Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
1966 17' Caravel
Philly , Pennsylvania
Experience Renting your airstream?

Hi All

We have had our airstream a few months now (23 ft 73 land yatch) and am loving it. However, we find that we only use it every other weekend at most due to work travel.

We wondered is anyone rented theirs out (when not using it) to help pay for some of the upkeep. We stumbled on a listing on RentNotBuy.com, there is soneone right now listing their airstream for short rentals (see featured listings on the home page). While this guy seems to be an airstream dealer, I wonder if any private owners out there has tried doing this?

Seems like a good way to earn some extra cash, but I wondered what experiences people have had renting their airstream out?

Will be heading north for some winter camping and skiiing this weekend, can't wait

Many thanks
SumsMug
sumsmug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Ewww... I think this would be mighty risky. End cap dings or body scrapes or awning accidents or mechanical issues on the road would put a mighty high cost to this "economizing." That rental airstream is a 2004 -- axles, bearings, appliances, converter are probably in good working order -- so not so hard to understand the $189-$209/night price of the rental. I'll bet insurance is going to be factored in somewhere. This seems tempting but a private owner would get pretty disgusted when (not if) it turns sour.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:10 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
It sounds like a real good idea, but I have to agree with CanoeStream, renting your Airstream could open some giant buckets of worms.

In addition to those already mentioned, I would be most concerned about the renter's ability to properly operate all of the systems (water, sewer, electric, heat, etc.) on the Airstream. As we all know, there is a learning curve on operating RV systems. I am somewhat experienced and still mess up on occasion.

I would also be concerned about the renter's towing experience and the sufficiency of his or her tow vehicle.

I hate to be negative on this issue, but renting out my Airstream would scare me.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Would the renter even have a class III hitch with 7-pin towing hookup? And every tow vehicle requires a brake controller with myriad possible connections. Headaches? Yes. Support an aluminum habit? Not without a knowledge-based business plan.

I'll bet the RV dealer "renting" the Airstream would gladly have a renter get fired up and buy it.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think we're all way too obsessed with our silver beauties to risk handing them over to anyone else, even for a night.

Also, I just have to say, if you're getting out every other weekend, you're doing better than us!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Consider would you rent your classic convertible...even your home a weekend at a time? The risk isn't worth the income.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #7
Razorback

2005 30' Classic
Springdale , Arkansas
I would imagine the dealer who is renting the AS has the idea that once someone camps in one, they will inevitably fall in love with it and end up buying one of their own. If he sells them, then each renter is a potential buyer somewhere down the line.

Sid and Becky
2005 Classic 30 "Twinkie II"
Hensley Arrow
2008 Bighorn 4X4 Dodge 2500 Cummins
WBCCI Member At Large #2786

Life is not a dress rehearsal, live your dreams!
razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
IMO, renting an Airstream would be just as bad as lending it out...or worse!!!

The only difference is the potential paying stranger may not think of it as your pride & joy as much as a friend/relative who borrows it. Think of how you would drive an uncle's sports car versus a "rent-a-racer".

You may want to read some of the sentiments expressed here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...eam-24997.html
most would apply to rental (10-fold) as well as lending it out ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Treat it like a rental

Ever heard the phrase "Treat it like a rental"?
If you want your pride and joy "treated like a rental", rent it out. I was once told."Never rent out anything you want to use yourself". Your car, your home, your Airstream.

That being said, there are places you can sign up to rent your Airstream out for use in TV commercials, as props in settings for conventions and the like. A friend towed to the site of a commercial filming, they got fed and watered all day, had complete say over what was going on with thir Airstream, and were paid $1,000 for that one day. Not a bad deal.

Rent it out for someone to abuse.......never. The abuse may not be intentional. but it is still abuse.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:39 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Over my cold, dead body. Somebody else said "Ewwww" and that is all I can think of. They would also need the tow vehicle I use to move the AS and that is another no-no. Also, think of what CAN happen bad. It will.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:21 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
1966 17' Caravel
Philly , Pennsylvania
Hi all,

I understand your feelings about this, however, I don't feel as strongly. I have rented out my house to people in the past with no problems at all.

I also have rented out my boat when I had one (a 22ft offshore-1 E-boat, if anyone cares, about 10K-15K USD of boat at the time) and never had a problem. I always took a deposit, credit card details and the people paid for what the broke (which was never anything much more and a jib halyard).

So in summary, I'm not that worried about doing it. Esp if I get to turn down people I don't like the sound of. For example, I'm not going to rent my boat to someone that doesn't have a skipper's licence and lots of experience in the local waters.

Btw: we use the AS mostly for a base to go hiking, skiing and climbing from, so we get out pretty often and usually only for a night or two. There is nothing better after skiing than having a warm AS to relax in

SumsMug
Old 01-09-2008, 01:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumsmug
Seems like a good way to earn some extra cash, but I wondered what experiences people have had renting their airstream out?
First hand experiences? None good...

Please post yours if you decide to persue it, maybe you're on to something others would be interested in doing ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:14 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
1966 17' Caravel
Philly , Pennsylvania
P.S. For those concern with other people towing their AS, I found these guys who have been renting their airstream but they delivier it your camping location (charing 1 USD/mile)...

Airstream trailer rental
Might be worth considering? Most of the danger _has_ to come from towing.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:55 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
My renting experience

I've posted this before but it's buried somewhere. I rented my Airstream to the movies for set dressing and it suffered severe heat damage from a pyro stunt gone bad. And, as for the ewwwww factor. A security guard decided the trailer was gong to be his little hang out place, even tho' the set dresser assured me nobody would ever go in it. He slept on the gaucho and pooped in the toilet when there was no water in the tanks. Yeah, that was real pleasant...Wild Hogs Productions made everything right and spent a lot of money doing it.

All that said, I would rent to the movies again but I would have a very stringent contract written up regarding use and payment for possible damage and I would most definitely not give them the keys.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:00 PM   #15

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Boy, I'd be really hesitant too. Maybe at best it might be a matter of you towing it to a location and letting someone stay in it. Short of grounding a boat you really have a lot more leeway with that type of vehicle.

When I think about the need to hitch and level the trailer to the tow vehicle, learning how to turn without clipping a corner and hitting a post, traffic signal or sign, seeing dips in driveways to keep from dragging the rear end, backing a trailer properly, setting up a brake controller properly, making sure the tow vehicle has proper mirrors.....that's just a few of the things that you have to worry about. Heck even the best of us make mistakes, but can you imaging renting a trailer out to someone not familiar with your A/S's towing characteristics.

I really don't think you can compare this to renting a boat, although those of us who have rented houseboats have probably seen some similarity between this and a trailer. The biggest issue there is navigating to a dock for fuel and tieing it up at night so it doesn't go drifting out in the lake!

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
I have considered renting my '72, but ONLY if it was parked in my backyard, as a B & B situation. There is probably a market for this, if you're located in an area where tourists are numerous. I would NEVER let someone else tow it, or use it away from my property (family emergencies excepted). WAY too risky for my stress levels!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Nope. No. Nada.

TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #18
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Hwy_Lady
I've posted this before but it's buried somewhere. I rented my Airstream to the movies for set dressing and it suffered severe heat damage from a pyro stunt gone bad. And, as for the ewwwww factor. A security guard decided the trailer was gong to be his little hang out place, even tho' the set dresser assured me nobody would ever go in it. He slept on the gaucho and pooped in the toilet when there was no water in the tanks. Yeah, that was real pleasant...Wild Hogs Productions made everything right and spent a lot of money doing it.

All that said, I would rent to the movies again but I would have a very stringent contract written up regarding use and payment for possible damage and I would most definitely not give them the keys.
A frame from the movie:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wh1.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	52311  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Renting our Airstream

We have rented our 61 Overlander International Airstream without problem so far. It is a stationary rental on our property so there is no issue of road hazards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumsmug
Hi All

We have had our airstream a few months now (23 ft 73 land yatch) and am loving it. However, we find that we only use it every other weekend at most due to work travel.

We wondered is anyone rented theirs out (when not using it) to help pay for some of the upkeep. We stumbled on a listing on RentNotBuy.com, there is soneone right now listing their airstream for short rentals (see featured listings on the home page). While this guy seems to be an airstream dealer, I wonder if any private owners out there has tried doing this?

Will be heading north for some winter camping and skiiing this weekend, can't wait

Many thanks
SumsMug
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:43 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Defeating the purpose!

Hi, rent my trailer, H*** no. One of the main reasons we bought a trailer was so we would have our own bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and living room while traveling. We are sick of motels, hotels, and the like. I don't want to share my bed with anyone, friends, relatives, or strangers. [except spouse] I'm far from rich, but my trailer can just sit until I'm able to use it; I don't need the money that bad. You have a spare trailer "for rent only" for money, go for it. I managed a complex of duplexs and you can say that sealed the deal with me ever renting anything.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote