Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2018, 09:55 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , CALIFORNIA
Ensenada MEXICO

Hi! Is it safe to take our Airstream across the border to Ensenada Mexico and if so any recommmedations for RV hookups? Thank you!
ShirleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Shirley just to get you started Google, Airforums Airstreams in Mexico and you should get several threads of successful trips to
Mexico.

Several members of the 4 Corners Unit did a similar trip couple of years ago and had a very good trip.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Why put yourself possibly in harms way. Even a small chance is not worth the risk to me. Lots of great places here and canada!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I spend several weeks a year in Mexico. I've been in Ensenada many times, dating back to the '60's, when my father used to take me there every year to fish for yellowtail tuna. My own perception is that you're not any more likely to have problems in Mexico than you would be in the USA. That is, there are places in the US where you are very likely to have problems, and places in Mexico where you are very likely to have problems. Ensenada is not one of them. I've not camped near Ensenada, but a quick check of the internet shows glowing reports of several of the nearby RV parks.

Ensenada is not a cultural gem of Mexico. It is a place to go to fish and enjoy some pretty good Mexican food. It is a place to enjoy meeting some Mexicans, who are genuinely friendly and welcoming to everyone, particularly if you have some money to spend.

Don't eat street food, don't drink anything with ice in it, and don't eat raw food, such as salads, anywhere but in the best restaurants. Only drink bottled water (or water that you brought in in your Airstream). Even in the best restaurants, only eat enough so you feel slightly full, not stuffed. Your digestive system will have enough trouble adjusting to the local food without being stuffed.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:10 PM   #5
Renassiance man

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Simi valley , California
Do at your own risk!!
Brentsdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:58 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
I frequently go to Baja California. Consider joining VAGABUNDOS DEL MAR it is a longstanding Mexico travel club that you can get your permits from, purchase inexpensive insurance for your vehicle and trailer, ask questions, get advice, travel with other members if you like. Membership is $30.00 per year, great deal if you plan on going more than once.
Please follow their laws which if you’re stopped for an infraction they will tell you they have to take you to jail. Do NOT offer money to officer, just follow them to police station and talk to Chief of Police and pay “any” fine there. Be sure to have your Mexican insurance information with you.
In Mexico you are guilty in a traffic accident until PROVEN NOT GUILTY. Vagabundos insurance has legal representation available, so take advantage of it.
Suggest unless you speak fluent Spanish you only speak English and read English.
You stay out of any trouble that way.
Mexico is a great place and you will have a wonderful time.
In Ensenada is one of my favorite restaurants EL REY SOL , it is where the big wigs eat, is not very expensive and their kitchen is cleaner than some hospital surgery centers. AEW
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:49 PM   #7
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Was just in Ensenada last week (sans trailer). You should check out the Valle de Vino area between Tecate and Ensenada. There are some RV parks and a vineyard or two where I saw trailers set up. There are some good wines and some very affordable wines (La Cetto). You could then day trip into Ensenada to shop and eat. And yes, El Rey Sol is excellent...had Valentines dinner there!

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
We love travel in Mexico, especially the warm and friendly people. So much misinformation from folks who have little if any experience there. Just use common sense as you do here in the states. Read a bit about the culture and travel tips, plenty of information on the web.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
I basically lived in Ensenada from 2003 through 2008. I is a wonderful town, friendly people and a beautiful coastal ambiance. The local food is great (especially the seafood). I would suggest, however, that you travel with a group. Mexico and the Baja is still a place where you can get into trouble.

Be safe. Be respectful. Be aware. Although many people in Ensenada speak English, if you do not know Spanish and the local customs, have people with you that do.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote