Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2015, 01:01 PM   #1
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
2016 Interstate Lounge EXT from 2014 model

Hello again everyone - pulling trigger on 2016 AS upgrade. The electronic add ons are really excellent and for $40k difference its hard not to go from a 2 year old rig to a new one. (Since I use my van 100% for work the Sec179 won't hurt either).

- Even after all the swearing, and scraped fingers fixing the issues with my 2014 (mostly AS Quality issues) I'm sticking with AS. The finish is superb compared to others in the price range, and to get into 'private jet' quality the price jumps substantially!

Questions (specifically to others that made the move, or 2016 newbies that have gripes)

1) I noticed AS moved the electronics to 1st cabinet driver side; any downside to this that any 2016 owners noticed?

2) AS has chosen the MB High center of gravity suspension package on all its vans, question is does this help any? I had to upgrade the suspension on the 2014 to make it even tolerable in the rear, and get rid of issues when pulling out of driveway, or following a big rig.

3) Screen Doors - how are they?

4) Sound System - my 2014 steering wheel controls basically operated the volume and nothing else - is that fixed on the 2016 models so i can forward to next track, etc? Are the speakers any better than normal OEM, I upgraded my 2014 to Clarion with amp (really wishing I could pull them and transfer to 2016 since I'm sure the dealer isn't adding any to trade for them!)

5) Generator: any quieter than 2014? No way you're running that thing at night, or when wife is trying to nap while you get some computer work done!

6) AC Unit - I assume it is the same unit that is so loud you can't talk on the phone in the back without crawling in the lavatory (phone booth as my wife calls it).

7) Color: finally - the color question, I've already made my choice, but I'll start the color debate. Pros/Cons. My 2014 was Silver but every time I saw a black one I just wished I had a black one. The black is so damn sexy and 'limo like'. Of course I go to the desert and sand areas a lot - and my sliver one (no matter how much mud and gunk I drive through) always looks clean. I know that will change with Black for sure!

As always - thanks for everyone's input. hope to take this one to 300,000 miles!
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I like the black ones, too.

Maggie
Old 12-09-2015, 01:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
What's the MB High center of gravity suspension package? Does that provide more ground clearance and by how much? I'm wondering if all the suspension options (4x4 and VB Air Suspension) can be combined to provide reasonable ground clearance. My goal is to to be able to drive the dirt road around Monument Valley. 😀

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:51 PM   #4
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
What's the MB High center of gravity suspension package? Does that provide more ground clearance and by how much? I'm wondering if all the suspension options (4x4 and VB Air Suspension) can be combined to provide reasonable ground clearance. My goal is to to be able to drive the dirt road around Monument Valley. 😀

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
I see no change in ground clearance - I take mine off road; but mostly in sand; so when the hitch drags (it is low point on departure angle) not a big deal. Rocks and boulders in the road, or even ruts deeper than 5" are a no go for sure!

This is option CODE CF5 from Mercedes (from option book below)

With this package code harder rear springs (no helper leaf), a higher-capacity front axle and higher-capacity stabilizers are installed. In addition, even better tuned shock absorbers are installed depending on model variant.

Benefits: Improved handling, reduction or roll angle.

The higher capacity stabilizer has a better stabilizing effect than the standard version. It reduces roll which occurs when cornering with a load with a high center of gravity or wen the front axle load is unequally distributed.

http://www.sprinter-rv.com/wp-conten...art-1-of-2.pdf (Page 77)
Old 12-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
What's the MB High center of gravity suspension package? Does that provide more ground clearance and by how much?
If I had to guess it reduces sway but doesn't increase ground clearance at all. High CG contributes to rollover if you take turns too quickly. But increasing ground clearance raises the CG and also contributes to rollover, so that would defeat the purpose.

On Edit— what MILATV said, which is a more technical way of saying what I said.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I've done solar/battery upgrades on 3 - 2016 Grand Tour models with several more on the schedule. From my point of view, several changes that Airstream made give you unencumbered storage space below the rear lounge but there IS a price to pay (isn't there always???)

The monitor panels are now behind the driver seat in an upper cabinet. They are further away from everything and increase the PIA factor when trying t upgrade items like Magnum inverter remotes (ME-RC) or adding a solar controller monitor (Blue Sky iPN-PRO) or running additional wires for things like an internal LP solenoid disconnect switch.

The breaker and fuse panel are now located below the street side seat in front of the lounge, as is the Magnum MMS-1012 inverter/charger and BIM. There is no room to upgrade things like power centers or to add a larger inverter in that space, so they must be positioned elsewhere.

Batteries are now outside the coach behind the street side drive wheels under the floor. Only access is from outside and underneath the vehicle. Given the shape and location of these battery trays, there is little possibility of upgrading batteries without heavy modifications/replacement of these boxes; or my choice…..adding things like lithium batteries inside the coach. Just some observations from my perspective.

Otherwise…..NICE COACH!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:36 PM   #7
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Batteries are now outside the coach behind the street side drive wheels under the floor. Only access is from outside and underneath the vehicle.
Did AS put a temp sensor on the magnum this time?
Old 12-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post

2) AS has chosen the MB High center of gravity suspension package on all its vans, question is does this help any? I had to upgrade the suspension on the 2014 to make it even tolerable in the rear, and get rid of issues when pulling out of driveway, or following a big rig.

Did you order the VB air suspension?

5) Generator: any quieter than 2014? No way you're running that thing at night, or when wife is trying to nap while you get some computer work done!

Adding the Onan muffler helps but it's still loud, just not as loud as the A/C.

7) Color: finally - the color question, I've already made my choice, but I'll start the color debate. Pros/Cons. My 2014 was Silver but every time I saw a black one I just wished I had a black one. The black is so damn sexy and 'limo like'. Of course I go to the desert and sand areas a lot - and my sliver one (no matter how much mud and gunk I drive through) always looks clean. I know that will change with Black for sure!

My previous three vehicles were black and I loved the look. After 20 years of keeping them clean, I decided to go back to silver. All three of our vehicles are now silver. Not as sexy but sure frees up a lot of time. If I lived in a dryer climate w/o snow, I might consider black again.
When I get mine sold, plan to check w/ a local upfitter on costs of building one like I want.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:41 PM   #9
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Did you order the Air Suspension
They had one in stock in Dayton, but just too far apart on the numbers ($47k vs $40k).

At $7,000 difference in the two rigs I figured I'd try the new MB option to see if there was any improvement.

In the end I will probably wish I had gone for the Air Ride; but honestly only have riders in the back when going back and forth at Christmas - and at $7,000 I could fly everyone a couple of times

RE: Black vs Silver - I'm now living in NC (rather than IL) so hoping it will stay cleaner a bit more out here. Wife already said that if we decided we didn't like it, the next one would be black.

RE: Build one - I hear you. I wish I was a patient man and could wait for one to be built.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
RE: Black vs Silver - I'm now living in NC (rather than IL) so hoping it will stay cleaner a bit more out here. Wife already said that if we decided we didn't like it, the next one would be black.
So which color did you order?

Old 12-09-2015, 06:30 PM   #11
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
When I get mine sold, plan to check w/ a local upfitter on costs of building one like I want.
Shark, please enlighten me on the Onan muffler? 1st I've heard of this but seems like a plausible solution to a rather noisy propane fueled generator.
Bill
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:37 PM   #12
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
Shark, please enlighten me on the Onan muffler? 1st I've heard of this but seems like a plausible solution to a rather noisy propane fueled generator.
Bill
I took mine to an auto muffler shop and they fabbed a pipe, welded it to existing exhaust and mounted it with rubber bracket. Helped substantially and only cost around $125.

He actually just found a muffler in stock that had about 1.5" intake pipe and made it work.

Really great guys; figure any private owned muffler shop should be able to. (national chains may not have flexibility to do it).
Old 12-09-2015, 06:41 PM   #13
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
So which color did you order?
Buying the Black (from dealer inventory)

New 2016 Airstream Interstate Class B For Sale In Marion, NC - MNC1216451 - Camping World

Tom Johnson's in Concord, NC is delivering it and picking up my trade on Friday here in Pinehurst, NC.

They are showing me $120,100 trade in against sticker ($40,000 dif OTD)
That deal was just too good to pass up.

The silver was actually $500 cheaper - I just remember how many Black ones I saw and wished mine was so awesome looking
Old 12-09-2015, 06:44 PM   #14
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
SIDE NOTE: Rear Ladder
- the Dayton Dealer told me he was subtracting $1000 from the trade value of my van because I had a ladder on it and they would have to remove it and patch the mounting holes.

Just a warning to anyone else considering a ladder - I loved mine; tied all kinds of stuff to it, and used it all the time to wash the top, adjust the awning sensor (fun) and stand on roof to launch a DJI drone at the gun range (too crowded in parking area).

I plan to put one on the new rig as well! even if it does cost me $1000 in value 300,000 miles from now.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:49 PM   #15

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
It's actually a resonator, not a muffler. I have one on my Interstate, and it provides about a 3dB reduction in volume, as measured by my decibel meter app on my smartphone. That means that the sound volume is cut in half from outside the van, but not from inside.

The Onan generator already has a muffler, inside the enclosure. A long exhaust pipe is added by Airstream to get the exhaust out from under the van so it's less likely to enter the van through one of the many floor penetrations. To install the resonator, the exhaust pipe is shortened, and the resonator replaces the cut-off section. However, the resonator is also heavier than the original exhaust pipe, so it may be necessary to add another pipe hanger.

One reason why the sound is still so loud from inside the van is that like all internal combustion engines, the Onan generator vibrates as it runs, and the vibration is transferred to the van's body through the mounting brackets. Reducing the sound of the exhaust doesn't reduce this vibration.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:54 PM   #16
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
It's actually a resonator, not a muffler. I have one on my Interstate, and it provides about a 3dB reduction in volume, as measured by my decibel meter app on my smartphone. That means that the sound volume is cut in half from outside the van, but not from inside.

The Onan generator already has a muffler, inside the enclosure. A long exhaust pipe is added by Airstream to get the exhaust out from under the van so it's less likely to enter the van through one of the many floor penetrations. To install the resonator, the exhaust pipe is shortened, and the resonator replaces the cut-off section. However, the resonator is also heavier than the original exhaust pipe, so it may be necessary to add another pipe hanger.

One reason why the sound is still so loud from inside the van is that like all internal combustion engines, the Onan generator vibrates as it runs, and the vibration is transferred to the van's body through the mounting brackets. Reducing the sound of the exhaust doesn't reduce this vibration.
Is there a specifice resonator or just one that fits?
Old 12-09-2015, 07:07 PM   #17

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Is there a specifice resonator or just one that fits?
The one I have is made by Onan.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:37 PM   #18
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
The one I have is made by Onan.
Found it online for $44 shipped. As soon as it arrives I'll determine what I need for clamps and a hanger. Thanks for the tip protag. Should help.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Bill
Here's a link to my DIY thread for the install. Like Protag said it makes a bigger difference outside but inside I saw less of a noise reduction which puts it on about the same level as the Dometic A/C.

Here's another thread discussing it.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:07 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
If I had to guess it reduces sway but doesn't increase ground clearance at all. High CG contributes to rollover if you take turns too quickly. But increasing ground clearance raises the CG and also contributes to rollover, so that would defeat the purpose.

On Edit— what MILATV said, which is a more technical way of saying what I said.

The 4x4 option - which my dealer said is available from Airstream - adds 3-4 inches of height, so that must increase the chance of a rollover, but in my opinion doesn't do much to increase any off-road ability due to that huge overhang at the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote