Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2006, 05:55 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
Rivet have airstream need to get it!

hello fellow airstreamers.

just joined up. i have a 27' 1975 international rear bath twin. i bought it back in nov. 05'. went to get it and w/ a early winter in mass. it was all froze up at my parents house. i could get all the lights to work but the electric jack would not go. i found out you can manually do it, but when its 10 deg out w/ a wind chill and not really knowing the equipment i left it behind to get this spring. i hope to p'up here in late april early may. anxiously.

the camper seems to be in really good shape in and out. as far as i can tell it is fairly loaded w/ alum. mag wheels. b.a.l. jacks, zip dee awn. and vista view windows.it apears to need a serious cleaning and some attention to detail. i have looked for several years for one. although this isn't the ideal one for me it is pretty sweet. i have always been a tent camper and this is going to be quite a step up. i'll have to learn all the maint. stuff.

i think i'm the 3rd owner and it was always maintained. i think the last 5yrs or so it has sat and thus the serious cleaning. it came w/ all kinds of records and manuals. the repair manual is half rotted so i will be trying to acquire another one any info on this? i would like to add a propane lantern inside and out and an lp outlet by the door area. that's a ways away . i'm sure you'll here more from me in my trials and tribulations of this fine camper.

i can't wait to get it and start campin'

crowbar
crowbar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 07:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Welcome to the forum. You can get owners and service manuals for you trailer from Airstream online in their store:

http://www.airstream.com/shop/dynami...oks&action=cat
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:10 PM   #3
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Way to go!

Crowbar,
Way to go!!
Welcome to Airstreams and to these forums.
I have that same trailer.
They made them with rear and center baths. Mine's rear. What's in yours?
I love my AS. I feel like I'm camping in a museum - gotta be real gentle with all the atifacts in it. I always chuckle a bit when I unlock the door and go in for the first time in a while. Like I feel really lucky.
I hope you grow to like yours as much as I do mine.
Jerry
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:10 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
thanx for the info. ordered a service manual. my tt is a rear bath w/ ctr twins also. cant wait to start using it. the first thing will be to de-winterize it and spring clean-it as i mentioned before. then road trip...
Old 04-18-2006, 12:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Ok, here's my two cents: There is or was as of last year, an Airstream dealer near by where you live. A very old Airstream dealership. They can service your coach but be extra careful when specifiying how you want it done, they tend to go off on their own. Having said that they did a great job installing a new waterheater in our Safari, but I was not impressed with some of the other "fixes" they did. They are a resource, but just keep on top of them.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:22 PM   #6
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
where in MA is the trailer? in case you need help...there are a few of us around hee-yuh.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:41 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
Ok, here's my two cents: There is or was as of last year, an Airstream dealer near by where you live. A very old Airstream dealership. They can service your coach but be extra careful when specifiying how you want it done, they tend to go off on their own. Having said that they did a great job installing a new waterheater in our Safari, but I was not impressed with some of the other "fixes" they did. They are a resource, but just keep on top of them.

John

i know what your talking about, have dealt w/ him over the years in search of an a.s. unfortunately i should have bought the first one i seen on his lot. it was a 71' mint 25' mid bath model cheap. of course 7yrs ago i didn't know what i was lookin' at and thought it was WAY to much. i could kick myself.

not sure if i'm doing these posts right as i'm not that good on computer. could barely find my own post!!! will keep trying.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowbar68
i know what your talking about, have dealt w/ him over the years in search of an a.s. unfortunately i should have bought the first one i seen on his lot. it was a 71' mint 25' mid bath model cheap. of course 7yrs ago i didn't know what i was lookin' at and thought it was WAY to much. i could kick myself.

not sure if i'm doing these posts right as i'm not that good on computer. could barely find my own post!!! will keep trying.
Wow, glad you didn't stop by when our Safari was there!

John
Old 04-18-2006, 01:08 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
hey, it was a 30+ year old camper and was just starting to learn about them, i was on a "learning curve"
Old 04-18-2006, 01:15 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
how long ago did you get your 66' safari?
Old 04-18-2006, 01:29 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
when i get my camper in early may i hope to go to mt. greylock. thats if it is in fairly good working order. it was decent when it was winterized in nov. so i am told. the reality is probably drag it back to indiana and go down a checklist.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
2004. Right there at the Airstream dealer in FW. My wife is from there and we had called to all AS dealers in the three state region of MI-OH-IN and they just happened to have just what we were looking for. Needed a new water pump, water heater, and had a dorm fridge. Have since replaced the AC and put a Fantastic vent on and the Univolt has died. We're getting a new fridge and converter this year. An awning will probably be next year's present.

And this was just before price inflation started raising the roof and everyone's expectations on price, so we got it very reasonble.

John
Old 04-18-2006, 01:45 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
it looks like diligence pays off. i have left my name and number w/ him at least 3 different times and stop over there periodically to check inventory. looks like i missed a nice one. sounds like it is in good hands. he definetly has good deals there, you just have to be pro-active to catch them. i plan on having him fix one window when i get mine back here. i believe its a gasket prblem.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:34 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
hey chuck thanx for the offer. hopefully won't need much help, just need to figure out the torsion bar hitch, dealer said they help.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:14 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
Rivet checkin out camper

well i finally made it to mass. and i'm p'up the camper. have tested out most of the "stuff" in it. everything seems to work w/ the exception of the hot water heater. it leakes like a sieve and can't get pilot light lit. it appears to be original. will probably replace than tinker w/ for piece of mind.

it is in nice shape but like everything else it does need work. especially since joining this forum, it suddenly has dawned on me that this tt is actually a house on wheels! what a revelation! the more i get into it the more my TO DO list grows. but this silver sled is cool.

i plan to fix'er up to like knew, eventually, but plan to enjoy it camping. the immediate things are to repack bearings fix the runnning lights that work that fell apart do to age and my medeling. the front window needs resealed and will redo all gaskets/seals for all windows and vents to keep it dry inside. the floor is solid. will do a good cleaning.

will send pics soon. this is a nice camper w/ everything there ad the major stuff intact so it will be enjoyable to fix up and still be able to use.

thanx everybody for the info given as my question arise. this forum is awesome as i don't have to re-invent the wheel.

crowbar
Old 06-24-2006, 08:21 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
maiden voyage

well made it back to indiana.came from mass to ind. a 762 mi. trip. did some basic maintenance to the trailor to make sure it was road worthy. i'm glad i replaced the tires as 2 of them had tubes in them! it towed fine. i was surprised at how much of a trailor it is. i have towed car haulers w/ big cars on them but this was different. vision was somewhat obscured, wil need to get bigger mirrors. the equalizing hitch worked well w/ little or no sway (even w/ semis all around) it rolled down the road good. i'm going to get the hitch dialed in a little better (use scales) w/ some of the threads i have read.

will go campin in a week.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:00 AM   #17
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Grats on your trailer and getting it home Crowbar. Welcome to the forums.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote