Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
San Andreas , California
77 Argosy floor rot

I have a 77 Argosy 24'. I need to replace the plywood sub floor in the front. I only need to replace the first panel. I have read the forums but am unsure about some of the terms such as "banana skin". The edges of the sub floor on the piece in question seem to be ok at the side walls . the middle part does show some damage though.So my question is this, do I have to remove the bottom Skin of the trailer and also the interior walls in order to replace that one piece.
Thanks
kontiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:33 PM   #2
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Kontiki,

I'll be watching with interest your repairs because I have an Argosy 28 that needs the front floor section under the gaucho/fresh water tank replaced, too. This started from a crack in the fresh water fill. If you want to see a gory photo of the damage, look in my gallery toward the end of the pictures.

Hopefully somebody who has done this will chime in here, but I've read about it being done both from the top alone and with top and bottom access. Since I have a wide, curved section to replace, I'll be going in from both the top and bottom. This will require removing inside skin segments (which I've already done and which is NOT difficult) to access the C-channel that the floor is mounted in and bolted to.

I also have a bad spot right in front of the door where the door seal leaked. Since I need to have some welding down on the step, this will also be a job done from both sides, although it probably could be patched from just the top.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:32 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
San Andreas , California
Thanks, My problem is also caused by a leak from the water tank. Mine is about a 16inch section from the front under the tank. The front seems solid for about 2 inches from the wall and the sides are also solid for about 12 inches from the walls.I am considering some kind of a product to kill the rot and then perhaps some sealer or epoxy. Then perhaps a quarter inch piece of plywood to cover about 4 ft , which will be covered by the dinette. I am probably not doing a very good job describing the situation, but the idea is to cover a 16 by 48 inch weak section of flooring without having to remove the walls and bottom skin.Any advice will be greatly accepted.
Thanks
Jim
Old 10-12-2006, 09:31 PM   #4
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Jim; Ild like to stop by when I get back from the Nor Cal Rally. I'm only 30 minutes from you via 88-49, I've been in the boat and aircraft business, lots of stuff crosses over. Let me know if you need another pair of eyes! Tim

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 06:09 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
San Andreas , California
I have removed the front section of the sub-floor. I am replacing it with 5/8 inch plywood. The frame is solid and painted with loc-tite rust preventer. The old floor had a thin piece of insulation under it held in place with a thin sheet of aluminum. I am going to treat the new piece with an oil based sealer.Does anyone have any thoughts on leaving the insulation and aluminum off? Thanks-Jim