Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2017, 10:09 PM   #1

Squamich , British Colimbia
Is anyone Airstreaming an Classic 33fb in Europe?

Dear Airstream Community,

May I defer to you for some guidance and some counseling? I am planning a 3 to 5 year Airstream tour of Europe. I have looked at the largest Airstream model made for the European market which is a 684 (25' long). Unfortunately, for the people that will visit/ travel with me over this period of time, I feel that the 684 will be to small for my needs and requirements.

However, there is an Airstream model that would be ideal for this trip and that is a 2018 Airstream Classic 33fb... and here-in lays my conundrum. Based on my research to date the only Airstreams over 30' I've seen in Europe are designated as 'vintage'. I have yet to find anyone's story that has imported a newer, longer, wider, heavier, insured Airstream and is traveling through Europe in it now. At first I thought that this was mainly due to the fact that the Europeans do not produce a 1/2 or 3/4 tonne truck to pull a caravan over 3500kg's. Than of course I started reading about UK width restrictions

Who I'd really love to hear from is someone in the Airstream Community who has actually circumnavigated through these waters of:
  1. Importing a NEWER Airstream from the US
  2. Preferably a 'Classic' and or over 30'
  3. Confirmation of importing a US Tow car ie: Ford F-150/ 250
  4. Registered both the vehicle and the caravan
  5. Whether a European citizen was required for registration
  6. Whether it was necessary to make any conversions when you had a proper tow vehicle to handle tongue weights, GVWR, etc.
  7. Who did you use to import truck and caravan from the US
  8. Who did you use to register the vehicles
... and are you enjoying their US Airstream Classic on the other-side of the pond? In closing, I thank anyone and everyone who will share me with me their knowledge, wisdom and experience as to whether or not I can go down this road that looks less traveled.

Kind regards, Drew AKA Kokpuff
Kokopuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:28 PM   #2

Currently Looking...
Bury St Edmunds , Suffolk
Any AS of the current width is more (just) than the 2.55m max width permitted for any trailer (incl 40T semi trailers). That's why you never see current US models being towed around on this side of the Atlantic
VincentA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:25 PM   #3
RJ Dominic, 1975 Soverign

1985 34' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Potsdam , New York
Send a message via AIM to Flat Creek
This model would not be legal tow in the UK or Europe with out special permits and approved tow vehicle. When I ship large units to UK and Europe I hire specialized transporters who can handle the 'oversize' units to be parked where they are going.
Good luck
vintagetransportsolutions.com
(914) 204-6190
Flat Creek is offline   Reply With Quote