Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2007, 06:23 PM   #1

Lightbulb Full-timer Newbie

Hi everyone...
A dream coming true... I take delivery of my first Airstream next week. A 27' 2007 Safari Special Edition. I've never RV'd in my life and I'm jumping into the lifestyle.

I'm in the Air Force and this dream comes as a result of my deployment to Iraq last year. During my deployment to Abu Ghraib and having lived in a prison cell and then a 15x15 room with a roommate for a year, I knew I could easily transition into an Airstream.

After the deployment, I moved to Hurlburt Field, Florida (near Ft. Walton Beach). I wanted to live on the beach but knew I'd never afford the rent or mortgage. So I got creative and decided to go the RV route and live on a campground on the beach. Problem solved )

I have two and half years left before I retire from a 20 year career in the Air Force.

Any and all advice to newbie full timers is much appreciated. Looks like this is an active site and I look forward to reading up on the best made and best looking RVs (and people ) out there.

Cheers,
Jj
guy.random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
jj-----First and foremost thank you for the 17 1/2 years of service to our country. For that you are deserving of anything in your dreams !! I have a grandson in the Marine Corp who's headed back to Iraq for a 2nd tour. His 2 years has been an eternity for me, can't imagine how I would deal with a 20 year commitment. Wife and I are full timers and can tell you it's great especially in an Airstream. In a day and age where everyone thinks bigger is better it's like a breath of fresh air to know someone else needs very little to be happy. Best wishes on your final years before retirement---Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:10 PM   #3
Certifiable

. , .
First of all, I'd like to give you a big thank you for your service to our country. THANK YOU! It's people like you that allow me and the people on this forum to enjoy our freedom.

Second, welcome to the forum and congratulations on a fine purchase. I'm sure you will be thrilled. I must warn you, however, that you will probably come down with a serious case of aluminitis. There is no none cure that I know of, but it has actually been known to extend the lifespans in certain lab rats.

Third, you need to become proficient in posting pictures.

Fourth, we need to know what will be towing your new baby.

Fifth, thanks again!
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Jj,
I would also like to thank you for your service, for "standing in the gap".

On the practical side, and given your RV experience or lack of it, I would offer the following.

First, either browse the forums here, or search for topics that you are unfamiliar with. No matter what the issue, someone here has likely done it and posted about it.

2. When you do the walk-through with your dealer, either video tape it, or take great notes. There will be a lot of info that they pass on to you that you think you'll remember. 'Nuff said.

3. When you take the trailer home, camp in it in the driveway for a couple of nights or more if possible. Hook up everything - water, power, sewer if possible. Check it all out at home, not on the road.

Good luck on your new purchase and on your future on the road.
Thanks again for serving, there are still a lot of us out here who DO appreciate you.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:28 PM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Do not leave the drain on your black tank open. Leave your grey tank valve open if hooked up. (see recent post on black hills). Get formaldihyde free tank treatment.

Think carefully about eveything your want in your trailer. You have limited storage. Put a little chlorine bleach in your tank once a month.
Get out of the trailer at least once a day. Cabin fever can set in quickly.
Thats all I can think of for now. Have fun! go places!
Check tires monthly. They will go down an put more weight than the stabilizers were designed for.
Lots of propane. I upgraded my tanks from 30s to 40s.

Go places! have fun!

search and read all the threads in the forums! ok just the ones on full timing.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:13 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I, too, thank you for your service to all of us. Your commitment is very much appreciated! Look forward to your retirement. I retired with over 30 years with Oregon State Parks and I can attest that retirement is the best job I have ever had! If your travels ever take you to the west coast, feel free to look me up.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:09 AM   #7

Howdy all,
Thanks for the warm welcome and the support. I can't wait to get into my AS next weekend.

I appreciate all the advice. And I'll be sure to post lots of pictures of my new baby.

Cheers,
guy.random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:33 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay.boda
Howdy all,
Thanks for the warm welcome and the support. I can't wait to get into my AS next weekend.

I appreciate all the advice. And I'll be sure to post lots of pictures of my new baby.

Cheers,
Hello and welcome .
I hope you will stay at your present duty station. if not and you can't take your TT with you make sure you winterize it. It does freeze up in the pan handle. Also get a tow vechile that can tow your rig and get a good hitch. practice turning and backing in a big parking lot .other than that use the search button on the top. and thanks for the service for freedom.
Bob Dickson
Old 04-01-2007, 12:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Thank You and Congratulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay.boda
Howdy all,

Cheers,
Again, thank you for serving our country. That's something that cannnot be said too many times. Good Karma to you.

I jumped into full-timing 2 years ago and couldn't be happier. It's a space that is easy to clean, easy to live in and great to hitch up and take away for a long weekend. If you're near the ocean, wash your baby frequently and keep a close eye out for corrosion. I Walbernize at least once a year and probably should do it more often.

I think you'll find the 27 to be a perfect size for one or two people. Don't just park it though, get on the road when you have some leave. My 25 tows pretty effortlessly, and it's just too much fun to travel even for a short distance. Go to Savannah Georga - beautiful town. It's a weekender from where you are.

Again WELCOME.

Paula Ford

See some of the country you've been serving!