Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Modifications
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Question convertion of Engine AC

I have a 93 Landyacht. I need to convert the main front AC. Can any one explain how that is done? South Ga is very hot and I must have cool air when I'm driving.
possummamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by possummamma View Post
I have a 93 Landyacht. I need to convert the main front AC. Can any one explain how that is done? South Ga is very hot and I must have cool air when I'm driving.
Convert from what to what?

If you mean the refrigerant, there is a discussion of retrofitting R12 systems with R134A here. It is a fairly good explanation.

Last time I did one was at least 10 years ago. There were kits available. They included instructions.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Probably best to take it somewhere as you need a vacuum pump to do the job right and there aren't any cheap setups suitable for the shade tree mechanic.

Minimally you have to put converter caps on the high and low pressure service ports, evacuate, add ester oil, and charge. Sometimes there isn't enough clearance for the converter caps and so the service ports have to be moved. Many mechanics will replace the accumulator and filter/dryer (if present) during a conversion as these are inexpensive parts that can retain a fair amount of the mineral oil which is a contaminant in a r134a system.

One fact to consider is that you will lose about 10% of cooling capacity as a result of the conversion. Recycled R12 prices have come down so you may be better off finding a shop that will just recharge it with R12.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Dash air won't cool the cockpit on a hot day by itself. To be cool you'll need to run the generator and the overhead AC.

Some folks don't even bother with the dash air, they just use the overhead unit.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, land yacht, motorhome, air conditioning