Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2019, 10:59 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
And one of those features, unfortunately, had unintended consequences. Easy fix for 19s though.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:32 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Simple? Takes less than an hour? I have to say, if I needed to do this on my 25FB, access to that stuff is difficult and takes more than an hour just to get there. Nice workaround, complicated by Airstream design.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:31 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Andrew, why did you install the bulbs? I am told by a reliable source that all that is needed is a very low rated relay. No load required. The relay load side can be hooked to any other 12v powered circuit, wherever convenient.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 06-13-2019, 06:42 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The pulse isn't there to determine if the trailer is connected per se. That is accomplished through the itbc brake circuit. However, it is there for "bulb" monitoring as well as a trailer anti theft feature. If the itbc, onstar module and bcm, see that a trailer was connected whe the vehicle is shut off and locked (theft deterrent activated) and someone disconnects the trailer, the alarm will sound, onstar is notified, and your phone app will notify you.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:41 PM   #25
ZOZ
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Peru , Illinois
A Little More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
The 2019 GM trucks send a pulse signal down the running light wire to know if a trailer is connected. This pulse messes with the backup camera.

The fix is really simple on an Airstream. Takes less than 1 hour.

In the front corner where all the wiring comes in install a simple fog light relay along with a pair of incandescent bulbs.

Cut the green running light wire. Use the end from the plug to power the coil on the relay and the incandescent bulbs.

Feed power to the common terminal on the relay and connect the trailer side of the green wire to the normally open terminal.

I guess this is what happens when you buy vehicles the manufacture did not intend to be used for towing(couldn’t resist)Attachment 343162Attachment 343163

We did one yesterday. It solved it.
Thank you Andrew for your hard work in this matter.

However, without a wiring diagram, some of the connections are vague.

For example, what is the two pole junction block for and what is the black/white wire for?

Do you need bulbs to light in the fixture or not?

If you can identify all the wires on the relay, that would be helpful.

zoz
ZOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:12 AM   #26

2007 25' Safari FB SE
South Bend , Indiana
The problem is with the new energy management system GM is using to monitor power used by the trailer to sense when a light bulb is out. This system does not allow enough power to the wireless camera so the cameras cannot communicate with the monitors in the tow vehicles. You can measure the voltage at the camera and it will measure 12V but the GM tow vehicle will not allow enough current to flow to the camera. I am an Engineer for Furrion and we are developing a 7-way harness to eliminate this problem. Product should be available in the coming months. We have attempted to contact GM but have received no response or support for the issue.
Kapamumu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:20 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapamumu View Post
The problem is with the new energy management system GM is using to monitor power used by the trailer to sense when a light bulb is out. This system does not allow enough power to the wireless camera so the cameras cannot communicate with the monitors in the tow vehicles. You can measure the voltage at the camera and it will measure 12V but the GM tow vehicle will not allow enough current to flow to the camera. I am an Engineer for Furrion and we are developing a 7-way harness to eliminate this problem. Product should be available in the coming months. We have attempted to contact GM but have received no response or support for the issue.
My understanding is there will be a bulletin, prescribing a relay install. For 19 only. These two feature benefits will be eliminated for 2020, in order to accommodate the aftermarket camera market.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:57 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Oviedo , Florida
2019 GMC/2018 27FB wireless camera issue!

I have talked to Voyager, Airstream, and GM. I am told that 2019 GMC has a “pulsed electrical signal to trailer lights”. Suggested remedy till manufacturers work out differences? Is to run a hard wire(in a shield)with inline 10 amp fuse and on/off switch at battery, under and thru trailer frame to camera wire at rear of trailer. I have not done this yet but having my trailer repair shop give me an estimate to do work.. Airstream and Voyager believe it is a GMC design issue.
David2638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:03 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by David2638 View Post
I have talked to Voyager, Airstream, and GM. I am told that 2019 GMC has a “pulsed electrical signal to trailer lights”. Suggested remedy till manufacturers work out differences? Is to run a hard wire(in a shield)with inline 10 amp fuse and on/off switch at battery, under and thru trailer frame to camera wire at rear of trailer. I have not done this yet but having my trailer repair shop give me an estimate to do work.. Airstream and Voyager believe it is a GMC design issue.
Explained up thread.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:46 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by David2638 View Post
This would work, but it is way too complicated and doesn't allow for switching the camera on and off from the TV cabin. Just tap into the running light circuit with the control side of an old fashioned low amperage relay and use power for the load side of the relay from whatever is convenient in the rear of the trailer. Like a reading light, etc. A mechanical relay is too slow to react to the high frequency, low amperage signal. No shielding required.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:25 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Wherever I may roam , America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geseaman View Post
Truck A = 2018 GMC Sierra 2500 SLT
Truck B = 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali

Testing/Results:
1. Connect 7 pin to truck A & plug voyager monitor into truck A = monitor works
2. Connect 7 pin to truck A & plug voyager monitor into truck B = monitor works
3. Connect 7 pin to truck B & plug voyager monitor into truck B = monitor does not work properly (works for 2-3 seconds then buzzes and says no signal for 2-3 seconds, repeatedly back and forth)
Can confirm I don't have any issues with this on my 2019 GMC Sierra 2500.
johnparris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:29 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnparris View Post
Can confirm I don't have any issues with this on my 2019 GMC Sierra 2500.
2019 HDs are the prior generation platform and electrical architecture. The HDs get the new platform for 2020. LDs will not have the 2 features which require the pulsed signal for 2020, but I dont know if the HDs will or not.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:19 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
I was worried seeing this thread, but I’m happy to report no issues with my 2019 Diesel Colorado and WVOS43.
posty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:59 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB International
Charlotte , NC
Quote:

Any news on when this may be available?
VDR928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:37 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Guys, I have no idea if this would work but I remember seeing a reference to some newer European VAG (Volkswagen Auto Group) vehicles having issues with LED trailer lights. This device plugs into the 7 Pin plug and supposedly solves their issue.

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/20142.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31A35805-D9E8-48BC-AAF6-4F76AA1F439C.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	345121  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:23 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Charlotte , NC
GREAT news for all 2019 GMC owners with this problem! Furrion's head of customer relations called my husband (answered prayer!) They HAVE a prototype and are mailing us one free to test. It is a plug that plugs in the 7 way and boosts the voltage. They have tested it in a truck there and it works. We are beyond happy!! He is overnighting it and we should have it tomorrow. I can't express how much this means to us. It isn't JUST the camera and situation but it restores our hope in humanity doing the "right thing" which seems to be a lost art. The problem is really with GMC and there system so kudos to Furrion for stepping up!
Old 07-02-2019, 06:51 PM   #37

2007 25' Safari FB SE
South Bend , Indiana
This is a problem with your new GMC truck. Furrion will be releasing a fix for this camera issue in three to four weeks. It is a 7-way harness that will plug into your GMC and your Airstream will plug into this new harness. It will fix your issue 100%. I do not know what it will cost yet but will keep the forum informed when it is available to the public.
Kapamumu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:55 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Charlotte , NC
Quote:
Thank you for all the hard work! We contacted GMC's Auto Engineer, Daniel Cohen about the new adapter (Furrion's head of customer service is sending us a prototype and we will try it out today). Maybe if we get the word out of a simple fix GMC will take notice? We are also letting our GMC dealers here in town know about the fix.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:18 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Charlotte , NC
Hallelujah!!

The prototype arrived today. It was a heavy-duty, strong-looking, quality, adapter. We hooked it up and Voila... Instant picture! It is crystal clear and looks just like it did in the 2016 GMC Canyon, before we traded. Kudos to the Furrion team for all their hard work. We were considering doing the wiring for a steady 12 volt supply ourselves and after doing the camera install, we were really not looking forward to another project (especially one we would have to research like that). This adapter is supposed to be ready for sale in 3-4 weeks and I would like to highly recommend it. We will take some photos on the road and give an update as we travel. Don't tear into your wiring!!!
Old 07-07-2019, 07:31 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
My Airstream dealer installed a simple fix with a relay when we picked up the trailer. Everything works. Only gotcha is an error message when the trailer is plugged in saying lights not working but they are. It’s the sensor mechanism which is now bypassed.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote