Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2018, 04:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1959 28' Ambassador
Victoria , Minnesota
1959 Ambassador Remodel

Hello everyone!
I’ve been lurking on this forum for a long time reading and learning. When the opportunity arose we jumped on it to purchase a 1959 Ambassador from a nice gentleman we met. He had already done a shell off frame restoration with a new floor, insulation, and new belly pan which were the things I had no interest in completing myself. The exterior of the shell is in seemingly good shape outside of the rear panel that needs to be replaced.
I have tons of questions that I’ll be asking in the appropriate forums for this model but if you have one, let me know! I’d love to pick your brain. Plus, I have a lot of original parts that we won’t be reusing.
Cheers!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1937.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	318354Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1938.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	318355Click image for larger version

Name:	5607D764-F261-4B5C-B317-505AA716B124.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	438.8 KB
ID:	318356
Kyacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Welcome to the Forums. That looks like a great project. Luckily, there’s a great amount of information on the Forums to assist you. There wasn’t a whole lot that changed from the mid to latter fifties. Bargman, Hehr, Humphrey and others are all there. A fun looking project. Take care and good luck, Bubba
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:17 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1959 28' Ambassador
Victoria , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
Welcome to the Forums. That looks like a great project. Luckily, there’s a great amount of information on the Forums to assist you. There wasn’t a whole lot that changed from the mid to latter fifties. Bargman, Hehr, Humphrey and others are all there. A fun looking project. Take care and good luck, Bubba

Thank you sir!
Old 07-29-2018, 06:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome from Colorado, formally from Minnesota. I spent a lot of time around Victoria and in Carver Park. We lived in the Delano area.

I almost bought a 59 Overlander 26' I found near Rochester. It was in good enough shape, but it was the standard single axle and it just looked too long for a single axle. It looks like your trailer only shorter. So I bought a 66 Trade Wind in Litchfield instead. Me and that Trade Wind spent three Minnesota winters enjoying each other's company. It was a much fun project.

Now I'm working on a 75 Overlander. It doesn't have the "twinkie" vintage look, but it is 43 years old nonetheless. I felt the Trade Wind was too "delicate" for family use, what with its rather unique parts and the like. The Overlander is pretty much standard Airstream stuff. I want to make a reliable travel trailer the whole family can enjoy for this trip and that.

You might consider starting a "project thread" in the Airstream Trailer Knowledgebase where you can post your activities and questions, and photos. Renovating these vintage Airstreams is a main part of these Forums.

Welcome...

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1309 Door Side (Small).JPG
Views:	62
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	318378   Click image for larger version

Name:	1309 Gaucho (Small).JPG
Views:	64
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	318379  

WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:51 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1959 28' Ambassador
Victoria , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Welcome from Colorado, formally from Minnesota. I spent a lot of time around Victoria and in Carver Park. We lived in the Delano area.

I almost bought a 59 Overlander 26' I found near Rochester. It was in good enough shape, but it was the standard single axle and it just looked too long for a single axle. It looks like your trailer only shorter. So I bought a 66 Trade Wind in Litchfield instead. Me and that Trade Wind spent three Minnesota winters enjoying each other's company. It was a much fun project.

Now I'm working on a 75 Overlander. It doesn't have the "twinkie" vintage look, but it is 43 years old nonetheless. I felt the Trade Wind was too "delicate" for family use, what with its rather unique parts and the like. The Overlander is pretty much standard Airstream stuff. I want to make a reliable travel trailer the whole family can enjoy for this trip and that.

You might consider starting a "project thread" in the Airstream Trailer Knowledgebase where you can post your activities and questions, and photos. Renovating these vintage Airstreams is a main part of these Forums.

Welcome...

David

Thanks David! I appreciate the heads up!
Old 07-30-2018, 05:07 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1959 28' Ambassador
Victoria , Minnesota
Quote:

Welcome...

David

That reminds me, what did you do with the ‘59 Overlander?
Old 07-30-2018, 06:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi Kyacker: I left it sit. I didn't make any offer on it. It just wasn't my project trailer. I could only imagine that trailer swaying like crazy in cross winds or truck traffic. I think it is rare for a 26' Airstream to have just a single axle.

Your Ambassador is rather rare actually, at least I don't see too much written about them. I think many buyers just ponied up for the 31' Sovereign instead if they wanted a big trailer.

You have probably read the Airstream Document Archives on your 59 Ambassador. If not, here is a link. I use these archives frequently looking up this specification or that.

David

https://www.airstream.com/service/document-archive/
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:02 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1959 28' Ambassador
Victoria , Minnesota
Quote:
Hi Kyacker: I left it sit. I didn't make any offer on it. It just wasn't my project trailer. I could only imagine that trailer swaying like crazy in cross winds or truck traffic. I think it is rare for a 26' Airstream to have just a single axle.

Your Ambassador is rather rare actually, at least I don't see too much written about them. I think many buyers just ponied up for the 31' Sovereign instead if they wanted a big trailer.

You have probably read the Airstream Document Archives on your 59 Ambassador. If not, here is a link. I use these archives frequently looking up this specification or that.

David

https://www.airstream.com/service/document-archive/

Ohhhhhi thought you owned it! Ha!
I have seen the archives, yes! They’re nice. Unfortunately the info around the ‘59 is pretty sparse.
Looking at the serial it looks like ours is #75 of 82 I think they made.

Tags