Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2005, 10:37 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Elevator bolts?????????????

I am getting ready to buy my elevator bolts and have a few questions. What size were the originals? Can they be shorter since I don't have to bend them over? Which finish of bolt? Stainless? Galvanized? Zinc? Also, are most of you just using the original holes between where the plywood butts together? Or is it better to drill new holes in the frame and through the edges of each sheet? I searched the threads and couldn't find any specific answers to these questions. Thanks in advance!
58BUBBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 12:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58BUBBLE
I am getting ready to buy my elevator bolts and have a few questions. What size were the originals? Can they be shorter since I don't have to bend them over? Which finish of bolt? Stainless? Galvanized? Zinc? Also, are most of you just using the original holes between where the plywood butts together? Or is it better to drill new holes in the frame and through the edges of each sheet? I searched the threads and couldn't find any specific answers to these questions. Thanks in advance!
I used galvenized elevator bolts mostly because that was what I could find locally. Are you finding a source of stainless ones? It couldn't hurt to use stainless but I for one don't think it is necessary. All my originals seemed to be 1/4" diameter so that is what I went with. My old ones were sufficiently rusted that I could not tell if they had originally be galvenized or not but I am pretty sure they were not stainless steel. I also used lock nuts of the type with the nylon insert. I think your bolts can be shorter because they are not going to be bent over. Or you could bend them like the originals I suppose. For what it is worth I did not find a single missing nut because of the technique of bending the bolts. It did work. I used a combination of elevator bolts and self-drilling self-tapping screws for my installation. I did drill new holes mostly because I was working from above and it would be pretty hard to align with the old ones.

I hope this helps,

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 07:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I used 'painted' elevator bolts, 1/4" x 1 1/4". I used regular lock washers and nuts. I drilled new holes for the same reason Malcolm did.

The original bolts were non-galvanized, and mine had very slight surface rust. That may be because the trailer was never near the ocean.

If you can find stainless (I couldn't) that would be great. Galvanized would be good. If you can't get galvanized, you can paint them, like I did.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 07:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I have the same bolts as Don - have not installed them yet, but plan to use the old holes drilling up from the bottom, then have someone push them in while I put a lockwasher and nut on them - I will also use nylocks just to make sure, not planning to bend them. I plan to paint mine also.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Does anyone have an online source for the galvanized elevator bolts?
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I got mine at Barnhill Bolt - don't know if they have galvanized though
Rally
restoration rally
Old 06-09-2005, 02:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
The previous owner of my gem had installed a black water tank just over a year ago and the zinc coated bolts he used are ALREADY RUSTING! He didn't get the belly pan re-installed, but the trailer has lived in an area that gets less than 11.5 inches of rain a year!!

Zinc is, in my opinion, about the worst water resistant bolt coating that can be had. I’m going to use galvanized bolts, if I can find them.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:27 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
If you can find stainless (I couldn't) that would be great.
McMaster-Carr has them. Search for "stainless elevator bolt".

Bob
mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Will zink coated bolts rust faster than plain old steel bolts?

Ken J
Rally
restoration rally
Old 06-09-2005, 03:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Mcmaster, one of my favorite places.

Zinc coating will protect the steel, so they will not rust as fast.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy Gem
[color=black]The previous owner of my gem had installed a black water tank just over a year ago and the zinc coated bolts he used are ALREADY RUSTING!
Spiffy,

You have a pretty severe problem if the zinc coated bolts are already rusting. The zinc is a sacrificial metal, meant to protect the steel underneath. As long as there is some zinc left, it will 'suck up' stray electrons and protect the steel.

As soon as all the zinc is gone, the stray current will start to work on the steel, then you will have a major problem.

It's possible the previous owner used something in the attaching hardware, straps, or framing that is causing premature corrosion.

Get it looked at before you put the belly back on.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Does it help to paint the zinc coated bolts where they are exposed?

Ken J.
Rally
restoration rally
Old 06-09-2005, 04:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy Gem
Does anyone have an online source for the galvanized elevator bolts?
Off hand, although I wish you luck, I would be surprised if anyone offered galvanized bolts as their original design use did not include the way Airstreamers use them.

Although the best thing, obviously, would be to locate them, you may want to consider using the "commonly available" steel ones (usually black in color), and painting them with Rustoleum's cold galvanizing paint.

Unless, that is, your pockets are deep enough to buy the stainless steel offering. {Imagine a "I am not worthy" icon here. }

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
...and painting them with Rustoleum's cold galvanizing paint...
After installation

(editing clock got me )

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I think it should be mentioned that Airstream did not use elevator bolts origionally. They were round head carrage type bolts. I think the elevator bolts are much better though.......

Ken J.
Rally
restoration rally
Old 06-09-2005, 05:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I found SS online. However they did not have the little teeth and tended to turn when tightened.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 06:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
One-year-old rusty zinc covered bolts do indicate a problem, which is why I'm refinishing the frame (with sandblast, primer, and paint) and replacing the floor.

Ocean vessels use replaceable zinc plates in the cooling system to minimize the corrosion to the steel; the zinc attracts the ionization, caused by friction, salt water, and the transfer of heat.

So, I don't understand why anyone would want to make the bolts that hold the flooring, frame, and shell together the target of corrosion by using zinc coated bolts. . . I would rather use non-zinc covered bolts and add a replaceable zinc plate that would take the corrosion. Who wants to tear their Airstream apart more frequently than necessary?

Airstream may not have used galvanized bolts; and evidence indicates they didn't use zinc coated ones either!
Old 06-09-2005, 06:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Try Inventory Sales Company for any type fastener... screws, bolts, nuts, rivets, etc.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 06:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
I am told by the local Airstream repair shop not to use Stainless Steel. They say it seizes up at some point and won't let you tighten or loosen the bolt/nut.

They use a bolt pictured here (if I attached the picture correctly). They gave me their last one and told me where they purchased it. So, I made a visit to the company, who told me they had never seen such a bolt. The bolt looks to be coated with aluminum, and is of a steel core (magnets like it). Does anyone know where these can be had?

(See my profile pics to see the bolt.)

Calvin
Old 06-10-2005, 12:02 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Elevator Bolts

Hi Calvin, I used this type of elevator bolt assembly. It can be had at any decent hardware store. Mine are plated I think. If you have any questions by all means ask away.

Chris

Elevator Bolt assy
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote