Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Airstream in my future?

Hello Everyone,

I've skimmed through this site off and on the past couple of years, often dreaming about buying an AS, especially after some friends of mine bought a Base Camp last Fall.

I currently own a mid '90's SOB, and after just spending $1,600 on some dry rot repair in the front end, I opened up one of my storage bays on the back to clean it out and found some bad dry rot hiding in both rear corners of the trailer! Needless to say I felt sick after seeing that and realized the trailer is pretty much toast. I confirmed it with the shop and they said bail out of it NOW, as it wasn't worth fixing. So much for that $1,600!

So now I have the dilemma I'm sure many of you were faced with at some point before buying your ASs. Do I buy another SOB or take the plunge and go with AS? Do I buy new or used? Going the new AS route would certainly more than double my budget if I was went with a SOB, but then I'll be back in this same position in another 10 years (or less!) with a rotted out trailer that isn't serviceable.

Ideally I'd like a trailer in the 25' range, and I love the new Airstream 25 FBs, especially after touring the new dealer here in Portland over the weekend. The MSRP is outrageous though, and I just can't justify spending that kind of money or anywhere close to it on a trailer I use only a month or two out of the year. I did find what might be a decent deal at the dealer in Eugene today, but that will be a story for my next post.

Decisions, decisions...
OBS F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Used. Just look around. I bought new because I was lucky and could afford it. Today is another matter.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBS F250 View Post
Hello Everyone,

Do I buy another SOB or take the plunge and go with AS? Do I buy new or used?
Take the plunge, of course! This lifetime purchase should last you far longer than a disposable SOB. Besides, if you do not buy what you truly want, then it is not money well spent.

Buy a used FB. The prices aren't so shocking as new. We found ours right here on the classifieds. Watch the classifieds regularly for months if you have to. If you're patient, the right Airstream will eventually be for sale in an area near you.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
We bought our "new to us" almost 2 years ago. Found it in our backyard (we are in Gresham & the AS was in Portland) on Craigs list. Thankfully for us, we happened to look on the first day it was posted - and then it was ours. Haven't looked back,. Everything worked even though we didn't check out all we should have. We were to much of newbies to really know what to look for, or what to test.
Good Luck in your search, Susan
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Thanks for the welcome and good advice everyone!

You can click here for a link to my post about the trailer I found in Eugene today.

Since my current trailer is certainly still usable, I'm leaning towards everyone's advice to just wait it out and find that perfect used AS to avoid the high mark-up and depreciation of new unit. I guess I'll just have to be on top of all the usual places selling ASs so I don't miss a good deal!

At least I can look forward to camping in my current unit until I find that perfect AS and not worry about any issues I have; whatever pops up in my current SOB is NOT getting fixed!
Old 06-14-2010, 10:38 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Antelope , California
We purchased a used 2007 Bambi SE 19' for used $25k
Sactown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Narrowed Down the Search...

After spending untold hours of research this week, I think I've narrowed down my search for a replacement trailer to two models; an Airstream 25 FB or a Komfort Resort 240RK.

Both trailers are almost identical in specs (weight, length, width, etc.). Now it's just a matter of deciding whether or not I want the Airstream bad enough to justify spending 1.5 to 2+ times the cost of the Resort, depending on whether or not I can find a used 25 FB.

If I buy the AS, I'm pretty sure I'll be 100% happy with it and likely won't need to replace it for a long time. Buying the Resort will be a much better fit for my budget right now, yet the most I can probably expect to get out of it is ten years, and that's if I'm obsessive about staying on top of all the maintenance and repairs. At least the Resort, for a SOB, has a little more character to it than most SOBs with the brown fiberglass exterior with black accents and interior trim choices.

If money wasn't an issue, there'd be no tough choice; it'd be AS all the way!
'?? AS 25FB?
Portland, OR
Old 06-18-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Just to throw this out there: Airstreams can suffer rotten floors too. Lots of rivet holes = lots of potential leaks. You can rebuild them and fix them and keep them forever, but the idea of a lifetime trailer likely brings with it some major work at some point unless it's stored inside.

There are SOBs out there that are fully composite with nothing that can rot. For example, a Earthbound is a sexy-looking trailer with a nice interior (I've been in one.) They aren't cheap though.

That said, the 25FB is a unique (and very nice) floorplan. Their popularity means you should be able to score a used one with some looking.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Just to throw this out there: Airstreams can suffer rotten floors too. Lots of rivet holes = lots of potential leaks. You can rebuild them and fix them and keep them forever, but the idea of a lifetime trailer likely brings with it some major work at some point unless it's stored inside.
Thanks for the reponse Tom!

I do realize an AS trailer isn't maintenance free (probably far from it!) and I have seen plenty of the posts with people replacing their flooring. I just like the idea that you all you have to do if a leak creates some damage is find and fix it and simply replace the floor if it's damaged. You don't have to worry about opening up the walls, floor, or roof and finding out half the trailer is rotted out from under you and the only thing holding the whole thing together is the outer shell and some glue!

You also bring up a good point about keeping any trailer out of the elements. I'm currently installing an RV pad on the side of my house that will allow for an eventual awning to be built over the pad relatively easily, and is something I'll likely install in the next year or two. Until then, whatever trailer I get, I plan to keep covered during the winter months with a good quality trailer cover.
'?? AS 25FB?
Portland, OR
Old 06-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Josh, One thing to consider when buying new is the warranty. We found a year old new model and they came down almost 20 grand off the list. Keep looking, you'll find one...took us 18 months and we found ours at an RV show!
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Msrp

M = maybe
S = suckers
R = really
P = pay

There is no way you pay MSRP. Offer 20% off MSRP. Have financing arranged and a check ready. You might not get the full 20% but you can get close.

BTW having a great dealer with a highly competent service dept... you might want to press just a little less for the best price.

Of course gently used is great too. I'm scoping out a slightly dinged 27 FB Classic at the moment. BIG savings! Still like the International better.

BTW, IF I do get yet another A/S, the next one will have twins. Easier to make beds, easier to access storage, easier to use 2nd twin for alternate purposes. (I sew, and could modify the 2nd bed for a sewing table.)

Paula
Old 06-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Resort 240RK Inspection

I stopped by the RV dealer tonight on the way home from work to thoroughly go through a Resort 240RK they have on the lot and was quite impressed!

I told the salesguy that I wanted to just be left alone with the trailer so I could focus on inspecting it, and I checked everything I could think of; all the drawers, cupboards, fridge, stove, doors, bed, couch, dinette, lights, stereo, outdoor shower, awning, slide, bathroom, outdoor storage, undercarriage, and I even was able to climb up the ladder and inspect the roof! Everything seemed very well put together and sealed up perfectly. All the plumbing, even the stuff hidden in the cabinets looked well organized and properly sealed.

I tried to think of anything that might annoy me once I actually used the trailer, so I sat on the furniture, laid on the bed, and even sat on the toilet and stood in the shower! The bed and furniture were quite comfortable and there was even plenty of room to sit on the toilet without your knees banging against the door and plenty of room to fully stand up in the shower. The only complaint I have is that it is a little tight to get past the couch and into the hallway with the slide all the way retracted, however it was still plenty manageable.

Needless to say, I was really impressed with the build quality, and I'd be quite happy with this trailer if this is the route I decide to go. The funny thing is that the particular unit I inspected JUST came off the assembly line this week and had just arrived on their lot, so I was probably one of the first few to walk through it! Tomorrow it's off to the Airstream dealer to do the same inspection on the 25 FB. I wonder what they'll think when they see me playing with all the gadgets and inspecting every sqaure inch of their trailers.

I'll probably make a final decision by the end of this weekend and I'll be sure to let you all know!

Thanks again for all the input!
'?? AS 25FB?
Portland, OR
Old 06-19-2010, 05:05 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Josh,
How strong was the formaldehyde smell in the Resort? That was our #1 reason for buying AS. My husband is very allergic to this. It takes a long time to off gas.
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:55 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsgone View Post
Josh,
How strong was the formaldehyde smell in the Resort? That was our #1 reason for buying AS. My husband is very allergic to this. It takes a long time to off gas.
I didn't notice any formaldehyde smell, but I also was looking for it. In fact, I haven't really noticed any bad smells from any of the new units I've looked at. I don't know if that's because it's always been cool outside when I've toured the new trailers or if the smell just doesn't bother me.

Maybe it takes awhile for the smell to show up? Or maybe the dealer uses some odor neutralizer to mask it while it's on display?
'?? AS 25FB?
Portland, OR
Old 06-19-2010, 07:10 AM   #15
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Hey, Josh!

I wish you the best in whichever you choose - this is highly personal and you have to be comfortable with the financial outlay and your budget.

The ONLY complaint (for me personally) that I have with the non-AS unit you selected is that I do not see any windows on either the front or the rear of the unit.

Our personal experience with our 25FB (great layout!), is that we most often back right into our view, and I love sitting at the dinette or relaxing on the sofa and looking out at the ocean, woods, whatever beautiful view nature has provided us with.

We bought ours new, and you WILL take a depreciation hit; I wish we had done the research you are doing (we just stopped in to look and left having bought - no research, totally unlike me!).

I think you said your current unit can be used this season, so IF you decide on the AS, you can take your time finding a unit just a couple/few years old at a much more reasonable price, and can expect it to last a good long time with minimal maintenance.

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:05 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin Cat View Post
The ONLY complaint (for me personally) that I have with the non-AS unit you selected is that I do not see any windows on either the front or the rear of the unit.

Our personal experience with our 25FB (great layout!), is that we most often back right into our view, and I love sitting at the dinette or relaxing on the sofa and looking out at the ocean, woods, whatever beautiful view nature has provided us with.
Hi Cats,

No front or rear windows is my biggest complaint about Resort as well; I'm a big fan of front and rear windows for the same reasons as you and have a tough time buying a trailer without at least rear windows.

The lack of front and rear windows on the new SOBs seems to be industry-wide, and I have no clue why. It's almost impossible to find models with front windows any more, and you usually have to go up to a 28'+ trailer (way too large for me) to get a rear living room setup with large back windows.

IMO, the 25FB is the best layout I've seen in a trailer under 26'. This floor plan seems to make the best use out of a relatively small space. It seems SOB manufacturers could easily copy the floor plan of the 25FB and they'd probably sell a ton of them, especially if they added a slide to the lounge area.

The only complaint I have with the 25FB besides the high initial cost is the round single-basin sink in the galley. Why did AS every switch to this style of sink in their kitchens? I realize it adds to the look of the trailer, but a square dual-basin sink seems so much more practical. Those of you with this setup in your AS, does this every annoy you when out camping?

Thanks!
'?? AS 25FB?
Portland, OR
Old 06-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
Other Things to Consider

Quote:
All the plumbing, even the stuff hidden in the cabinets looked well organized and properly sealed.
Even a "properly sealed" SOB may not stand up to the road like an Airstream with riveted construction. How is that SOB being held together and how will it stand up to the road over time?

Look at this used 25FB in the classifieds to give you an idea of the asking prices on used. This unit has been *garaged* and should therefore still look brand new. It's 1000 miles from you, but another one just like it will eventually come up near you.
75th Anniversary Edition 2006 25' Airstream Safari SE/LS - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Used Airstreams For Sale

It sounds like you'd be happier with an AS. The price needs to be within your budget, of course. My theory here is if a certain model year AS is not in the budget, then go slightly older until the prices come into the range of what you're planning to spend on a brand new SOB. It sounds like you'd be much happier with a used AS than a new SOB.

The windows issue is going to bug you. Our AS has the fully-opening windows and they are so nice and allow the breeze to come right through. We boondock quite a bit and usually have beautiful views not only from the panoramic end windows, but from the large street-side windows behind the couch.

Many used units will have the double sink like ours. We really like it. I keep a dish rack inside the other half to let dishes dry right in the sink.

The awning over your RV pad will be great, but I would not put a cover on an Airstream. It'll really scratch up the skin with the wind.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #18
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Quote:
Hi Cats,

The only complaint I have with the 25FB besides the high initial cost is the round single-basin sink in the galley. Why did AS every switch to this style of sink in their kitchens? I realize it adds to the look of the trailer, but a square dual-basin sink seems so much more practical. Those of you with this setup in your AS, does this every annoy you when out camping?

Thanks!
We have an '08 25FB Safari and have the rectangular double sink. At the time, the 27FB had the round galley sink and was a major reason I rejected it (though I would dearly love that extra two feet!!! Queen bed turned to allow easier making of and access to the bed, one foot more closet and pantry space!). I thought I saw pics of a new 27'FB that had a similar sink as mine.

I agree with you, this layout makes great use of the space! We have been very pleased with it. IF you have a tall overnight guest, his feet can extend from the sofa onto the dinette area (my son is about 5'10" and this was an important part of our consideration, and if he has a friend with us they both have their feet in that corner).

If you love it, keep looking, be patient, a good one will come to you at just the right price. Once you have been bitten, there is no cure

For me, the windows would be a deal breaker. When you are inside for whatever reason, unless it is dark out, you still have your view

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote