Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Global 'streaming > Shipping & Export/Import
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2009, 02:02 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
who decides?

Just wondering where the numbers come from for the sale price.....Bill of Sale? I sell cheap.....(Bill of Sale)....but the personal services provided are pretty expensive.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Hastings , UK
shipping

Hello all.

The cheapest quote for a 31FT I’ve had so far is $3400 currently £2103, this was from Galveston to Southampton from airstreamguy.com
This did not include insurance or any of the duties when it gets to Southampton.

I've contacted both Richard at agsintl@aol.com and Elite shipping but haven’t received a reply.

I hope this is helpful.

Lucy.
lgastall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:18 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgastall View Post
Hello all.

The cheapest quote for a 31FT I’ve had so far is $3400 currently £2103, this was from Galveston to Southampton from airstreamguy.com
This did not include insurance or any of the duties when it gets to Southampton.

I've contacted both Richard at agsintl@aol.com and Elite shipping but haven’t received a reply.

I hope this is helpful.

Lucy.
Great info Lucy. Please let us know if you find anything out about insurance and import duty etc.

Cheers.
Edinburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:18 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Bromsgrove , Worcestershire
I've just bought in a 20' GT from NY State, shipped from Baltimore for £3k. That's a Door to Door service including duties, taxes, insurance, port charges the whole 9 yards.
Chiefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:54 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Hastings , UK
For the VAT/Import duties I'm pretty sure you pay 2.5% of the cost of the A/S for the import duty and then 17.5% on the total cost of importing the airstream.

E.g. - Sorry if this appears patronizing.

Cost of A/S 1000
Cost of shipping 1000
Import duty 25
VAT 354
Total 2379

Silver Connie was really great when I asked her about it.

Lucy.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Hastings , UK
Which company did you use Cheify?
Old 12-21-2009, 10:10 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
For the VAT/Import duties I'm pretty sure you pay 2.5% of the cost of the A/S for the import duty and then 17.5% on the total cost of importing the airstream.

E.g. - Sorry if this appears patronizing.

Cost of A/S 1000
Cost of shipping 1000
Import duty 25
VAT 354
Total 2379

Silver Connie was really great when I asked her about it.

Lucy.
Are you saying you're only paying £1000 for the shipping? And £1000 for the Airstream?!
Old 12-21-2009, 11:38 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Quote:
Which company did you use Cheify?
Carship / Transglobal, Will Pocock was really helpful.

Car shipping Australia, USA, South Africa, Cyprus, UK » Trans Global Logistics UK Limited

Igastall, you are correct on the calc for duty and tax, I put the decimal point in the wrong place

Mines sat on the docks covered in snow right now with nothing moving in the south of England due to the weather
Old 12-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Hastings , UK
The £1000s were just expample for and easier calculation.

I hope you get your A/S home soon Cheify
Old 01-17-2010, 01:00 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
The GT arrived just after christmas and is now sitting on the drive waiting for the work to start.

Another couple of tips for Folks looking to ship a vintage trailer back to europe.

1. Get a spare set of keys cut for the trailer before you ship it anywhere. Have the vendors DHL / UPS the spare keys directly to you.

It's a blindingly simple thing at the time and seems like commonsense now, seeing as the shippers lost the only set of keys en-route.

2. If you pay for Marine insurance, ask the shippers what the excess is and what exactly is covered.

You've guessed it already.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:37 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
kendal , cumbria, UK
Hi Chiefy - have been waiting for news of your new baby and hope, despite your problems, you are happy with your acquisition.

1. Hope you get your keys soon and get to have a look inside.
The US dealer, who shipped ours, was supposed to send the UK dealer we used a spare set of keys separate from the trailer. It didn't happen, but at least we could get into our new trailer.

2. Hope your damage is not too extensive - at least she's safely in your drive. Ours arrived with a dirty great dent in the UK nearside rock guard, so much so that it damaged the trailer skin. Told this was due to handling at Southampton. Some repair work done but still shows - you'll see when we meet at the next UK meet.

Good luck, John
WK57ABF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:02 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Hi again

Latest update: apart from the lost keys there is no other damage and the Shipping line is going to foot the bill for new keys / locks.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:20 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Falmouth , Cornwall
Hi, I wish you all well. My 1970 28' Airstream is currently at sea from Charleston CA to Southampton on the Elektra. Which is a Walleneius ship. Their Website is very informative.
a-mul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:39 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Finally........I've been abale to get inside and I am really happy.

Original Owners manual including loads of extra stuff for the awning etc found tucked away inside.All the original fittings and catches have remained intact.

A-Mul, I hope all goes well for you (it was Walleneus ship that lost my keys!).
Old 02-01-2010, 12:26 AM   #35
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
hi there;
have a look on my small webside:

How to import an Airstream in France... for dummies

It's not for England but you can find a lot of tips or warning for exportation to Europe.

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:28 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Question revival

Hi folks. i thought I'd revive this thread as I'm now looking for an Airstream in the US for export to the UK. I need all the help/ advice I can get as I don't know a great deal about the technical aspects of buying an Airstream and have never imported anything like this before.

I've been using the Airstream Guy, Mark airstreamguy.com - Home - can anyone comment on their experience of using him as their agent?

Should I try to arrange for someone on the forum to inspect the trailer before I buy? (Mark said he normally asks a bunch of questions over the phone to determine the condition of a trailer).

Is it worth trying to purchase any additional items the trailer might need and have those shipped at the same time?

Is anyone aware of any companies who could transport my Airstream from the port in Southampton to me in Scotland?

Any help or advice appreciated.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:32 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Lymington , Hampshire
Send a message via Skype™ to Swagman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Hi,
indeed the best route out of SoCal is via Galveston. K-line, who I have used, have a route that includes Galveston - Jacksonville - Baltimore - Newark - Zeebrugge and onto the UK and the Med. Contact Andy Steinmetz at agsintl@aol.com in Philadelphia. I can personally recommend him.
Marc
FYI this email address is no longer valid - my inquiry today just bounced.
JOHN
Swagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Andy Steinmetz and the company is AGS international his phone is 610-255-5800. Email is agsintl@comcast.net

I use him a lot.
Tell him Richard in Bat Cave recommended him.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:28 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Lymington , Hampshire
Send a message via Skype™ to Swagman
Thanks Richard. Have added AGS and asked them to bid for the shipping. I'll let you know who wins and why.

From what I read about the risks with RORO shipping, I'm considering paying a higher insurance premium to reduce any excess. What do you think on that?

Cheers
John
Swagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:15 AM   #40
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
All

the major problem with RoRos is not the type of vessel but the routes your precious ends up on. There are a number of routes across the pond but I have heard K-Line mentioned and I'll compare two of theirs.

1, The Mexico - Gulf(Galvaston) - East Coast to Europe and Med. route. This is fine until it gets to this side. Because the ship is continuing onto the med it drops off your load - sometimes quite literally - in Holland and leaves it for a ship returning from the Med pick-ups and making the last european stop(Southampton) before heading back to Mexico.

2, Transatlantic Shuttle:This is quick and the best of the routes: East coast to Bremerhaven and into Soton before it's return.

Go for the latter where possible: No amount of insurance will compensate for a damaged Airstream at Soton.

Bon Voyage!

M