Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2008, 06:58 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
I see that my major comment has been addressed by a couple of other posters. I think the major concern in the "newbie" hauling the TT to a CG and what kind of experience do they have. Most renting companies/individuals rent out their AS that is already at a CG - there is no hauling to do. OR, the company will haul the AS to your CG of choice charging up to $1-$2 per mile up to a maximum of $150 - another line item in their budget. There is no hauling of the AS by the "newbie". I wouldn't want anyone hauling my trailer anywhere - knowing they lack the experience necessary. The owner does the placement of the AS and collects the rent money. Now, the only damage that can be done is by living in your trailer. When we had some rental cottages, we protected ourselves by furnishing the cottages with original art and antiques and charging accordingly. People were very careful of everything - never any damage becuase they were paying so much rent - we tended to get a more careful resident. Doesn't always work that way, but we were lucky. Would I rent out my AS? Not in a million years!!! The grief, the concern, the worry would be much too great to enjoy the extra money. Besides, I plan to use my trailer as much as possible and if we decide at the last moment to go somewhere, I would want the trailer to be accessbile - not in use by a stranger. Good luck with your decision - and I think this is probably a personal decision to be made by each individual....
Prodigy Brakes
REMEMBER, "It is better to keep your mouth shut and thought a fool
Than to open it and remove all doubt."
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:17 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Hummmmm, That's like asking me to rent my wife or my teeth. LIKE Pilgram said"NO I DONT THINK SO,NOT IN A MILLION YEARS".
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:08 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
1966 17' Caravel
Philly , Pennsylvania
Wow, So I guess in most people feel "a little uncomfortable" to rent their AS.

Like I said for me its not such a big deal. I think if one can secure the cost of the trailer in case the renter wrecks it or runs off with it i think its fine. Usually, with rental companies, this is done on a credit card, but I'm sure there are alternative ways for private owners (like me) to do the same thing. I think Rentnotbuy.com is going to offer something at some point, with contracts to sign too. So I'm going to go for it.

I will update this thread on my experiences renting... if its a horror story or not
sumsmug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:48 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumsmug
Like I said for me its not such a big deal. I think if one can secure the cost of the trailer in case the renter wrecks it or runs off with it i think its fine.
We're not talking big time theft if somebody disagrees with you. Then are you left with the relatively unenforceable small claims court? I'm not an attorney and I don't pretend to be one here (or on TV). Take your pick -- Judge Judy or Judge Wapner -- those are all small claims cases IIRC. I applaud you for your 'come what may' approach to this -- it's refreshing.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:37 AM   #25
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I really don't think you can compare this to renting a boat, although those of us who have rented houseboats have probably seen some similarity between this and a trailer. The biggest issue there is navigating to a dock for fuel and tieing it up at night so it doesn't go drifting out in the lake!

Jack
One thing you wouldn't have an equivalent for in trailering is the launch.

Ever sit arond a public boat launch for a while? I Guarantee you will have a big laugh (at someone else's expense!) if you wait long enough...
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #26
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Along with all the above posts,

Couldn't have said it better than ROBERTSUNRUS in post 20.

The idea of having someone else's ass on our can except for me and the Mrs....uh, no.

And sleep on OUR bed (the papa bear said), not unless they would agree to sleeping in a human size zip-lock freezer bag, with video monitors attached everywhere to make sure that no gross human behavior occurs.

Hotels are vile places, and I've been in enough of them. Even the nice ones I sleep with my clothes on when out on assignment.

Jonathan
Old 05-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
La Center , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev View Post
Along with all the above posts,
The idea of having someone else's ass on our can except for me and the Mrs....uh, no.

And sleep on OUR bed (the papa bear said), not unless they would agree to sleeping in a human size zip-lock freezer bag, with video monitors attached everywhere to make sure that no gross human behavior occurs

Jonathan
So, just for the sake of argument, does that mean that you would also never buy a used trailer?

Anyway... I got an email from a friend of a friend asking if I would rent my trailer for two weeks. They would park it in their driveway for their parents who are visiting from out of town. After reading these posts, I can see a lot of reasons not to agree.
longdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:32 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
How about, never. I'd have to be pretty desperate for money to even consider renting my Airstream. There are far to many reasons to even list.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:38 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
I have had two homes that were rented out and I swore I never would do it again. There is not enought space to tell you all the problems and we had contrcts, deposits etc. No way unless they wanted to be hooked up in my driveway-a new twist on a Bed and Breakfast. LOL
Old 05-03-2009, 07:10 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
I'll be happy to rent mine out for a thousand bucks per night with a $25,000 deposit.
All jokes aside, not no way, not no how. Ain't gonna' happen.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I did it

I've rented mine out once. It sat still for a small low budget movie. I was present at all times. Even slept in when not filming. Had to wear a wig for a short time to apear as one of the girls while driving the MH. My auto policy has a $500,000 limit. Film company wouldn't take out their own policy so I wouldn't let anyone else drive. The only modifications inside I would allow is different photos in my frames & their own special dishes required by the script. I would never just give anyone the keys to use AS as they see fit.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
I would not rent my airstream.

But what I would rent is this:

We'd like to buy a lakefront acreage in northern Ontario and put in full rv hookups (expensive!). I'd rent out the spot to fellow rv'ers for a little more than campground rates, for people looking for a nice spot with full hookups and privacy. I wonder if it would work or is it worth it....
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:37 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
We have a pop-up camper which we use strictly as a rental. The Airstream will never be rented. Renting out an RV is not a casual thing to do, it is work. We have had renters pull in with a compact car expecting to hitch up the pop-up and then argue over the cancellation fee. Other renters will return the unit and say it is clean and maybe to them it was but not to our standards. Then things tend to wear out quicker, mattresses, hinges, furnace switches, light switches, and I am only renting a pop-up. So if you are still considering renting out your Airstream we use an on-line service which is very good and reputable, it is GetRV.com.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by redstart View Post
I would not rent my airstream.

But what I would rent is this:

We'd like to buy a lakefront acreage in northern Ontario and put in full rv hookups (expensive!). I'd rent out the spot to fellow rv'ers for a little more than campground rates, for people looking for a nice spot with full hookups and privacy. I wonder if it would work or is it worth it....
I like your idea!!!
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:58 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
I like your idea!!!
you can be my first customer! just give me a couple of years to get it set up

maybe there are ppl out there already doing it? i'll try to google it a little!
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:57 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
I'm new here and don't yet own an Airstream, but we are actually planning to rent ours after we buy it. I actually was wanting to have this same discussion to see what experience others have had, as there are clearly people that do rent their AS out on these services. It seems that the replies here are largely negative based on an emotional obsession with the AS, or based on anecdotal evidence of experiences that are not the same as they would be using a peer-to-peer rental service. Millions of people rent out houses and rooms on AirBnB every day, and the positive largely outweighs the negative...and in most cases I see the "rentee" as being the one getting shafted more than the one providing the property.

These new peer rental services already address many of the risks that everyone raises here. They validate insurance, they validate driving records, and they include insurance for the vehicle. I have friends that have done pretty well renting out their obsessive owned cars with GetAround (Tesla Model S, Tesla Roadsters, and other luxury sports sedans/SUVs, etc)...the "drive it like a rental" actually doesn't truly apply here, yeah there are still jerks but most of the time people treat them much more similar to how they would treat their own. There is much more of a personal connection on peer-to-peer transactions, than renting from the Hertz machine with zero care of consideration given to the customer either.

SumsMug, I would look at the other rental services to. Some sites are nothing more than classified ad location for posting rental services and all of the risk and burden is on you (e.g. RentNotBuy). I would suggest looking at Outdoorsy, RVshare, or one of the other options that actually do some of the work for you in exchange for a % cut. They provide insurance, driving record checks, road side assistance, etc to help reduce the burden to you.

Don't be discouraged by those here that obviously haven't actually researched this as they have some deep connection with their AS, which I can understand...but not all of us see many objects as a member of the family, or perhaps more important than members of family in some cases I get it, I just stopped obsessing over things like this. My BMW and Audi are both dirty more often than not, I don't spend every weekend waxing and polishing them...the interiors haven't been detailed in years, and I take them to automated car washes.

We are balancing two ends of a spectrum on our AS purchase, if we want to rent it out a smaller AS is a far better option...a Sport 22 or smaller is light enough that the addressable market is pretty large as they fall within the towing range of a lot more vehicles. The increased luxury elements on a FC23/25 are really appealing on the personal level though, and that new ducted climate control is really impressive and takes the level of refinement up a few notches.

In the longer term we are considering buying a recreation lot that we would place the AS and rent out when we aren't using it, but in the shorter term it would be rent-to-tow.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:14 PM   #37

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
This is thread was last posted in 2009 so a lot has changed over time. Obviously there is the concept of renting the trailer in a fixed location where towing is not necessary which from my view has the least amount of risk for the owner.

Towing is a whole different manner and it would be interesting to see how a towed rental trailer holds up over time. You've got to deal with tow vehicles, hitches, and the peculiarities of the trailer itself when lashed to your tow vehicle. With the high cost of an Airstream on the front end, I would contend that the high cost of the trailer itself plus the inexperience of the person renting the trailer for towing might lead to some small profit margins when it's all taken into account.

I wonder the Dicky Riegal's Airstream rental business is going? I think he was providing the entire package which was trailer and tow vehicle for rent.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:18 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Classic 36
Seattle , Washington
I'm glad to hear you are giving it a go! I'm a big fan of the 'sharing economy'. I travel a lot for work and primarily use AirBnb's. There's a service actually, just like AirBnb for RV owner and renters. May check it out:
https://www.outdoorsy.co/

As you may expect, there's mixed reviews. I also consider there are 10-20 positive experiences for every negative review left, as most people just don't leave positive reviews. That said, I prefer to arm anyone with as much information as possible when making any suggestions/recommendations.

So check out reviews on Trustpilot: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.outdoorsy.co

We are prepping to live in our Airstream Moho for quite a while, but when we need/want a break, we use Airbnb and are likely to rent out our Moho so others can enjoy it while we relax.

Looking forward to hearing more about your experiences!

s
sidburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:36 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
What I see as the biggest issue is the common, collective knowledge base between traditional homes, apartments, etc., which is not there for many who might want to rent an RV just to see what it would be like.

There is a specialized skill set we have all had to learn for our rigs, which newbies coming in would not have, and sometimes serious consequences for errors.

Someone familiar with RV's would have a lot of that, needing just specifics for any particular rig, but someone coming in who had never been in an RV before?...I just can't imagine turning mine over to much of anyone, much less someone who just wanted to try it all out.

But, that's me, and if we were all the same what a dull world it would be.

Maggie
Old 08-03-2017, 03:43 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Wow, I'm not sure how I found this thread from 2009 to bring it from the archives...I can't recall that I found it in a search, just through browsing. I hadn't suspected that I was deep enough to be 8 years in the past, so sorry for the statements that were obviously not recognizing the vintage of the thread

Yes, in 2009 things like Outdoorsy didn't exist so it would have been a very different discussion.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote