Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2016, 11:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
La Center , Washington
Sell with dent, or repair?

I'm going to trade in / sell my 2007 19' Safari SE.
It has a rear curbside lower panel dent, that the "paintless" dent removal guy _almost_ got out (left some wrinkles), so it's visible damage, but not structural and the skin is intact.

The trailer is in otherwise very good to excellent condition (nonsmokers, adults only, stored indoors).

Should I replace the panel before I sell / trade in my trailer, or just sell it with its "personality" intact?

How much will it depreciate the value?
longdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:45 AM   #2
54 Flying Cloud

1967 20' Globetrotter
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Minnesota
have you figured out what replacing the panel would cost comparing to what the dealer said they would deduct from its value?
KrisE MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:48 AM   #3
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I would bet leaving the dent and selling the trailer yourself will put you ahead money wise compared to any other route.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Before analysis paralysis sets in, why not advertise it for sale and start showing it as-is? This will give you some real time feedback to get the sale in motion. Personally I would buy a trailer in your condition if the price was right, and probably never fix the damage, chalking it up to "this is bound to happen at some point, maybe now it won't happen again."

Can you post photos of the damage? A picture is worth . . .

You mention trading it in as an option. Have you contacted a dealer for feedback? This tack may be another good way to get the ball rolling.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:25 AM   #5
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Depends on the cost of replacing the panel. As a buyer I might well be turned off to a trailer that has a dent. First impressions are important. If trading in to a dealer then I would discuss the matter with him. Possibly let them fix the dent and deduct from the trade in value.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
All good comments, but posting pics will let you know what private buyers may think or how they may respond.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:31 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
FYI: Caught Zip-Dee support on a gate which in turn opened up a vertical seam slightly. This boo-boo cost $11,000 at the dealer to repair.

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:53 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Same Ding, Same Place!

Dealer charge for segment $495. Labor $100 per hour ($700). Decided not to repair. Annoyed at blemish - but not THAT annoyed. Dealer can repair MUCH cheaper. You've received good suggestions. Dealer will beat you up on trade-in, and/or new purchase. I'd see what I can get as a private seller first. However, the whole process is VERY time consuming depending on model and market. I've never liked trading and buying. Sell. Get your cash. Make your best deal on the next RV. THEN, buy used, after someone else took the depreciation HIT - and warranty issues!!
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:15 PM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
No, do not fix the shell. Do clean it, fix any hardware or system that does not work and remove all gear.

You need to take a trip to the dealer and talk turkey. I suspect the local AS dealer has the ability to make a "fix or sell as-is" decision and can turn your 19 at a profit. The question that you have to determine is can you get enough of a discount with the trade to work for your budget? If you can that lets you move on now and likely have a new ride to enjoy in the Spring.

If the answer is no, find a buyer that would rather have a clean debugged coach with a touch of personality than spend the premium required to purchase a new trailer and the associated warranty. You might want to consider repacking the wheel bearings, checking the brakes, and replacing tires/battery to make the trailer turn key for a new owner.

Good luck with your upgrade. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:24 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Richmond , Indiana
I am interested in a 2007 19 foot Airstream that you posted about.

I am actually interested in purchasing a 19 foot Airstream I might be interested in yours, if you decide to sell it. I would need to see pictures showing the damage. I live about an hour and a half from Jackson Center so if I decided to have it fixed I would be close to the factory. Where do you live? You can respond if you want to.
Thank you, Vaughn Hobbs
Vaughn Hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
When considering trade versus private sell, don't forget that when you trade in you'd only be paying tax on the difference, not the full cost of the new trailer.

At least that is how it works in Canada, and I would imagine also in the US - could be a significant difference that you'd need to make up in a private sale before that becomes a better option - also the hassle, and possible extra risk that might be involved.

Just things to consider when setting your bottom line price for a private sale.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Depends on the state you live in.

(Meant to quote Brian)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Yes, in WA it would be about 9.5% difference (varies slightly from county to county).
Old 01-17-2016, 05:10 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
I second what CRH said, that makes the most sense. And the blemish probably puts a spiritual anti-dent force field around the trailer for the new owner at almost no co$t to you. Leland
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by longdog View Post
I'm going to trade in / sell my 2007 19' Safari SE.
It has a rear curbside lower panel dent, that the "paintless" dent removal guy _almost_ got out (left some wrinkles), so it's visible damage, but not structural and the skin is intact.

The trailer is in otherwise very good to excellent condition (nonsmokers, adults only, stored indoors).

Should I replace the panel before I sell / trade in my trailer, or just sell it with its "personality" intact?

How much will it depreciate the value?
Just wondering longdog about your reaction to the many comments, and whether you could post some photos?

Thanks
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote