Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2016, 04:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Westlake Village , California
2 issues with 2016 model

I just spent 4 nights in my very first RV, a 2016 27FB Sig Series. This forum has been very helpful in preparing me for getting the best possible experience with my trailer. I experienced 2 issues.... The first issue came on the morning of the last day. I was hooked up to shore power and had the battery disconnect on the store position. On the the last evening, I decided to put the switch in use mode to charge the battery. The next morning, one of the batteries was boiling water. Fortunately, I had distilled water with me and was able to refill 3 of the cells. I am assuming this isn't normal. I am going to try again over the presidents weekend and play around with it more. Any suggestions.

The 2nd issue is with the electric heater - Dometic. We ran the heater the whole time and the trailer was leaking a significant amount of water down the outside rear of the trailer. I would think these trailers have a condensation pan with a drain tube. Maybe I'm wrong but fortunately it leaks on the outside and not on the inside.

Otherwise, we couldn't be any happier with Airstream and the seemingly awesome culture that comes with ownership.
Zstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Regarding you Dometic Air heat pump, Airstreams have a condensation drain system whereas the run off is forward of the wheels & not visible except for the puddle, so on yours something is not right. The battery boil sounds like a converter/charger issue.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . the 1st two of many potential problems, I'm afraid. . . just because you paid big bucks for that trailer, don't assume Airstream installed a smart charger to keep that from happening, they didn't in my FC 28 in 2010, had to upgrade it myself !. . .as for heat, we use the furnace (I know, & propane), seems to work better & quieter. We love our AS but it's not put together in many ways like we would hope. . . enjoy, Craig
Old 01-27-2016, 04:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
That battery is cooked. You might as well plan on two new ones.

If the heat source was at the ceiling, you were running the heat pump mode of the air conditioner(s) and not the furnace. If the heat pumps were used, often the factory has had issues properly installing the condensate drains from the air conditioners on the roof.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Congrats on the new trailer and glad you're mostly enjoying it. My wife and I bought new a few years ago partly because of the 2 year warranty. Keep a punch list going, talk with your dealer and depending on your location and interests, consider a trip to Jackson Center for some of the warranty work and a great discussion with the techs there.

Happy camping!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I wouldn't give two cents for the heat pump mode of our air conditioner, too loud and virtually worthless near 40 degrees. The furnace is excellent. We use the furnace to supplement our Dyson Hot space heater which is whisper quiet, circulates air beautifully through the Airstream, directs the warm air to our feet not our head, and has excellent temperature regulation. Much, much better heater than the heat pump.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:35 PM   #7
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Were you running the heat pump or the furnace? (Doug, the heat pump in the new trailers with ducting is much more tolerable.)
Was the water coming from the roof and down the rear of the trailer or from the furnace vent door?
Your batteries could have been cooked at the dealership before you even bought.
Get in touch with your dealer for resolution.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I agree with Doug, the heat pump is nearly useless as it is too noisy and not all that effective except at warmer temperatures where it really isn't needed anyway. If you are hooked up to shore power (a necessity to use the heat pump) and you don't want to use the propane furnace for whatever reason, I would suggest using an electric space heater instead. We have a Dyson space heater and it works well keeping us toasty warm down to the mid 20's, brrrr.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:10 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Westlake Village , California
I have ducted air so the heater actually works nicely. I agree the furnace is better but I'm in CA and the furnace makes it too warm. The water comes down the rear to the left of the door and makes a huge mess under the steps. I called the dealer and they insist the batteries are new but nevertheless I can drive the hour and a half to get them looked at since I'm still under warranty. I'm a little annoyed to say the least
Zstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:37 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zstreamer View Post
I have ducted air so the heater actually works nicely. I agree the furnace is better but I'm in CA and the furnace makes it too warm. The water comes down the rear to the left of the door and makes a huge mess under the steps. I called the dealer and they insist the batteries are new but nevertheless I can drive the hour and a half to get them looked at since I'm still under warranty. I'm a little annoyed to say the least
I've been told that the warranty period on the Interstate Batteries starts on the date they are installed in the trailer, not the date you purchase the trailer. Not 100% sure, but I would think you could go to any place that sells Interstate brand and have them tested and/or replaced. I agree the heat pumps are much more tolerable with the ducted air, but we also have a Dyson heater, which we use more often, Dyson makes great heaters.
Enjoy your new Airstream, good luck!
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:38 PM   #11
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
My thought is the batteries were shot from lack of use, and, lack of trickle charge. The isolation switch should be on when using the trailer, including enroute to the campground, so the TV can charge them and, ensure your trailer brakes, and the breakaway switch, will work. If the dealer won't replace, find an Interstate battery dealer who very likely will. Heat pumps are by definition, not useful under 40 degrees. Our furnace is a little quieter, in our 08 Classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote