Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2016, 11:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
NEW HARTFORD , Connecticut
Roof pipe vent covers and fan vent covers

I read on VTS that the replacement pipe covers should be installed with rivers, mine are screwed ( two screws are frozen )

When I re-install them should I screw them or rivet.?
Also fan covers, seem to be functioning (winding up and down) but not looking so hot- does it make sense to replace? I will def be replacing fans.

Also, it's there an easier way to strip the caulk from them? I was using citrus strip but it was slow working..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	441.0 KB
ID:	274103  
stormbornSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:06 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormbornSG View Post
I read on VTS that the replacement pipe covers should be installed with rivers, mine are screwed ( two screws are frozen )

When I re-install them should I screw them or rivet.?
Also fan covers, seem to be functioning (winding up and down) but not looking so hot- does it make sense to replace? I will def be replacing fans.

Also, it's there an easier way to strip the caulk from them? I was using citrus strip but it was slow working..
Sorry that pic was another question: it's on the front on the top of the curb any idea what it is?
Trying to post other pics now
Old 10-24-2016, 12:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
For what it’s worth my ‘67 had plastic vent stack covers secured with rivets. The plastic had cracked around the mounting holes.
The ’72 has cast metal vent pipe covers screwed in place. Stove vent is stamped aluminum with rivets.
I’ve replaced/repaired the plumbing vent stacks and used stainless steel screws and Tempro sealer with good results.
As far as I know if you’re replacing roof vents with the ubiquitous Fantastic Fans they come as an assembly. I saw one installation where they were riveted in place.
There are any number of sealers that have been smeared around vents. I’ve used Citri-Strip, mineral spirits, xylene, brake cleaner and a commercial silicone remover. Different sealers produce different results.
Can't help with the cover. Is it rusted? Probably not stock. Maybe home made stack cover?

Good Luck,
Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:27 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nugler View Post
For what it’s worth my ‘67 had plastic vent stack covers secured with rivets. The plastic had cracked around the mounting holes.
The ’72 has cast metal vent pipe covers screwed in place. Stove vent is stamped aluminum with rivets.
I’ve replaced/repaired the plumbing vent stacks and used stainless steel screws and Tempro sealer with good results.
As far as I know if you’re replacing roof vents with the ubiquitous Fantastic Fans they come as an assembly. I saw one installation where they were riveted in place.
There are any number of sealers that have been smeared around vents. I’ve used Citri-Strip, mineral spirits, xylene, brake cleaner and a commercial silicone remover. Different sealers produce different results.
Can't help with the cover. Is it rusted? Probably not stock. Maybe home made stack cover?

Good Luck,
Tom.

Not sure where my "thanks" comment went. Upon further demo, I've found all the vents full of bee and wasp nests. Also the cranks don't work or dont work well. IF fantastic fans are complete assembly, I'll just do that. I guess I'll have to do with while the interior skins are stripped?

Did you relocate the vent stacks at all?