Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2015, 12:33 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McKinney , Texas
Have Casita, looking for AS

Have 2004 17 Casita purchased used 2006. Really enjoy it, but maybe could use a little more room. In-laws sold home and bought big AS (don't know details) to live in full-time. We have seen their AS and were very impressed.

We are looking. Don't really know what we want yet, but so far like Sport 22 and Flying Cloud 20fb. Also, like Flying Cloud 25 with big rear windows. Will probably look for awhile and buy used. We looked for over 1 year before buying our current Casita.

I have been reading forum, appears to be a great resource, so I joined.

Cheers
Super9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:57 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome Super9,

We are glad to have you with us and best of luck with your Airstream pursuit.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:14 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
my , house
Super 9-

We went from a 17' Casita Spirit Dlx. We too were looking at various models and decided on the 25FB last Aug. We looked at the 23FB, similar layout to our Casita just bigger and reversed front to rear. Loved the Bedroom, but wanted more sitting area. 23D had more sitting area, but still had to crawl over each other in B/R with the corner bed. 25FB had larger B/R area and more sitting area. Also the 25 has a much larger fridge and is about 6" wider, making it feel much more spacious. We looked for about a year before deciding, and we are very happy with our final choice
bwpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
We too, are former Casita-ites (17 SD).

Don't make the same mistake we did and listen to bwpaint. Concentrate on the 25 and enjoy the experience.

Got questions? Email me, and I'll try to answer specifics.

Good luck!

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I agree with Murray and others who have moved larger. We had a Scamp some years ago mostly as a lake lot hut, traveled for years in VW Campers.

The logic is to move a little larger on the next camper, but not a big jump. We made that error and bought a 20' Airstream. Good traveler but we ended up spending six months a year on the road, still do. Traded the 20 for a 25 at some loss of cash.

The 25 is the smallest of the large Airstreams, has the features, tires, brakes, width of the larger models so it is quite comfortable for travel and living, a decent balance of the two. They also lend to seating and sleeping conversions as desired, many put in recliner chairs or convert to twin (or double) beds as desired. The 25 is available as front or rear bed in some recent years, even a dinette and couch a few years back. Look around.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Welcome aboard. We were like you about 5 years ago. Found ours on rvtrader.com from a private party. It's been the Most Fun Ever! 43 states and 4 provinces so far, and we're not yet retired. Look at 25-30. They all pull great.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
We had a 2009 Casita 17SD before our AS 25fb. We started to look at the FC 20 then 23d then finally decided the 25 was best compromise in size; not too big or too small.

We had to replace our 2005 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L and went with a 2010 Tundra Double Cab to do the switch from Casita to AS 25. If you do need to switch your tow vehicle find one that has sufficient payload as the AS 25 hitch weight is about 1000lbs give or take 100lbs. While our Tundra towed great it was short on payload for our planned future extensive travels and it didn't have 4x4 so we just upgraded to a Ram 2500 Cummins diesel.

We were able to sell our Casita within a month for a good price.

These AS forums are as equally helpful as the Casita forums.

Kelvin
Old 08-25-2015, 09:14 PM   #8
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
My mom and dad had a Casita as their last travel trailer. They went through a pop-up, a Nomad 19', a Mobile Scout 23" , an Airstream 27'. an Avion 34', a Coachman 23' (don't ask), then a Casita. Now nothing due to age. They LOVED their Casita! For an averaged-sized person, those Casitas are a top-notch trailer. Impressive!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:10 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McKinney , Texas
Got back from 9 day trip to CO, NM trip in Casita. Still looking, reading about AS. Will be hard to part with Casita. I think the main thing I like about AS is status.

I know enough now to realize AS are not perfect and there are a few things I don't like too. For example: the big windows in the front, would be better in the back IMO, have to get another Honda 2000 gen to run the AC, sheet alum is nice looking, but seems fragile and expensive to repair.

I will probably still get an AS, for more room. I was looking on the web last night and like the FC 23fb best at this time. Cheers
Old 09-25-2015, 12:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super9 View Post
the big windows in the front, would be better in the back IMO
Check the various floor plans. Some models do have the panoramic windows in the back.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:39 PM   #11
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Check out the nearly new AS on the Classifieds site!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
We have had 2 Casita 17'ers '99 FD & 2004 LD in 2012 the wife found a '69 AS Tradewind 25'er with front twin beds. Its a great layout very open.

So I tore it apart and replaced the last 4' of the floor (rotted around the edge) installed underlayment and Marmoleum flooring . Then I replaced all the systems and added A/C and Maxxair remote powered vents , digital TV antenna and a curb side outside shower .

Oh and a 17' Casita bathroom in the street side rear corner. Yep, a Casita in a Airstream

I still have to add the washer and dryer to the curb side over the axles where the fold out bed was across from the kitchen. They will be covered with a new counter. Oh and I installed a second 30 amp circuit just for the W/D.

Just got back form our third trip Wednesday . This is a great lay out.

Time to head out the garage and do some more stuff and clean her up for the next trip next month
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0828.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	248925   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0825.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	248926  

Name:	IMG_0823.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	248927   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0977.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	248928  

Name:	IMG_0978.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	248929  

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Casita sale price?

My sister's birthday is coming up and I might MIGHT MIGHT just want to blow her sox off. What is the layout of the Casita and how much are you asking?

Oh and would you consider delivering it?

See, this might happen a LOT faster than you think.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Another welcome, Super9! I always suggest to people that they prepare a "mission profile" before starting to look at coaches. That "mission profile" includes such things as how many people/pets, how long will you live in the coach (full-time, weekends, something in between), how often will the coach move, how much you will be traveling, etc. You mention that you are looking for a little more room. Give serious thought to how much more room you will need, not only right now, but in a couple of years.

In December 2010 we bought a new mpg as a learner rig. We put it on consignment about a year later, as we had learned what we needed to learn from it. One of the things we learned was that we needed a walk-around bed. Our bed was a permanent one in the front of the trailer, but it had walls on 3 1/2 sides, which made making the bed almost impossible. We finally just used our sleeping bags. Things like that are easy to fix when you are looking. What are your issues? When you know them you will have a better idea of what you want/need.

As far as window location, my suggestion is to find the floor plan that best suits you and then pick a camp site that lets you put the window where the view is. We're in a MH right now, backed into a site that lets us look out the windshield at a lake. If we were in a rear living room coach our view would be of other campsites, not of the lake. However, if we would take the site across the road, we'd have the lake view. In other words, front/rear living is a non-issue as far as view is concerned. Park on whichever side of the road gives you the view.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:36 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McKinney , Texas
Don't plan to sell Casita until have AS, so sorry not for sale at this time.

The above pics of restored AS are amazing! I don't have the skills to do anything like that, but I can appreciate what is being done.

I have been looking at the late model classified on this site, CL and ebay some. There is a dealer approx 50 miles away I have been to 2 x's, but wife wasn't with me. The other dealer that has more selection is approx 150 miles away, haven't been there yet.

I am pretty slow to make a decision, so will probably be looking, educating myself for sometime. You know, after you buy something you have to stop looking, which spoils the fun a little. Plus, I generally have buyers remorse for awhile and then get over it. So, no hurry to get AS, I already have something that is working well, and can take my sweet time. Cheers
Old 09-25-2015, 08:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Biggest mistake I made was to sell the Casita the same week we got the AS. As it turned out the AS project took 3 years to be ready to use and we had to rent a few SOB's during the project.

Be sure whatever you buy that it has no hidden problems. Use it then sell the Casita on CasitaClub.com it will go within 1 to 2 days and don't come down on your price.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:37 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McKinney , Texas
Have been jumping all over the place on AS want/ need. Finally, figured out have to go to 25' to get windows in front and back with queen size bed. Wife looked at some at the closest dealer and likes 25' too.

Probably a little bigger to tow and park than what we want, so have to think about that aspect some. Will probably need a larger TV and larger carport to store it too. Then, do we want the queen bed in the front or back? So, a little overwhelming.

I think next will look for a used one not too far to go get. Depending on where the bed is, that's what we will go with, but want the queen size.

So, for now I am looking for used late model AS Flying Cloud 25' D or FB OK.

Cheers
Old 10-05-2015, 08:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
My Indian Name may be "Rains on Parade"

Seriously - the queen in the 25' is sideways - and it LOOKS like there's room to walk around the side of the bed next to the front wall (FB) but there isn't. The wall curves back in and there's less than six inches at the bottom to put your feet. If you're an Egyptian Hieroglyph or have taken a lot of ballet lessons and can move sideways by using third position (toes pointed straight out, with a gap between your heels = length of one of your feet) then you can get on the far side of the bed to make it.

If you ever need to use the restroom at night, one person is crawling out over the other (the one closest to the wall) gets to wear Depends to bed.
(I have a 25 FB but am long long divorced so there's no conflict. What was his name???)

SO? If you already need a bigger carport and tow vehicle, one semi-obvious choice would be look at the 27' or 28' (which are the same length). The fore and aft queen has a lot of benefits over the sideways one. The other choice is twin beds in a 25. The Lucy-Desi arrangement DOES have a few redeeming characteristics. Better access to underbed storage, a second "living room" where dad can run his sewing machine while mom plays poker with the girls at the dinette... (just messin' with you). And for close encounters of the fourth kind, well love will find a way. Notice that other than the Eddie Bauer, the 25 FB has a pull out sofa that makes a tight double. (You MIGHT want to put some extra bracing to the floor on the pulled out section.)

You won't hate the pull out pantry or the bigger closet in the 27 FB either.

Happy trails - go to a dealership and see the differences in person.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:33 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
We have a 25FC with a queen and I totally agree with "Foiled Again". It works dandily for us but I am quite flexible (physically) so I sleep closest to the window. The 27 or 28 seem super for a queen. 27 if you want front bedroom (we wanted this due to backing into most sites that we visit so that the dinette was facing view or back of site), 28 if this doesn't apply to you so you get the couch!
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:33 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McKinney , Texas
Thanks for replies.

Guess will have to look some more to verify no room on sides of queen in FC 25'. We sleep sideways in our Casita, so used to that arrangement. Not ready for twin beds yet.

Camping, wife likes to sit on the bed and look out windows. I don't quite understand having windows in front of trailer, because so used to Casita which doesn't have front windows. Just seems like when you back into a site, you are looking at the back of your TV?

With 17' Casita, we normally back in, but with longer AS I am thinking will probably be more pull throughs, less back-in sites available for longer trailers? Camping in the future, we will be pondering how it would be different with longer AS. Cheers