Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2014, 07:59 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wethersfield , Connecticut
So I think the consensus is that I need to get it to Austin and soon. I listed it on Austin Craigslist last night and had someone who wants to see it this weekend. So I need to get it down here somehow and quickly.
Any suggestions on transport services that are reasonable? Or perhaps other options? Not sure if there are any
Without getting into the details we sold the tow vehicle and had other plans for our Airstream that just didn't pan out. So I don't have a way to even have someone drive it down to Austin at this moment. Unless maybe I rent a truck and drive it myself or see if someone else can. That truck rental sounds pricey though just thinking about it!

From what we owe on it I think I could be close to simply breaking even, give or take a bit. Looking into everyone's consignments suggestions as well.

We hadn't planned on selling it ever but things happen in life and have to make tricky decisions sometimes. Else I would have it in Texas with us and camp all the time.
Thomas_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:04 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
I was suggesting 25% off the PURCHASE PRICE of a new 2015 unit for his 2 year old unit (the half price off LIST PRICE quote reflects the discount off of list that anyone can get.) I think that a 25% discount for a two year old unit is quite fair. (Full disclosure, my math does not actually quite work out to half the LIST price, more like 60% of the LIST price, but my point is still valid.) I'm guessing that his original asking price of $60k was pretty close to what he had paid for it new two or three years earlier and probably close to 90% of the price of a new 2015 unit (of course, we don't know all of the options/upgrades on his particular unit.)

However, newer used Airstreams are pretty rare so if he can find a motivated buyer, he might do a bit better. All the more reason to see if he can work with an AS dealer to maximize the number of people who are exposed to his trailer.
All said and done after taxes and all that I think we paid 65,000ish. That is the thing I was thinking though that selling it personally the buyer gets more for their money since I am assuming that a dealer would have to charge sales tax and possibly other fees as well which may or may not deter the buyer and lower the price they might want to pay and then I have to pay dealer consignment fees as well. I feel that the buyer also gets a strong deal since the Airstream is still under warranty so their is peace of mind there as well. Just my thinking on this. And thank you for your insight.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:09 PM   #23
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
I was suggesting 25% off the PURCHASE PRICE of a new 2015 unit for his 2 year old unit (the half price off LIST PRICE quote reflects the discount off of list that anyone can get.) I think that a 25% discount for a two year old unit is quite fair.
A 2015 25' FC lists for around $78,000 with "standard options."

If you can purchase that for 15% off you are looking at $66,300. Another 25% would yield $49,725.

If you purchase it for 10% off you are looking at $70,200. Another 25% yields $52,650.

I think those aren't unreasonable numbers.
SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:54 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
So I am thinking that I am priced reasonably from all this feedback. I do think that I need to get it to Austin though soon for my best chance at selling it reasonably soon.
Thank you all so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-19-2014, 12:21 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I don't know about where you live, but in California DMV will charge a sales tax on a used vehicle. So either they pay a dealer sales tax or DMV sales tax. [no free lunch]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:57 AM   #26
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_G View Post
Any suggestions on transport services that are reasonable? Or perhaps other options? Not sure if there are any

Hi Thomas,
You can try listing it on Uship. I've had clients ship Airstreams that way.
There is also a shipping company in the NE that specializes in Airstream shipping. I can't recall the name of the company at the moment. I'll see if I can dig up the name and contact information.

I doubt you'll have a difficult time selling your trailer once you get it to Austin.

Good luck!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:47 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
A 2015 25' FC lists for around $78,000 with "standard options."

If you can purchase that for 15% off you are looking at $66,300. Another 25% would yield $49,725.

If you purchase it for 10% off you are looking at $70,200. Another 25% yields $52,650.

I think those aren't unreasonable numbers.
I think your achievable discounts off of list are a bit low (i.e., we got 20%,) but in general I agree, ScottinNJ, I think a price close to but on either side of $50k should be doable.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:59 AM   #28
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
in general I agree, ScottinNJ, I think a price close to but on either side of $50k should be doable.
In the spirit of full disclosure, I bought my 2014 25' FC used only a few weeks ago. So I have some very relevant experience in this area...
SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:59 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
There are lots o good suggestions here. Here are my thoughts:

Texas may be OK for Winter Season in terms of marketing in a warm climate, but you simply can't beat Florida. Many more snowbirds come here and while campgrounds are packed, lots of folks are out shopping for RV's. There is the AlumaFlamingo show (https://www.facebook.com/Alumaflamingo) which attracts many more and its a great place to put yours up for sale while camping, and there are some Dealers at the show that will assist you in listing it.

Then there is the RV Supershow in Tampa which is a good place to chat with dealers. There are also several dealers that I have spoken to at that show that do not carry AS trailers, but love to have used ones on their lots (some only carry Interstates, or none at all).

Lastly, some of the Airports have covered parking available on short and long term for storing RVs. If someone from out of state wants to see it, you can easily meet them there for a tour (offer to buy them a ticket if you think they are serious.). I have my RT van stored at a Wally Park @ JAX, but I used to store my AS there as well. Many snowbirds do this instead of driving all the way home and back.

That's my 2 cents worth.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
In the spirit of full disclosure, I bought my 2014 25' FC used only a few weeks ago. So I have some very relevant experience in this area...
So what did you pay?

Old 09-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Hi Thomas,
Your situation is... your Airstream is too new.

Many people would prefer to pay the extra money and get a new, unused trailer. Even if yours appears to be perfect, your price range makes it difficult to find a buyer of a late model.

I sold our 2006 23 foot Safari on Craigslist for about 75% of what we paid for it in 2006. You take the biggest "hit" towing the trailer off of the Dealer's Lot. The longer you own the trailer there is a sweet spot for "use" and for "price".

Most people will want you... to finance them. You will have to decide how big a hit you are willing to take on the sale and hold firm on that price. At least you can use it in the meanwhile, but I think FIVE years or more is the beginning of the sweet spot for price.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:17 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Is it possible to consider keeping it, enjoying some camping for a few years and then selling it? At least you'd get a few thousands of dollars worth of fun from it before getting hosed selling it (right now).

Good luck whatever you choose to do!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:14 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
The buyer will need to pay sales tax on the trailer to get the title and license plates in IL. Check the rates in TX. Perhaps one location is cheaper to sell in than another - IL counties often have different tax rates.

As far as a budget number for relocating the trailer goes, I had my trailer delivered for $1.00/mile.
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:35 AM   #34
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
For shipping you may want to try Black Mustang Transport (Black Mustang Transport Inc USDOT 2474782 - Auburndale,Massachusetts Trucking Company).

I have no connection with the company other than they bought my Argosy MH up to NE from Florida and did a good job when uShip and multiple listings on the centralized shipping distribution system failed.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:07 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Hi all. So I used uShip per the suggestions here and had a wonderful experience with the shipper HangerG. SUPER professional and delivered quickly and in perfect condition.

I have 4 people seriously interested in TX and one is asking for full spec sheet and VIN so he can get approved for financing. Does it seem reasonable to give the VIN out?

Many thanks!!!!!