Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #1

1972 31' Sovereign
Scottsdale , Arizona
Smile Floor replacement in a 1972 31' Airstream

We need to understand how to replace the complete floor in our Airstream as it is rotted in many areas. The trailer has already been gutted. It will be used as a traveling showroom for selling products so all of the the old cabinets, appliances, bath fixtures, etc. will not be reused.

My questions:
1.) does the body need to be "loosened" to install the new floor?
2.) what thickness and type of flooring is recommended? (we are planning to use a floating type cork floor over the new flooring)
3.) can the original screws be reused or are new ones recommended?

Any tips or recommendations would really be appreciated. We have basic carpentry skills but have never attempted anything quite like this.

Thank you for your help.

Papa Joe
papajoes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Start by looking at similar threads here

Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame - Airstream Forums
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #3

1972 31' Sovereign
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi Aerowood,
I spent a few hours reading the forum before I sent my message. As a "newbie" at this type of project, there's seems to be some conflicting and, in my case, confusing information. I sent my message to see if anyone had completed a similar project. I noticed you're from Arvada. I lived there for 20 years before relocating to Arizona.

Papa Joe
Old 04-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
San Antonio , Texas
Papa Joe,

As far as I know you have to remove the lower inner skins and the belly pan from underneath. The plywood floor is bolted to the frame and contributes significantly to the structural integrity of the trailer. My trailer has 3/4" plywood. I plan on replacing with about the same some time...

I think I am going to try to replace the sheet in the front of the trailer this weekend and hope to post some photos as I figure it out. I plan on replacing the screws/bolts as they seem to be pretty rusted from years of moisture/rot.

I think you can put pretty much any type of flooring in that you like. Recommend something light to keep the whole trailer light.

Guys like Wasachris, Top and Terry have been helpful either through messages or simply following their posts.

Hope some of this helps.

Randall
Old 04-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
San Antonio , Texas
Sorry...forgot to mention marzboy also
Old 04-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #6

1972 31' Sovereign
Scottsdale , Arizona
Thank you Randall! Your help is appreciated.

Papa Joe