Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2006 - 2010 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
lrw
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dundee , Michigan
Zip dee awning

Is it just us, or should would think about replacing our zip-dee awning with one that's easier to put up and take down. We have a 2007 classic 30' and it's only our 4th time using the trailer and we already dread dealing with the awning. It looks nice once it's up.
lrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrw View Post
Is it just us, or should would think about replacing our zip-dee awning with one that's easier to put up and take down. We have a 2007 classic 30' and it's only our 4th time using the trailer and we already dread dealing with the awning. It looks nice once it's up.
Perhaps your doing it wrong.

One person can extend the awning, have the support arms in place and have the center support in place as well, in about 3 to 4 minutes.

Call Zip Dee at 800-3382378 and ask for Linda.

Ask her for the step by step instructions.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Yakima , Washington
We completely understand what you are talking about. We took our trailer to a private spot and practiced until we got it. Gloria holds the strap and I work with the arms. I don't think she could pull the arms up because it is so heavy.

We understand that the 2014 has an electric awning and that the dealer has one on the show room floor. We talked to the dealer about replacing it with the new electric zip dee but the retro kit has not come in yet. They said something about it would cost around 3k. That is a lot of money but it might be worth it.
Mike-Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
They are a bit fiddly but easy once you get the hang of it.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
They are really not that much trouble if nothing is bent and one has the hang of it.

Easier than any other brand to me.

Search for operating zipdee awning on YouTube. The factory has a video there about how to do it. I'd post the link but I am on a tablet.

If the main arms are difficult to pull out of the tubes, try silicon spray lube, if that doesn't help they may be bent. They are easily replaced or straightened.

I do my alone in about 3 minutes.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Here is an excellent video on how to set them up and take them down.

Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Also ZD makes some inexpensive handles that will help tremendously.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Also when pulling out patio awning , roll pull strap up it will keep awning deployed, then can proceed to set up awning all by yourself, handles makes job much easier. I have ruptered bicep rt. arm also rotator cuff rt. shoulder comp. destroyed. I do not have any prob. deploying awning. Much easier than carefree that took 2 persons to deploy. Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
There is an apparent love affair with many owners and the ZipDee. I am NOT one of them. (We just had a back and forth on the claw fitting that is made of pot metal and breaks....for some of us, fairly often.) One guy posted that he always has two spares with him. Others will say, it's designed that way so you break the claw instead of something more expensive. I say, "hogwash!" I've broken two of these (actually my son broke one). We are not stupid and not mechanically savvy either. Putting the awning up takes a series of very specific choreographed steps that are done in a specific sequence. I believe it also takes a fair degree of upper body strength to "spear" the arm and catch the right pawl and LIFT the awning into a position high enough to clear the door. If you have heavy coin you can buy their new electric version...it's somewhere around $3,000.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 31' Sovereign
Manlius , New York
I usually put the awning out solo on the 75 sovereign. I agree that practicing is a really good idea...we keep the arms lubed with silicone spray just as JD suggests. It is an expensive replacement...
SilvryClaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The Zip Dee awning is easier to put up than the other brands once you are used to it- less steps.
Mine was easier this trip. It may just getting a little easier because of use. Maybe it was a little stiffer when new. I put the center support in first to hold it out then extend the arms and raise it up until the door clears.
The parts all seem to be lining better now. Maybe they are sort of settling in. The little clamp wheels and travel hooks seem to be easier to do. Maybe I have adapted to the routine.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
The ZipDee is a piece of cake if you do it right. Mike posted a deployment video above, and here is another video for some good tips. I've been setting up my 20' awning for 7 years and still learned some good ideas from these videos. How to Setup and Take Down Your Awning - YouTube
Old 08-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The claws were broken when we took delivery of our trailer. They had been broken by someone at the dealership who didn't know how or wasn't paying attention.
I know they are brittle cast metal so I am Extremely tender and careful with them and make sure they hook exactly where they are supposed to hook.
I have seen people with the claws hooked in the wrong place.
I am concerned that high winds while the awning is "deployed" could break the claws. I never have the awning out in the wind.
The road side awnings are easier to "deploy" and the back awning is really easy to "deploy".
The front window cover is also easy to "deploy".
Sometimes I put out all but the "big top".
Sometimes I put the "big top" out during the day, but put it in at night because I don't want dew to fall on it.
The trailer is beautiful when all "unfurled".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	193582   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	587.7 KB
ID:	193583  

Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	479.4 KB
ID:	193584   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	571.2 KB
ID:	193585  

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
The only awning you are going to find that is "easier" to deploy is the fully automated ones that extend and retract with the touch of a button. Yes, they are pricey.

Another option might be to remove your Zipdee altogether and get hold of a "vintage" rope and pole awning (I think VTS sells them). If you can set up a badminton net, you can set up one of these, but you have to store the poles and awnings, and you will typically need two people to set it up.

I have an old A&E awning, and it looks like it deploys effectively the same as the Zipdee. I don't have any problem putting it up by myself, but my wife would be very reluctant to try it by herself.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:34 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Also ZD makes some inexpensive handles that will help tremendously.
Ditto, tremendously.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
I recently had to replace the roller tube on my Zip - Dee....I left it up in the rain - major bonehead manuver,I did most of the work myself. And I have to concur with Andy, Linda at Zip Dee was extremely helpful. The you tube video posted above was an eye opener.

There is now a motor that can be retrofit on any Zip Dee awning that automates the process. Assuring that the arms are properly lubricated - with Silicone only according to Zip Dee - is crucial to ease of use of these things, the claws on the rafter arms attach to the top of my roller tube, and I have had no issue with breakage.
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
The mechanical portion of my Awning is probably 30 years old...
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #18
Gunter

1966 24' Tradewind
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrosti View Post
I recently had to replace the roller tube on my Zip - Dee....I left it up in the rain - major bonehead manuver,I did most of the work myself. And I have to concur with Andy, Linda at Zip Dee was extremely helpful. The you tube video posted above was an eye opener.

There is now a motor that can be retrofit on any Zip Dee awning that automates the process. Assuring that the arms are properly lubricated - with Silicone only according to Zip Dee - is crucial to ease of use of these things, the claws on the rafter arms attach to the top of my roller tube, and I have had no issue with breakage.
I was told by Zip Dee that they not have a retrofit kit for my motorhome awning since it is a 1984.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrosti View Post

Ah yes, the school of hard knocks is still in businees.

Extending your awning out to be parallel with the roof, is fine, "IF" you will be at or near the trailer.

If your going to leave for a while, the drop the rear support arm, so that the awning has a good "TILT" to in as it goes rearward.

Or, to play it real safe, check with the weather bureau to see if any storms are forcasted for your area.

If so, then return the awning to it's travel position, before you leave.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #20
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I, too, like the look of "deployed awnings." For sure, I'm not prone to leave the trailer if there's any possibility of major wind. Using them, though, is definitely a learning experience. Like the optional rear and awning with the two aluminum support rods. If you aren't very careful it's easy to miss the small bracket the support rod fits into. If you miss it, you have now get some permanent dents in your trailer. I guess people will know I at least have used them!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote