Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2006 - 2010 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2015, 09:23 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Where's the transfer switch?

I have a 2009 Rear Bed Classic. It has a receptacle on the front for generator power, but it doesn't work so I thought I'd troubleshoot the transfer switch. According to my trailer original invoice I have one, but I haven't been able to find it. Anyone have any suggestions where to look?

Thanks.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
No expert on your model but most if not all transfer switches are behind the converter.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:16 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Quote:
No expert on your model but most if not all transfer switches are behind the converter.
Thanks for your suggestion, but mine's not there. I think AS never installed it because it's no where to be found.
WBCCI #2810
Old 02-01-2015, 12:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
You could always give Airstream a call Mon and ask where it should be in your model. Or send them an e-mail.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:57 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Some models have the transfer switch under the corner lounge, next to the cabinet that houses the galley sink.
Are you sure it was originally equipped with a second inlet?
Old 02-01-2015, 03:29 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Quote:
Are you sure it was originally equipped with a second inlet?
All I know for sure is there's a male 30 amp generator receptacle on the trailer front and that a transfer switch is listed on the original invoice. I've replaced the converter and there was not one present in that area. I've looked in the area of the 120v panel and cannot find one there.

Any other suggestions?
WBCCI #2810
Old 02-01-2015, 11:35 PM   #7
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
On my Classic it is behind a screwed on grey carpeted cover located on the inside of the roadside rear corner under the A/C shoreline male socket. On the rear queen bed it is in the storage compartment on the rear curbside corner. Hope this helps.
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:38 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Quote:
On my Classic it is behind a screwed on grey carpeted cover located on the inside of the roadside rear corner under the A/C shoreline male socket. On the rear queen bed it is in the storage compartment on the rear curbside corner. Hope this helps.
Thanks Guskmg. I found it's supposed to be where you said. However, it proves you don't always get what you pay for. As you can see from the pictures, AS plant never installed it. Notice the wire marked "Gen" that is not connected to anything much less a transfer switch. Wonder if AS will fix this under warranty on a 2009? Somehow I doubt it, but I'm going to call them anyhow. I'll let you all know if they do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1301.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	231543   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1303.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	231544  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1304.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	231545  
WBCCI #2810
Old 02-02-2015, 07:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Are you the original owner? If not, maybe the original owner removed the switch.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:00 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Quote:
Are you the original owner? If not, maybe the original owner removed the switch.
I'm the second owner. I cannot imagine why someone would remove a transfer switch and not replace it. Furthermore, the wires are stripped, but the ends are straight as though they've never been terminated or connected with anything (e.g. wirenuts, connectors, etc.
WBCCI #2810
Old 02-02-2015, 08:12 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I saw that. Very strange situation. People do weird things sometimes. Don't ask me how I know! O-)
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:47 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Can't help with the question, but I am just wondering why a transfer switch is used with an RV?

If I understand, a transfer switch is used in a house when an emergency generator is to be used to ensure that the home owner cannot inadvertently back feed the incoming power lines and maybe injure of kill an electrical worker who maybe working on the distribution lines outside.

But why do you need a transfer switch with a trailer?

I don't have one in our 2005 Classic 30, and any time I use the gennie I just plug the main "power in" cable into the gennie instead of a campground supply box. Presume that is what most folks do.

What am I missing here insofar as the reason for a transfer switch on an Airstream?

Just curious!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:04 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
AS mounts a 30 amp male receptacle on the trailer front (this may be an option) for plugging a genset there. As you said, the shore power cord and receptacle could be used, but it's a convenience sometimes to plug into the front instead.

My main interest in wanting a transfer switch and knowing its location is to use it or a replacement one, if need be, in conjunction with an inverter powered by the solar system I just installed.

You're right that a transfer switch or relay is also used to switch between grid power and generator power. Same principle, but different application.
WBCCI #2810
Old 02-02-2015, 09:19 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Hmm

Please edumacate me as I am getting ready to purchase a gen-set.
It IS normal to have to turn a transfer switch inside of your rig if you are to use the front 30 amp male receptacle?

My previous owner mentioned nothing about this, but he didn't have a generator either. So I too should find a transfer switch?
Thank you for educating me.
Gavin
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:34 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Fish,
When present, a transfer switch automatically switches between shore power and gen power when the gen comes on even if still plugged into shore power. Its purpose is to ensure you're not getting power simultaneously from both sources.

If you have a front receptacle, you're supposed to have an AS installed transfer switch also. I believe the front receptacle feature is an option.

Mine has the receptacle, but my gen wouldn't power my trailer from the front receptacle therefore my quest to find the transfer switch. Turns out the factory never installed it and left bare wires in the rear compartment.
WBCCI #2810
Old 02-02-2015, 11:52 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Transfer Switch in My 2012 International

Ours is located under the double bed behind the power inverter (the box with circuit breakers & fuses). My understanding is that it automatically disables the unused power port (the 30 amp receptacle) when the other is in use. So, if you're powering the trailer with shore power through the rear port, for example, the front port won't accept power from, say, a gen-set.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jerry
Old 02-02-2015, 02:27 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Transfer

AC,
Thank you for clarifying. I don't think my front receptacle has ever been used. I will definitely try it, just as soon as I can to insure I'm not in the same boat.
When I saw your post, I was thinking in terms of a Guest manual selector switch used in most boats today. I always thought that would be automatic in an AS.
Thank you again for settiing the record straight. Does anyone have a picture of what theirs looks like or know who the manufacturer is? I sure would like to find mine so I'm not cursing like AC. What did AS say if/when you called them AC?
Gavin
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:17 PM   #18
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
The transfer switch is most likely required by code, for safety reasons. If the trailer has two inlets for 120v, they can't just be hooked up in parallel. If they were, and a shore cord was connected to one, the prongs of the other one would be hot, and that's an unacceptable shock hazard. When either inlet is connected to 120v, the switch senses the voltage and isolates the other inlet.

I notice that, in this case, the inlet receptacles are different brands. One appears to be a Furrion, the other a Marinco. This leads me to believe the second AC inlet wasn't a factory install. I'd guess the selling dealer installed it as a DO (dealer option) and screwed it up. If you're not the original owner, good luck getting any satisfaction. Bite the bullet and get it connected safely.
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Fred,
Was an onboard generator an option on your AS and you have it or are you using a portable? If not an on board, everything makes sense unless you got charged for a transfer switch that didn't need to be installed.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:07 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The transfer switch's job is to prevent a meeting of both generator power and shore power in the trailer. It creates an either/or situation. When the generator provides power, the switch breaks the connection to the rear power plug to prevent shore power from coming into the coach while the generator is producing power. Turn the generator off because shore power is now available, then the front power inlet is isolated.

For five more dollars, the factory could have installed an actual contractor from the same vendor instead of a cheap solid state device that tends to fail.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote