Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2021, 07:04 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ontario
Crisis Of Faith

Our current list of trailers under consideration are; Flying Cloud 25RBT, Globetrotter 23FBT, Globetrotter 25FBT (all January 2020 or newer so they have the composite subfloor), Lance 2075, Bigfoot 25R25RT, Escape 23.

However, I must be having a bad day because I spent most of the day yesterday researching smaller, lighter weight trailer, even some with slideouts!

Current trailer: 2016 Shasta Airflyte 16'
TV: 2012 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD
No kids
No pets
Turning 50 within a year
Expect to retire within 10 years

Needs: dry bath, larger tanks, dedicated bed, attached awning, larger fridge, durable exterior, solar capable

Wants: walkaround bed, inverter, solar ready or installed, avoid slideouts, few power options (awning, stabilizer & tongue jacks)

We love that our current trailer is short and light and can easily fit in the last available serviced campsite when we end up having to book last minute.
We think its cool and unique.
We love that we can tow it with our Tacoma because its my daily driver and is still easy enough to get around town and park in the parkade at work.
We like the trailer for up to 4 night trips.
It gets a little cramped when either it rains too much or we spend more than 4 nights in it.
We prefer to purchase for the long term but aren't against buying an interim trailer now and upgrading once again when we retire. Honestly, a Globetrotter 25RBT would be an ideal retirement trailer for us if they ever made one.

I guess I'm just wondering if there is something suitable out there for our current needs and at least some wants, that is smaller, lighter, has a more durable exterior and better ground clearance than some of the trailers on our shopping list?

Thanks!
Mattedfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 07:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattedfred View Post
Our current list of trailers under consideration are; Flying Cloud 25RBT, Globetrotter 23FBT, Globetrotter 25FBT (all January 2020 or newer so they have to composite subfloor), Lance 2075, Bigfoot 25R25RT, Escape 23.

However, I must be having a bad day because I spent most of the day yesterday researching smaller, lighter weight trailer, even some with slideouts!

No kids
No pets
Turning 50 within a year
Expect to retire within 10 years
Needs: dry bath, larger tanks, dedicated bed, attached awning, larger fridge, durable exterior, solar capable
Wants: walkaround bed, inverter, solar ready or installed, avoid slideouts, few power options (awning, stabilizer & tongue jacks)

We love that our current trailer is short and light and can easily fit in the last available serviced campsite when we end up having to book last minute.
We love that we think its cool and unique.
We love that we can tow it with our Tacoma because its my daily driver and is still easy enough to get around town and park in the parkade at work.
It gets a little cramped when either the weather sucks or we spend more than 4 nights.
We prefer to purchase for the long term but aren't against buying an interim trailer now and upgrading once again when we retire.

I guess I'm just wondering if there is something suitable out there that is smaller, lighter, has a more durable exterior and better ground clearance than some of the trailers on our shopping list?

Thanks!
Have you looked at Oliver trailers? If I were in the market for a new (modern) trailer, I’d think long and hard about them. Very high quality.

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 07:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
I'm not sure I understand the question. You've made some statements but haven't identified what you're looking for. Do your homework and buy what you like best. Airstream isn't the only quality trailer on the market - I see many others that I would probably be just as happy in. Airstream suits my camping style, easily fits into my 11 foot tall garage door and holds it's value better than just about any other trailer you can buy. That's my logic for owning an Airstream - yours may be quite different.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:36 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ontario
Bare with my folks. Was still editing the original post because this damn website keeps logging me off. Now it won't let me edit it again! Here is a better version. Sorry!

Our current list of trailers under consideration are; Flying Cloud 25RBT, Globetrotter 23FBT, Globetrotter 25FBT (all January 2020 or newer so they have the composite subfloor), Lance 2075, Bigfoot 25R25RT, Escape 23.

Personal: Southwestern Ontario Canada. No kids. No pets. Turning 50 within a year. Expect to retire within 10 years.
Current Usage: April to November. Ontario and Quebec. All different campgrounds. Mostly Provincial or Conservation Areas. Almost always electrical service. Sometimes 2 services. Rarely 3 services. Average stay is 3 consecutive nights. 1 annual 2-3 week road trip of up to 4000 kms. Multiple multi day summer music festivals.
Retirement usage: Month or months long road trips throughout North America.

It gets a little cramped when either it rains too much or we spend more than 4 nights in it.
We prefer to purchase for the long term but aren't against buying an interim trailer now and upgrading once again when we retire. Honestly, a Globetrotter 25RBT would be an ideal retirement trailer for us if they ever made one.

I guess I'm just wondering if there is something suitable out there for our current needs and at least some wants, that is smaller, lighter, has a more durable exterior and better ground clearance than some of the trailers on our shopping list?

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2021, 07:40 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ontario
Ian,

I thought the Oliver only came with a wet bath?
Old 11-25-2021, 07:41 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrowne View Post
I'm not sure I understand the question. You've made some statements but haven't identified what you're looking for. Do your homework and buy what you like best. Airstream isn't the only quality trailer on the market - I see many others that I would probably be just as happy in. Airstream suits my camping style, easily fits into my 11 foot tall garage door and holds it's value better than just about any other trailer you can buy. That's my logic for owning an Airstream - yours may be quite different.
I listed our needs and wants and posed a question at the end.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:45 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Hillsdale , New York
I don't think you are gonna be able to tow a 25' Airstream with a Tacoma.

Also, I'm quite sure a Globetrotter comes standard with power awning, tongue jack, and stabilizers.

SPP
SlowPokePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:34 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ontario
Having A Crisis Of Faith

The current list of trailers we are considering to replace our current trailer are; Flying Cloud 25RBT, Globetrotter 23FBT, Globetrotter 25FBT (all January 2020 or newer so they have the composite subfloor), Lance 2075, Bigfoot 25R25RT, Escape 23.

However, I must be having a bad day because I spent most of the day yesterday researching smaller, lighter weight trailers, even some with slideouts!

Current TV: 2012 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD. We are willing to replace the TV as necessary.
Personal: Located in Southwestern Ontario Canada. No kids. No pets. Turning 50 within a year. Expect to retire within 10 years.
Current Usage: April to November. Ontario and Quebec. All different campgrounds. Mostly Provincial or Conservation Areas. Almost always electrical service. Sometimes 2 services. Rarely 3 services. Average stay is 3 consecutive nights. 1 annual 2-3 week road trip of up to 4000 kms. Multiple multi day summer music festivals.
Retirement usage: Month or months long road trips throughout North America.

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2021, 08:36 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ontario
Started a whole new thread since they won't let me edit my original post anymore. Can this one be deleted?
Old 11-25-2021, 08:38 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ontario
Sorry for starting this thread again but I've been having computer issues, kept getting logged out of this website and am no longer able to edit my original post on the other thread for further clarity.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Welcome,
I don't see a crisis and nothing about faith. :-)

You are in a very similar dilemma as many others have been on this forum. A little more time reading and you'll see some of the other threads and what they eventually decided.

Come to a rally or go to as many dealerships as you can and sit and wonder what would work for your situation.

If you are firm on your tow vehicle than I think that drives the decision more than some of the other points.

Looking forward to seeing you on the road.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:44 AM   #12
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Other than your tow vehicle capability, my 2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 26U meets all of your criteria. They do not make them any longer, but getting a used one with all the kinks worked out would be a plus.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:47 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
Other than your tow vehicle capability, my 2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 26U meets all of your criteria. They do not make them any longer, but getting a used one with all the kinks worked out would be a plus.
Thanks for the quick reply! Since keeping the trailer small is something we prefer, anything longer than 25' has been difficult for us to justify. 24' is usually the dividing line between search criteria with some campgrounds here in Ontario.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:54 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ontario
So very sorry folks but I moved this discussion to a new thread.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f35...th-229763.html
Old 11-25-2021, 09:03 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
We were in the same boat and were very happy with our previous setup which was a Camplite 13QB which is actually bigger then the Bambi 16. All aluminum trailer and very light so we pulled it with our TDI New Beetle (Another story).

We just found that when the weather was bad, there wasn’t enough room to relax in the Camplite which started us looking for something a bit bigger and found the Bambi 22FB which has a sitting area that works better. For us, I do think that this is a stepping stone to a 25 footer but for now, it is a big improvement.

For the price point, I am sure that there are some good trailers that will fit your needs. A larger trailer will probably need a bigger tow vehicle so that should be factored into the equation as well. You are fortunate to be near several trailer manufacturers in Quebec that have some new designs with light weight design in mind. Not sure of their offerings compared to a 25 foot Airstream. You are near Can-Am as well so stopping by and seeing Andy and what he has to actually sit in would be a good start if you haven’t been already.

Many forum users will say that it is best to find the trailer that you want and like and then get a tow vehicle to pull it. With our Bambi, we had our tow vehicle already and found a trailer to fit the truck which sort of forced us to settle for something strongly based on weights.

Most Airstreams do sit low and many owners have lifted their trailers. Dexter makes a lift kit that can be installed by the dealer to give you 3 additional inches of ground clearance.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:16 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Airstream measures a trailer from hitch ball to the back of the bumper. Many other outfits do it from the front wall to the back wall. If you are comparing between brands, a 25' this maybe the same as a 28' that.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:21 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Airstream measures a trailer from hitch ball to the back of the bumper. Many other outfits do it from the front wall to the back wall. If you are comparing between brands, a 25' this maybe the same as a 28' that.

Bob
Thanks, as always, Bob! I have learned to be careful and look up the exact specs. If I recall, Lance usually posts the floor length and you have to look for the trailer length.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:23 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ontario
To reply to some of the comments on my first attempt at starting this thread, we are willing to replace our current TV as necessary. The Oliver Legacy Elite II has a wet bath and what looks like the same size fridge we have now (4.3 cu ft). We want a dry bath and larger fridge. Keeping the trailer under 25' would help us stay within the initial search criteria when booking campsites online here in Ontario. This helps us when making last minute bookings.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:28 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2023 27' Flying Cloud
Hansville , WA
A few comments-We ordered a 2021 23' Flying Cloud FB. Retired, in our 70's and travel with 1 dog. First thing we did was change from queen to twins (Ultimate Airstream did the conversion). Gives much more room for changing and lounging etc plus the wife doesn't have to crawl over me during the night. Our TV was a 2012 Ford F250 (overkill) for the trailer. Traded for a 2021 Ram 1500 and added a Blue OX hitch. The 23' works perfect for us. Some of our trips are weekend only and some have been 8-10 days. Tows great and easier to find campgrounds. Prior units was an Arctic Fox camper with slideout (leaked) and an older 28' TT. Bottom line-the AS works perfect for us. Good luck in your hunt.
Big Red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:34 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red1 View Post
A few comments-We ordered a 2021 23' Flying Cloud FB. Retired, in our 70's and travel with 1 dog. First thing we did was change from queen to twins (Ultimate Airstream did the conversion). Gives much more room for changing and lounging etc plus the wife doesn't have to crawl over me during the night. Our TV was a 2012 Ford F250 (overkill) for the trailer. Traded for a 2021 Ram 1500 and added a Blue OX hitch. The 23' works perfect for us. Some of our trips are weekend only and some have been 8-10 days. Tows great and easier to find campgrounds. Prior units was an Arctic Fox camper with slideout (leaked) and an older 28' TT. Bottom line-the AS works perfect for us. Good luck in your hunt.
Thanks very much Big Red!

Fortunately we learned of the advantages of the twin bed floor plans early on in our search thanks to the advice of our local AS dealer. I just wish AS made a FC 23RBT. To stick to an RBT we have to go FC 25' or to stick with a 23' with twins we have to go GT 23FBT.

I really like getting 3 exterior storage compartments when you go twin beds but I do prefer the RBT model because that large exterior storage compartment is at the back instead of the front behind the propane tanks and is therefore more useable.

If only they made a GB 23RBT with manual stabilizers and tongue jack. I think I might learn to appreciate the power awning.