Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2017, 01:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Point pleasant , Nj
Help buying out of state and shipping

Newbie here, looking at buying a 25' in TX. We are in NJ and have been looking at Airstreams for awhile, this is our first time buying. How best to handle the money transaction/title transfer/Bill of Sale when purchasing from out of state and having a shipping company pick up and deliver the Airstream? (it is actually cheaper to have it shipped than to take off work and drive down and pick it up, and grandma won't have to watch the kids and dogs). We have already had the trailer inspected by a certified inspector and it is in good condition just not sure how to handle the logistics/money when it is a remote sale. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Value your expertise here.
Jprinston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Zionsville , Indiana
Did this back in July, 30' Classic. But, me picking it up IN to TX was less expensive than shipping. As far as money, you have tons of options. Just write and mail a check. Of course, they won't release the title until the check clears, but I suspect you are not in a rush. I had my bank just do a funds transfer for ours. Then we drove down, picked it (and a new Blue Ox hitch) up and road tripped home, sort of a shake-down.

Had we shipped, the RV dealer/seller would have signed and shipped documents and we would have signed/shipped back (stuff that needed to go back). It is a pretty simple process, especially if you are working with a dealer vs. private party.

You note you had the trailer inspected, one key item is the tires. Assuming it still has 15" trailer tires, keep in mind, these go bad with time quicker than they do with miles. Whether it's shipped or you go get it, make certain the tires are good to go.

Finally, make sure the shipper or RV dealer/seller readies the trailer for travel. For instance, if there is a table that comes down for travel, make sure it is down; shower doors are latched, pocket doors are secured, etc... Damage can occur on the road if stuff is not secure.
rpenczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:15 PM   #3
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Your bank can wire the $$ directly to their account so everyone knows the cash has been exchanged just like when buying with cash from a dealer leaving a paper trail that is good for everyone. You can have fax of titles sent to you for VIN and insurance but you will have to wait to have the original title before you go to the DMV but the original should be overnighted to you. At least that is how it works in GA. Not hard. But I sure would want to see it first. IMO.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:19 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Point pleasant , Nj
Thanks so very much for the quick reply and tips! It does have newer tires on it, I believe 1-1/2 years old. I hadn't thought about it being prepared for shipping so I will talk to the seller and also the shipping company about that. Now that I think about it will have to see if it is winterized as well. We are actually purchasing from a private seller which was why we weren't sure about how to handle the transaction. We are mailing the deposit tomorrow and hoping to have the trailer picked up in the next week or so, really depends on the shipping co. Weren't sure how best to handle the big transaction of the balance of funds, especially when we aren't there picking it up in person. How do both parties protect themselves?
Old 02-05-2017, 01:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jprinston View Post
. . .
How do both parties protect themselves?
Welcome to the forum!

A full answer will require more due diligence than has been done here so far IMO. Trailer condition for transport incl. winterization and tires are important of course. Did the inspector pull a wheel and check the bearings and brakes? When were they last inspected/packed? What year is the AS?

Is there a local dealer or repair shop which has worked on the trailer? Do you have copies of the repair/maintenance work done in the last few years?

Did you have cordial negotiations with the seller? What level of trust do you have about him/her? Does this transaction "smell right" and are you sure you are not being taken advantage of?

Sorry to rain on the parade, but IMO you should have a local agent/attorney/bank/dealer handle all the money and DMV title issues if you cannot go down in person. Call me conservative, but the admonition comes to mind:

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

Good luck!

Peter

PS A couple of years ago I was interested in a used trailer out west. Negotiations were cordial etc. etc., but when I asked the seller to take the title to their attorney, so that my attorney at home could discuss the sale with the seller's attorney, the seller refused, and I backed out fast!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:15 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Zionsville , Indiana
As I think about my comments and ORTA15's, I must agree with ORTA15. Given you are purchasing from a private party, a local attorney might be well worth the cost.

Perhaps you could get the seller to drop the unit and close the deal at a local RV (
or trailer shop), close the deal there and then have the shop make sure the unit is ready for transport (you would send the funds to your attorney who would in-turn pay the seller at closing). Note, you don't need an RV deaershipl to do bearing/tire/brake work, any trailer (think landscape utility trailer) shop can/will do this work, and they are much easier to get in (not so booked up) and generally less expensive.

Good luck with the purchase.
rpenczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:32 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Point pleasant , Nj
Thank you both! These are all extremely helpful suggestions and exactly what I was looking for!
Old 02-05-2017, 03:20 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Point pleasant , Nj
In answer to some of your questions, it is a 2006, meticulously cared for, newer tires (1-1/2 years) lived in by one person while a house was being built and pulled three times during his ownership within the state of TX. Besides the new tires no other maintenance or repairs were performed on it during this owner's ownership. The bearings were checked by the inspector and were fine. The breaks were not checked. All systems and electrical were also checked out. It had been winterized, however leak test was performed by inspector so will need to be re-winterized before shipment. Negotiations have been cordial thus far, but as you mentioned, sometimes things can go south as what happened when you asked they speak to your attorney. I normally have a good instinct about these things but this is my first rv purchase (and first rv) so there are some unknowns that i am trying to work out. As you've suggested, I've located rv dealers nearby and will see if the trailer can be dropped there and readied for shipment. I will also talk to my attorney in the morning. Thanks again!
Old 02-05-2017, 03:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the details. Seems as if you have this process well in hand. Good luck!

Please let us know when you have the trailer home, and start camping!

Peter

PS did the inspector hitch up and check the brakes while towing? You might consider paying the shop to do this in addition to winterizing. Measure twice cut once?
Old 02-05-2017, 04:00 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Point pleasant , Nj
Thanks Peter, he didn't hook up and check the breaks. Wish he had but will ask the dealer to do so. I'm a little nervous about it all because it is my fist rv and first rv purchase, but I have been reading the forums for awhile now and hope I am doing it right! I will post pics once we have it home!
Old 02-05-2017, 05:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Being nervous is understandable, but you appear to be taking things in a good order, and will feel more secure once you have another round of feedback from the shop. Meeting with your attorney is also a good feedback loop, so in a day or two you should be feeling more comfortable with the purchase. If you did not feel nervous, that might be of concern!

Old 02-08-2017, 05:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Hope your purchase is still on track!

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jprinston View Post
Thanks Peter, he didn't hook up and check the breaks. Wish he had but will ask the dealer to do so. I'm a little nervous about it all because it is my fist rv and first rv purchase, but I have been reading the forums for awhile now and hope I am doing it right! I will post pics once we have it home!
Old 02-08-2017, 06:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
I've used "uship.com" 3 times now, happy every time . . . good luck

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:17 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
Dripping Springs , Texas
I shipped an Airstream from TX to CA last week @ $1 mile. Used 'Bear Transport' James Arends 505-313-1864. Very reliable, honest, and safe. He uses a 3/4 ton diesel truck and has shipped many Airstreams. I'm sure his rating is on Uship. Would recommend.
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote