Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2018, 07:12 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
TV Insurance Covers AS Tow!

I was preparing for a long trip out west this summer and was about to pull the trigger on some roadside insurance, probably AAA. But, I just found out that my TV insurance also includes the tow of the attached trailer. They will cover the tow (TV & TT) to the closest qualified repair facility. I had to ask several times to clarify and now have a copy of this in hand.
Two questions:

1) Has anybody ever used or had an issue with this?

2) Why would I need AAA or Good Sam if this is a covered tow under my TV insurance?

Input appreciated
malinois38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I do not know if you "need" the Good Sam or AAA. We carry the AAA Premier RV package. It includes more than just towing. The one time we have used for the camper it was for a lockout situation on the highway and they came to a rest area and got us back into the trailer. Probably would have been cheaper not to have the insurance and just pay for it. But having it made it easy to find someone with just one phone call. We are pretty old and I carry it for what little peace of mind it gives me that we can maybe get help if we need it. Of course the one time I have had a flat tire traveling it was on the truck and was easier to change than to call someone.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:58 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Here's why...I had that coverage with my T@B teardrop BUT...the TV coverage ONLY covered the teardrop when it was actually attached to the TV. Not a big deal with a fairly inexpensive trailer but with an Airstream I went with a full replacement plan that covers the Airstream on or off the TV.
AlanMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:45 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanMcD View Post
Here's why...I had that coverage with my T@B teardrop BUT...the TV coverage ONLY covered the teardrop when it was actually attached to the TV. Not a big deal with a fairly inexpensive trailer but with an Airstream I went with a full replacement plan that covers the Airstream on or off the TV.
Let me clarify my initial post. I have a separate policy on the AS. What I was shopping for was better roadside assistance type of insurance. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that my TV insurance (Erie) provides better coverage for the attached TT (Airstream) than the primary insurance policy(Progressive) on the AS. Progressive only covers 25 mile tow. The TV insurance covers to the nearest qualified repair facility.
malinois38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:04 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Hertford , NC
I can't say enough good about Good Sam's Roadside Assistance, fuel pump went out after crossing into Alabama from Mississippi. They sent two trucks, one carried TV to repair shop, the other carried the Airstream to a local KOA back in Mississippi. On this trip, while not towing, but site seeing at the end of the Hoover Damn parking overlook, the serpentine belt snapped. Good Sam sent roll back, and carried us for 42 miles, no charge to us on either event.
rdb504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by malinois38 View Post
I was preparing for a long trip out west this summer and was about to pull the trigger on some roadside insurance, probably AAA. But, I just found out that my TV insurance also includes the tow of the attached trailer. They will cover the tow (TV & TT) to the closest qualified repair facility. I had to ask several times to clarify and now have a copy of this in hand.
Two questions:

1) Has anybody ever used or had an issue with this?

2) Why would I need AAA or Good Sam if this is a covered tow under my TV insurance?

Input appreciated
You don’t need it...you are already covered.....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:20 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Cary , NC
Why RS insurance?

My RV Progressive Insurance covers and provides Road Side assistance. I don’t know why anyone to but a separate policy for something already included in insurance.

Progressive also offer value guarantee, provide bill of sale and you are guaranteed the full value of you RV if totaled.

I don’t care for Progressive customer service, but they have best rates.
alreardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Here's my experience with AAA insurance on both TV and Airstream, in addition to our top-of-the-line "RV Premier" membership.

Fuel pump died somewhere in Tennessee. Called AAA to get TV to mechanic, and Airstream to campground (we were on side of highway).

AAA proceeds to tell me no problem towing the truck, but the trailer tow isn't covered because there isn't a problem with the trailer. I kid you not.
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote