Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2017, 06:39 AM   #1

Morton , Illinois
Full timing families with teenager and tween?

My husband and I are looking into the possibility of full timing eventually with our daughter (age 15) and son (age 8). Do you know of anyone who does this? We are looking at the Flying Cloud 30 or something like it. We would appreciate your thoughts and ideas.
kristaltimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
I follow @bareneckers on Instagram who are full-timing in an Airstream (recently moved from a 5er) with four kids of various ages. They have a blog at bareneckers.com.

I believe @boldadventure is active on this forum. Family of 4 in an Airstream, though their children are significantly younger than yours.

@livinlightly is another. Their two children are also much younger than yours.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Welcome to the forum! I'm assuming that you are already homeschooling. If not, I'd strongly suggest that you discuss that with your family first. ALL of you have to be fully on board with it or it won't work. Make sure that you are able to meet the homeschooling requirements for your State.

Second, consider privacy issues. Your daughter and son will need their own spaces, and Airstreams aren't all that big. Nothing that can't be overcome, but something that needs to be thought about.

Ask lots of questions here. You might also want to join the escapees forum and rv-dreams forum. There are families on both that are doing what you want to do. Keep asking questions and you will eventually get to the point where you have a good idea of what will work for you.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:11 PM   #4
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Get yourselves on Instagram:

@currentlywandering
@13roads
@upintheairstream
@mo_matthew (@wandering_nation)

There are many more (a lot of which have younger kids) but that should get you started. If you join and follow them, more will pop up.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:12 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Lenexa , Kansas
Check out the "Families" tab on this page:

http://www.technomadia.com/young-ful...-rving-nomads/

Has a list of several families happily making it work.

Other resources:

We have a 6 and 3 year old and are going to try it out in our 31' Excella, first with this summer and then beyond if it goes well. You only live once, I say go for it! Get tents if the airstream gets too crowded , that's our plan anyways.
ctaulborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:44 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Sulphur , Oklahoma
I think going on the road is a great idea if all are for it and you get the right rv.
I don't think an air stream would be large enough for all of you. The couch and table as beds are not very comfortable, no matter what your age. The hassle of setting up everyday would become old really quick.Think about rainy days when all of you have to stay indoors in such a small space. We have a Classic just my husband and I and two little dogs, any more than two people for any amount of time gets to be a challenge. I think your daughter being 15 would get tired of not having her own space. The Montana fifth wheels are really nice and I think they have bunks which would give both children a little privacy. Wish you luck.
Dennisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:36 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
I can't recommend fulltiming for a teen either, especially not for a teen girl. I raised four to adulthood, the need for privacy, to be alone, that is all very real, it is not a "spoiled child" thing. I still don't know how we 6 managed in a 2br/1ba apartment, but cooperative siblings helped, and the 3 year spacing between kids had her two older brothers move out when she was 15. She chose to share a bedroom with her 10yr old brother after years in a curtained off portion of the living room. It wasn't easy for her, she just made it work because it was the best we could do. Because what else could she do? But it was frustrating for her, little brothers can be real,... you know.

If my love and I feel a bit in each other's way after three or four months in a 32 Classic Moho, I would not even want to imagine how it would feel to a teen girl with her family of four. She will likely feel as if she'd been sent to hell. We are all drama queens at that age.

The other thing is, high school. It's not generally a good thing to move a child once they have entered high school. Especially if he or she is shy and slow to make friends. .

Anyway, that's my .02c. I don't matter a hill of beans when you come down to it. Listen to your kids, it's their lives.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:23 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Southwest VA , Virginia
There is so much wanderlust in me, I know I was the 15 year old girl who would have LOVED to have gone full time. I think this is very individualistic for each teen girl. Some would feel like their lives were smothered and would not fare well. Others would have a wonderful time, but are fearful of leaving what they know (even if it is bad ) and only need to try it to find out they would love it.

Then there are others who would thrive in this environment. They may not be having an ideal high school life. Many would love to have a complete change of location in their lives and it would boos their confidence and expand their world.

I believe the privacy is a real issue, but I personally would modify the Airstream to make this happen. Ideally, you would want something over 30 feet, in my opinion. I'd have the design that has the shower on the separate side from the sink/toilet. I'd put the younger child in a bunk and either modify the front sleeper or rear bedroom for her alone. You as the parents may need to be willing to have a smaller space or be the ones who modify your sleeping arrangements.

Homeschooling is VERY possible on the road, and again, many many many teens thrive with this style of education. There are all types of online high schools, provided you have access to an internet for just a few hours a day (like 2-3), or there are scores of programs where no internet is needed and teacher's guides are scripted for the students. Honestly, being out in the world mixing with other groups of people and learning how to interact with all ages and personality types is a much more reality based than being forced into classrooms of 30 of the same aged people, reading or listening to the exact same material, for the exact same amount of time 8 hours a day five days a week. That isn't what they will face in a real world environment, so I'm not sure why it is the only model encouraged by our educational system. Basically, if you're interested in what she would be learning, she will follow suit.

I guess if it were me, I would rent an Airstream first for at least a week (longer would be better and, yes, this will get expensive, but not as expensive as purchasing a trailer and not knowing) and see how she does.

Again, she may have a very fulfilling life already. But at 15, I was so ready to leave what I knew and seize new opportunities, I would have jumped if my parents had done this.
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq8...f-20yO0hiMmqlA
Old 05-17-2017, 12:54 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful1 View Post
There is so much wanderlust in me, I know I was the 15 year old girl who would have LOVED to have gone full time. I think this is very individualistic for each teen girl. Some would feel like their lives were smothered and would not fare well. Others would have a wonderful time, but are fearful of leaving what they know (even if it is bad ) and only need to try it to find out they would love it.

Then there are others who would thrive in this environment. They may not be having an ideal high school life. Many would love to have a complete change of location in their lives and it would boos their confidence and expand their world.

I believe the privacy is a real issue, but I personally would modify the Airstream to make this happen. Ideally, you would want something over 30 feet, in my opinion. I'd have the design that has the shower on the separate side from the sink/toilet. I'd put the younger child in a bunk and either modify the front sleeper or rear bedroom for her alone. You as the parents may need to be willing to have a smaller space or be the ones who modify your sleeping arrangements.

Homeschooling is VERY possible on the road, and again, many many many teens thrive with this style of education. There are all types of online high schools, provided you have access to an internet for just a few hours a day (like 2-3), or there are scores of programs where no internet is needed and teacher's guides are scripted for the students. Honestly, being out in the world mixing with other groups of people and learning how to interact with all ages and personality types is a much more reality based than being forced into classrooms of 30 of the same aged people, reading or listening to the exact same material, for the exact same amount of time 8 hours a day five days a week. That isn't what they will face in a real world environment, so I'm not sure why it is the only model encouraged by our educational system. Basically, if you're interested in what she would be learning, she will follow suit.

I guess if it were me, I would rent an Airstream first for at least a week (longer would be better and, yes, this will get expensive, but not as expensive as purchasing a trailer and not knowing) and see how she does.

Again, she may have a very fulfilling life already. But at 15, I was so ready to leave what I knew and seize new opportunities, I would have jumped if my parents had done this.
I think you're right, this type of girl would do well on the road. I think I was this girl, but having been an abused child and very broken soul I couldn't know if that was normal, it certainly wasn't my very normal daughter. I didn't feel safe or happy at school, but not at home either. School was boring, but I loved the library. I was a GATE kid. If it could have been just me and my Dad and my little sister on the road, I would have done it. I would have brought my Encyclopedias with me! I left home at 18 and joined the Army Reserve, later the Air Force.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:47 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Southwest VA , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PammieSue View Post
I think you're right, this type of girl would do well on the road. I think I was this girl, but having been an abused child and very broken soul I couldn't know if that was normal, it certainly wasn't my very normal daughter. I didn't feel safe or happy at school, but not at home either. School was boring, but I loved the library. I was a GATE kid. If it could have been just me and my Dad and my little sister on the road, I would have done it. I would have brought my Encyclopedias with me! I left home at 18 and joined the Army Reserve, later the Air Force.

I'm so sorry for the abuse you endured! I was bullied and maybe that added to the feeling of wanting to leave. I didn't end up staying in my hometown and do not regret that at all. My happiest times were spent at our school library and yes, I understand completely what you mean about the Encyclopedias! It's awesome to have amazing resources in such small form like an iPad or Nook. Saves space in the Airstream too! By the way, thank you for your service for our country.

To the OP, keep us posted on what you guys decide to do about hitting the road! Although I've never full timed, we will be morphing our way into part timing over the next year. I'd love to hear what you all find out!
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote