer? I do this with partial tubes of the Vulkem for keeping between projects....

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Lew,
Do you know if the Sikaflex can be stored in a freezer? I do this with partial tubes of the Vulkem for keeping between projects....

Aaron
Don't know about the freezer, but I keep mine in the fridge....................

Seems to work well
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I keep mine in the freezer with great results. Lasts at least 6 months after opened. I stick a deck screw in the end, wrap the nozzle with foil, and keep it in a freezer bag.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:36 PM   #16
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I normally use Vulkem, stick the screw in the end and wrap the whole thing in plastic wrap. I have left it in the freezer for over a year and it was still good...just wasn't sure about the Sikaflex. There are some caulks that are damaged by freezing.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I don't thaw the Sikaflex before I use it. Using it cold causes surface condensation and helps it skin over.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote