Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
Airstream fanatic

1979 31' Sovereign
Bouse , Arizona
staying cool???

How do you stay cool in your Airstream?!!!
Its like 102 degrees already and my electric bill is slowly climbing... can anyone make any suggestions for staying cool, without running the AC all day??

I've tried opening the windows at 5am to let the cold in...and right around 8 when it starts to get hot, I buckle everything down. But my problem is by noon, I'm roasting and I have to turn the AC on... and it runs until 6:30-7pm at night....

Help anyone would be greatly appreciated!!!!

1979 Sovereign International (Olivia)
1986 F-250 4X4 (Oscar)
BLOG: https://grapesbigadventure.wordpress.com.
Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Head North or find covered parking.
Airstreams are not well insulated. Perhaps you can get a Whispercool portable swamp cooler.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
We have a 31' Excella and we set the thermostat at 74 degrees and put a small fan in the bedroom on medium and one on the galley counter, also on medium.

I would not shut my A/C off. I takes too much energy to try to cool everything down again.

Someone [posted on here that an Airstream looses almost 1200 Btu's through the aluminum.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Note: For those unfamiliar with Arizona, Bouse is near the portion of the Colorado River commonly referred to as "the Parker Strip" (i.e., the strip of the Colorado River, near Parker, AZ, that divides Arizona and California). The summer daytime temperatures in this region often reach 115-120 degrees F.

Grapes, if you are a snowbird and/or haven't been through your first Arizona summer, now is the time many head for the mountains. Otherwise, be prepared for temperatures close to those in Death Valley, accompanied by humongous electric bills.

If you want to stay in Arizona, your best bet is to head for Prescott, Flagstaff or the Arizona White Mountains (Payson, Show Low, etc.), preferably where the altitude is above 5,000 feet. It is still near freezing at night in some of these areas, but the overnight lows will warm up quickly in the next few weeks.

Otherwise, you might want to get your map out and start looking at the Rockies or Sierra Nevadas. Many campgrounds in higher elevations that were closed all winter will be open soon, if they aren't already.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
I have heard painting your roof with a special white coating will help reflect heat. Consider cutting out pieces of Reflectix for each window. Best idea is to move near me in northern Vermont. Our houses don't even have airconditioners!
Old 04-29-2013, 06:34 AM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Airstreams aren't going to stay cool at 102* without running the AC, even parked in the shade. If you are parked in direct sunlight Fahgettaboudit!

Here in the Deep South, humidity is the killer. We run the AC 24/7 on some trips. Others we luck up and the temps cool enough or a cold front comes through and drops the relative humidity to below 50% making it pretty nice.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Full sun exposure in an Airstream in those temps requires AC...no other way. Next best way to reduce electrical use is to get it under some shade. Makes a big difference. That shiny aluminum skin just soaks up the heat. I remember my first trip out with my then new 2001 28' Safari. Next to me was a friend who had bought my 30' SOB. Both trailers had 13.5 K air conditioners. We were in full son 104 degrees. My Safari was 88 inside, my old SOB was 78. The SOB was white in color.

Once the sun was out of the sky, the temperatures inside got back to normal. Hence my comment regarding shade....also the reason that I took the option back in 2004 to build our Classic with a 15K AC unit.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
How do you stay cool in your Airstream?!!!
Its like 102 degrees already and my electric bill is slowly climbing... can anyone make any suggestions for staying cool, without running the AC all day??

I've tried opening the windows at 5am to let the cold in...and right around 8 when it starts to get hot, I buckle everything down. But my problem is by noon, I'm roasting and I have to turn the AC on... and it runs until 6:30-7pm at night....

Help anyone would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Where you are, Bouse , Arizona, you are not going to stay cool in the summer, even with the air conditioner running all the time.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post
Someone [posted on here that an Airstream looses almost 1200 Btu's through the aluminum.
It wouldn't take much to convince me that it was a 12,000 Btu loss on some of those hot summer days we see in Texas also. The best defense is a couple of strategically place shade trees and they are mighty scarce.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #10
Airstream fanatic

1979 31' Sovereign
Bouse , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2vets View Post
I have heard painting your roof with a special white coating will help reflect heat. Consider cutting out pieces of Reflectix for each window. Best idea is to move near me in northern Vermont. Our houses don't even have airconditioners!

The PO painted the top of the trailer already. And I've tried the reflectix material. Ugh... Vermont is far lol

1979 Sovereign International (Olivia)
1986 F-250 4X4 (Oscar)
BLOG: https://grapesbigadventure.wordpress.com.
Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote