Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Insurance

Well now that we don't have a "real" physical address the insurance company is giving me a hassle about our auto insurance. Seems I have to attest to garaging in one location for a minimum of 6 months out of 12. The agent is requiring an actual, physical address, so I gave her my friend's empty farmhouse. It gets better, I have to insurance my personal contents of said empty farmhouse and to have an umbrella policy there are certain minimum coverages required. So I'm suppose to pay nearly $500 for insurance on an empty farmhouse so that I can insure my tow vehicle. In other words Insurance for my Insurance, I hate insurance to begin with, always feeling like it's bad karma that the only way you get your money's worth is if something bad happens. Any ideas would be appreciated.
hollyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Holly

check with Jim and Debbie (DreamStreamR) to see what they do. I know they have written about similar issues on their blog. Weaselmouth.com are also fulltimers but they have only been doing it for a little while so they may not have encountered this in that until Feb they were living in an apt.

other than that, I'd suggest trying another insurance agent.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Kingwood , Texas
Holly,
Would you be interested in checking out a trailer in Amesbury, MA and if so how much do you charge?
Lady Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
if you are fultiming....

you have to have a legal domicile...

if you are without property, and in our, your, case full time traveling...

.we were texans and so by belonging to escapees rv club and using their mail service ...they provide an address which, by registering a vehicle, voting and intent to remain a texas...we have an address that satisfies...geico, progressive, and other insurers recognize escape members and there is no hassle with our insurance...vehicle wise and rv wise...providing a rv" homeowners" policy that provides all the benefits of a traditional homeowners policy...
.' but one has to have some type of "bona fide" address....or else you are just homeless and suspect of being a terrorist or some other misfit
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Holly,
Would you be interested in checking out a trailer in Amesbury, MA and if so how much do you charge?
Sorry just got your email. We live in Mexico most of the year and only spent brief time seeing to our house in Maine. Did you buy this rig?
hollyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
My home is in Mexico so I list my physical address in South Dakota. What I have there is a mailbox which South Dakota and the IRS recognise as a physical address.

Americas-Mailbox Home - mail forwarding - Americas-Mailbox

My Toad and trailer are registered in South Dakota. These people were very helpful in getting my vehicles registered there. Just one of many services that they offer.
graysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Contact the Escapees full timer r.v. club. They have this problem worked out and are in contact with insurance agents who insure to full timers who have no dirt residence.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
We have made South Dakota our permanent address thru America's Mailboxes. We bought our trailer and truck after that and they did the title work. We are at this very moment in Vermillion SD to get drivers license Thursday. They are not open everyday. Our insurance on our AS and our Dodge Ram 2500 in SD is the same as our 2007 PTCruiser in N.O.
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
If you need more information on our transition to full-timing let us know. We would be happy to talk or email our information in detail.
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, tow vehicles