Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2016, 10:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
USAA/Progressive

Contacted USAA about insuring the Airstream. They referred me to Progressive. Went on the website and when all was done they wouldn't give me a quote until I lifted credit freeze on all three of the credit reporting companies.
My question is: Is it worth the $30 bucks it will cost me AND the hassle of lifting the credit freezes? I just wanted to see if they were competative with my current insurer.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Can you get service by using the phone? Hopefully there is an agent out there somewhere that wants to give some old fashioned customer service. Sounds very annoying and fishy for any outfit to want to look at your credit before giving a price for insurance.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
As I understand it, almost all insurers use your credit score, among other factors, to decide how much to charge you.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:05 AM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegmann View Post
As I understand it, almost all insurers use your credit score, among other factors, to decide how much to charge you.
That is pretty much how I have understood it based on the privacy notice my company sends out and the things they say they share, which include credit rating.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:35 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosch View Post
My question is: Is it worth the $30 bucks it will cost me AND the hassle of lifting the credit freezes?
You could always visit a local Progressive agent and get a quote face-to-face.

That would allow you to get your own credit score— which you should be able to do even with a credit freeze— and print out the report to take with you to the agent's office.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:41 AM   #6
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
I had Progressive for USAA members insurance until I discovered that Allied from FCIS was half the cost.

FCIS Insurance - Iowa Life, Auto, RV and Pet Insurance Company

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:48 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
I had Progressive for USAA members insurance until I discovered that Allied from FCIS was half the cost.
Insurance is regulated by the individual states. For the nationwide companies, a company that has lower prices than the competition in one state may not have lower prices in another state. There is no substitute for shopping around among the companies that insure in your own domicile state.

And a reminder, when you're shopping for insurance, don't forget to ask about discounts; those vary from company to company in the same state and from state to state in the same company as well.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:36 PM   #8
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
John & Lisa I've got all of mine locked and haven't ever had a problem getting insurance quotes. I was with BlueSky for awhile and then got quotes from the Chuck, the insurance part of Americas Mailbox Americas-Mailbox Home - mail forwarding - Americas-Mailbox. 5 quotes from different companies in about a day and ended up with Triumphe Insurance, just about the best rates and coverages.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:59 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
In most cases you should be able to price shop without the insurance score (credit report) being run. However, rate is subject to change depending on insurance score if you decide to move the business to that particular company. It's also not as easy as just printing out a credit report and bringing it to your agent. Each company uses a different formula based off of a combination of factors with the credit variable as one. Kind of a catch 22. Each State varies on coverage and rates as well so listening to one on the forum say cheap/good coverage in X State does not mean same for Y State. It's always best to shop several companies and ask not only about discounts as previously mentioned, but what the exact coverage is and how a loss will be settled. Most think it's all the same and it's far from it. Ask about stated or agreed amount and again, the settlement process.

Chuck
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote