Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Kennesaw , Georgia
Question Commuting to Atlanta?

Hi, looking to go full-time for a few years in North Georgia, but still need to commute to metro Atlanta 3-4 days per week during the work-week.

Any suggestions for a permanent RV park/site that is "commutable"?

FYI, I'm willing to drive about 50 miles one-way to North Atlanta area (Roswell, Sandy Springs), and I need reliable DSL or Cable Internet connection at RV site to do my job.

Thanx!

Lance
TennisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
As there have been no other responses, I would recommend using campgroundreviews.com as your start. Utilize the satellite photo option of Google Maps or similar for close-ups and to see what "neighborhood" the park is in. Of course, Woodalls and other rv park guides are also useful.

I'd get a handful and then set up a routing using Mapquest "best routing" parameters to go to the farthest one first, and then work back to the house from there. A camera is your friend.

I also wouldn't cross a park off the list because of a bad neighborhood, at least not automatically. A good manager (full-time, of long tenure) can keep the riff-raff at bay (non-tenants). Same for a few junkers in the park. If the folks living there are also working nearby, then this can make for a good situation.

As an example I'm in a park temporarily that meets the good park in a bad neighborhood criterion as most of the tenants are either employed at one of the refineries nearby, or work in the oil field itself. This cuts better than 30-miles off of the several hundred mile job hunt roundtrips I'm doing (all over the Eagle Ford Shale oil/gas boom), and the freeway access (the two that matter) is excellent. I've had several pleasant visits with the park manager while doing laundry in new machines around the corner from a sparkling clean rest/shower room.

Best of all, no gangs of teens roaming the park after school while their elders are away. The "winter Texan" parks can be crowded, and with grandchildren come to visit, not so great, IMO, when one is not on vacation. I like those parks just as well, but sometimes one has to make choices based on only a few alternatives at hand.

Good luck.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
Is Top of Ga too far? Must be member of WBCCI. Only $7/night, cheaper by the month. It would be about hour or 2 drive to Atlanta, depending on where you are going in the city.
SC Coastal Unit
TAC-SC5
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:32 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Alpharetta , Georgia
Roswell/Sandy Springs from Top of GA will be two+ hours on way on a good day from ToGA. The area you are talking about is the GA 400/I285 area. The worst traffic in Atlanta.

My brother in law is a full timer. He has stayed at Twin Lakes, about 10 miles north of me. Here is the link. TWIN LAKES RV PARK. I have never stayed there but Steve uses it all of the time.
py1950 is offline   Reply With Quote