Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Burlington Flats , New York
Is this a good deal? '78 Argosy Minuet 6.7

I'm looking at an ad in the classifieds for a 78 Argosy Minuet 6.7 . I've been looking for over a year to find an AS. We want one that is ready to use and won't require major improvements. We've decided panoramic windows are a must, and the newer AS that have them are out of our price range. So, I was thrilled when I saw the Argosy. Anyway, having nothing to go by, I'd appreciate it if someone could give me some feedback on the one listed for $5700, in Portage, Wisconsin. Thank you.
angellhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Looks like now it's $4,500
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
When i did my research I found out the Argosy was a very exceptional design. 1. they are the lowest weight of all AS 2. they dont have all the wood and crappy stuff that will need replacing. 3. they can be painted and look and ride the same. 4. I personally feel the Argosy has more upgradablity than a standard AS
shermantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

I see the same listing as $5700. Maybe you're looking at another?
Old 05-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings angellhill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angellhill View Post
I'm looking at an ad in the classifieds for a 78 Argosy Minuet 6.7 . I've been looking for over a year to find an AS. We want one that is ready to use and won't require major improvements. We've decided panoramic windows are a must, and the newer AS that have them are out of our price range. So, I was thrilled when I saw the Argosy. Anyway, having nothing to go by, I'd appreciate it if someone could give me some feedback on the one listed for $5700, in Portage, Wisconsin. Thank you.
I am guessing that you are looking at the ad referenced in this link. The coach appears to be in quite nice condition, but there are several questions that you might want to ask as well as some points to consider:
  • The axle is seven years old, but has only traveled 2,000 miles. Lack of exercise can be detrimental to the Dura-Torque axle and whether this would constitute lack of use, I am not certain. It would probably be wise to raise the coach as if to change a tire to see if the wheel drops down indicating that the axle is still working or if the wheel remains frozen in place indicating an axle problem.
  • The Minuet 6.7 Metre coach was one that might have a composite aluminum floor, but then again, it might have plywood. There are fewer 6.7 Minuets with the composite aluminum floor than there are 6.0 Metres. If the composite is aluminum floor is important to you this is a question that bears asking.
  • Nothing is said about the age of the furnace. Furnaces of this era were noted for comparatively short heat exchanger life so if it is the original, you may be looking at a short time before it will need to be replaced. My '78 Minuet has its original furnace, but I have probably spent enough on having it inspected annually over the past six years to buy a new furnace and limit the worry.
  • The water heater door appears to be newer than the coach, and that is good news as the original water heater was the first appliance to fail after I purchased my Minuet six years ago.
  • The refrigerator appears to be original, and is probably beyond its expected service life. That doesn't mean that failure is imminent, but it is something for which one should be prepared. My Minuet still has its original refrigerator, but I knew when I purchased it that every year of service that I received from it, based upon its age, would be a bonus . . . and I am enjoying the bonus years of service even though I would much prefer a new refrigerator with 3-way power selection.
  • The toilet appears to be the original. That isn't a particular problem, but it is wise to be aware that replacement parts for that model are quite difficult to locate and some are nearly impossible to locate. One of those impossible to locate parts failed on my coach's original toilet, and I had quite a time locating a new toilet that would fit properly in the space vacated by the original.
  • The awning is a huge plus (IMHO), and according to my notes, Carefree supports all parts for their awnings as installed on Airstream and Argosy coaches with the exception of the main awning arms . . . so you should be able to get any replacement parts that you may need from the manufacturer.
  • The new upholstery and drapes are also huge pluses if they are to your tastes. Professional replacement of upholstery and drapes can quickly become quite expensive.
  • The one minus, for me, would be the lack of an air conditioner. It isn't difficult to add an air conditioner if the coach is equipped with the optional factory preparation package for an air conditioner install. The presence of this package can be identified by the presence of an outlet box in the ceiling in the vicinity of the kitchen sink. I haven't seen a Minuet that wasn't equipped with this option, but it was listed as an option in the 1978 Minuet materials that I have.
  • The LP tanks appear to be the original aluminum tanks, but looks can be deceiving. If they are the original aluminum tanks, they are well worth the cost to upgrade to OPD valves if such hasn't already been done.
  • Something to be aware of with the Minuets is that the graywater tank was usually mounted above the floor so the shower water is not collected which requires carrying a blue tote for the shower's waste water. This may be a difference between the 6.0 Metre and the 6.7 Metre, but I don't have anything in my note that would idicate this as being a documented difference.
  • It is stated that the tires are the same age as the axle (7 years), and I wouldn't want to tow the coach further than the nearest tire dealer for new tires . . . ST tires are not known for a life expectancy of more than four or five years regardless of mileage. Since the coach hasn't been towed in 5 years, I would also insist upon servicing the wheel bearings and inspecting the brakes.
  • Something to be aware of is that the side windows (if original) are acrylic. They should be examined for evidence of clouding, crazing, and abrasions. The windows can be polished and will look like new if there isn't excessive weather or road damage to the acrylic material. The front panoramic windows and the rear window in the bathroom are the typical glass utilized in othe Argosy coaches of similar vintage.
When all is said and done, and if all checks out to be as described and as appears in the photos; I don't believe that the price is too very far off base for a Minuet. It is amazing how open and airy the 6.0 and 6.7 Minuets are with all of their windows in the front living area.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I just looked on CL at Madison WI
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Got to say, I think that's a very good deal.

But then again, I'm rather biased, given that I'm considering selling my camp-ready 77 6.0 Metre (with substantial renovations/upgrades and a $1000 factory front wrap window guard that the trailer in the ad lacks) in a few weeks - and plan to ask a few thousand more than that...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Kevin, Thanks so much for your very detailed information. I will take it all into consideration as we try to make a decision.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Tom, thanks for your input. I'd like to see the specs on your Minuet since it sounds like there might be less to worry about replacing, AND you're a lot closer in CT. Thanks.
Debbie
Old 05-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

New Argosy Owner

Well, the same 78 Minuet 6.7 came up on ebay and I bid on it, all the while wondering if I was doing the right thing. Today I won the auction and got it for $1200 less than the classified ad. Yikes! My husband is looking at driving out to pick it up.
I can't believe I finally got one after a year of looking!
Thanks again for everyone's help and information.
Debbie
Old 05-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
WOW. Congrats on your Argosy. Welcome, keep us posted and lots of pics.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Debbie!

Quote:
Well, the same 78 Minuet 6.7 came up on ebay and I bid on it, all the while wondering if I was doing the right thing. Today I won the auction and got it for $1200 less than the classified ad. Yikes! My husband is looking at driving out to pick it up.
Debbie
Contratulations on your new acquisition! I am sure that you will enjoy your Minuet 6.7! My impression is that you are getting a good deal at that price, and it appears that little more than new tires and bearing service/brake inspection will be required to have the coach ready to go. Even if you do find a few problems with appliances or systems, your pruchase price should allow for some necessary repairs.

It sounds like you and your husband are in for some new experiences with your Minuet. If neither of you have had significant experience with RVs, and particularly experience retrieving a travel trailer that has been sitting unused for a significant period of time. You might find the article, Preparing for the First Tow Home, the article contains hints and tips that I gathered from my own experiences retrieving my own Airstreams as well as those that I have learned from fellow Airstreamers and RVers.

While I know that it is mentioned in the article, I will repeat it here . . . I would strongly suggest taking an extra trailer end that matches the receptacle on your tow vehicle (an insurance policy that you won't appreciate until the old trailer end decides to start falling apart after 5 PM on a Sunday afternoon). This extra cable end also may come in nicely if the umbilical cord pin-out sequence isn't correct for your tow vehicle. The industry hadn't come to terms with a standard for wiring the trailer connector when our Minuets were made so they have a unique plan that was developed by Airstream does not match the current industry standard.

Good luck with your retrieval trip . . . I am sure that it will be exciting!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:14 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Thank you, Kevin. Where would we be without such helpful Forum members! Your info is appreciated and I'll keep you posted.
Debbie
Old 05-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #14
Cecelia

1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
Quote:
Debbie
Oh, well done! Congratulations on your new Argosy! I can only imagine how excited you are.
ccbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:43 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Marquette , Michigan
Hi Debbie. I was reading the old posts from when you first got your Minuet. Judging from your info it appears you still have it. I’m looking at one that’s for sale now and wanted to touch base in case I have questions. Would it be OK to contact you?
detorres53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:44 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Sure. And yes, we still have it!