Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Canal Flats , British Columbia
Smile 1998 35' Diesel Pusher Land Yacht

We are considering buying a 1998 in good cosmetic and mechanical condition with low mileage. If there are any owners of a similar vehicle out there......wondering what I can expect in the way of major repairs coming up just given the age of the unit?????
patsy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Welcome to the Air Forums Patsy. Some information on your specific unit is here on the forums and most equipment, other than the chassis, is common to many other motorhome and trailers. eg. fridge, stove etc.

Have you got a Freightliner dealer in Cranbrook? The chassis is all Freightliner. These are commercial establishments that maintain charge rates so that they can stay in business.

Is this unit in Canada now, and where has it been serviced? Has it got the service records with it for you to keep?

If the unit has not been maintained or unknown maintenance, you should have it looked at at your Freightliner dealer and make sure it is updated and all chassis systems are up to specs.

On the Airstream body, every Brand of RV is liable to have water damage from leaking seams etc. Check it very close for signs of leaks, and make it a regular practice to continue to inspect for water invasion. Most everything can be replaced, but water damage will make a real mess if left to continue to spread.

Canal Flats is on my list to visit but we have never got there yet. We are usually heading to the other coast when we go thru that area.

Post some pictures when you get everything organized.

Looks like you have a Freightliner dealer there.
Call the service manager with the chassis VIN and talk to him/her about what you might watch for, and what updating might be needed.

This unit will have a CAT engine that, if low milage should last a long time. But it needs proper, regular maintenace to do that.

http://www.freightlinercranbrook.com...ship/about.htm

Serving CRANBROOK ,FERNIE,KIMBERLEY,ELKFORD,SPARWOOD and the COLUMBIA VALLEY. We are the only Freighliner dealer in the Kootenay Region ,we sell and service the logging, mining,commercial buisness from a small delivery company to many Highway Transport Companies.Freightliner of Cranbrook, located at 301 Slater Rd NW in CRANBROOK, BC,New Freightliner Truck Dealer,and sell PRE-OWNED Trucks and Trailers. Our freindly and knowledgeable sales staff and top-trained technicians are here to make your truck shopping experience fun, easy and financially advantageous. Please utilize our various online resources and allow our freindly Freightliner of Cranbrook Team Help you in your next truck purchase!

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1998 19' Bambi
2004 25' Classic
1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Tucson, Willow , AZ, AK
I purchased a 1998, 35' last year and love it. We took it from AZ to AK and back plus numerous shorter trips. Before buying we took it to a Freightliner Service Center, no major problems but still spent 5K getting the AC working, new air hoses, damper arms, etc. The unit had 50K miles on it. Does yours have the optional larger engine, that is a real plus. We just redid the interior and plan on many more trips. If you have any specific questions just ask.

Scott
Soiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Kimball , Minnesota
Potential 1997 Land Yacht purchase

Hello all,

I am considering a 1997 Land Yacht diesel pusher motorhome. It is equipped with a Cummins engine. I am trying to identify the chassis-engine combination, find the specs and to learn of any recalls, etc. Any tips out there? Want to be more knowledgable before I proceed to have it inspected, etc.

It is a new adventure to move from so many years pulling a trailer to driving a motorhome!

Thanks!
musketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Are you talking about a Cutter, with flat face, or just a Land Yacht, with the greater windshield slope?

The Land Yacht will probably be the Cummins 5.9????

You will have to determine which chassis and model before we can specifically help you.

Have fun shopping for a Class A, look at as many as you can to determine your wants and desires, and take your time. If and when you find the right one you will know it.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by musketeer View Post
Hello all,

I am considering a 1997 Land Yacht diesel pusher motorhome. It is equipped with a Cummins engine. I am trying to identify the chassis-engine combination, find the specs and to learn of any recalls, etc. Any tips out there? Want to be more knowledgeable before I proceed to have it inspected, etc.

It is a new adventure to move from so many years pulling a trailer to driving a motorhome!

Thanks!
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
Old 04-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Kimball , Minnesota
It is a Land Yacht with the sloped windshield. Owner states it is a Cummins engine but thinks it is an Oshkosh chassis despite the center of the steering column and the dash gauges stating Freightliner. I need to understand what I am looking at, would a VIN or chassis number state the chassis manufacturer? Also where could I find the specs for this unit? If this checks out I will buy it, but the 2,000 mile distance is a little obstacle to overcome.

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
If you can get the chassis VIN you can do a search on CarFax for the history of the unit. Freightliner took over the Oshkosh chassis Jan 96 but it may be old stock they are working with?

The Airstream body number is different.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
Old 04-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Kimball , Minnesota
I think i have this figured out. What I am thinking about buying is the following:

1997 LY wide body diesel pusher with 230 hp 5.9 Cummins on a Freightliner chassis

What I'm thinking is that I will have Freightliner check out the engine and chassis. Assuming all is okay there I will fly to check out the coach myself.

Is this motorhome underpowered with the 5.9? Does it run hot? Are there any known likely points of failure?

Thanks to all for any advice!
Old 04-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Check for any signs of roof leaks. Water is the destroyer!
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1998 19' Bambi
2004 25' Classic
Tucson, Willow , AZ, AK
I have a 1998 Land Yacht 36. That was the first year a higher HP Cummins was available, a plus if it has it. Before purchasing mine I had Freightliner do an inspection. Nothing major turned up but air lines were replaced, cab AC fixed, new belts and hoses radiator flushed etc. The bill came to 5K which I split with the seller.

Check for water leaks, I had one on the passenger window. Delamination is also a concern. Take a good look at the exterior walls.

We have taken it from AZ to AK and have had no trouble with power or overheating. I do have the higher HP engine and do not tow. On that trip I got 10.5 mpg.

The only issue I have had is the Kiwkee step was acting erratic. Since they no longer make that controller you have to replace the motor and controller. That was a little over $200. I also had to replace one of the jacks so check for signs of oil on the top of the jack pad. Their is a rebuild kit for them but I bought a used one for $300.

If you have any specific questions let me know. It is a great coach.
Soiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Is this coach thats listed in the classified out in California? If not, that another one you can look at.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Kimball , Minnesota
Yes, it is in LA
Old 04-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
I spoke with the same owner also, nice fellow and it sounds like its a well taken care of MH. Hope it works out for you. Let us know.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
5.9 Cummins 35 Foot Diesel Pusher

Ours a is 5.9 Cummins 35 Foot Diesel Pusher Land Yacht on a Sparton chassis.
Power? Plenty to hit merge speed on most on ramps, even pulling a car or a car trailer. We love it and it's 11 MPG not matter what we're pulling or not. Ours is a keeper.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #15

1996 32' Cutter Bus
Petaluma , California
Hey Musketeer! Glad to see so many folks interested in older Airstream pushers. Ours is powered by the 230hp Cummins on a Freightliner X-Line (spring suspension) chassis. It's no speed demon and the towing capacity is 5000 lbs... but we too enjoy ours just fine and it's plenty of power for us. The motor is very uncomplicated because there's no computers on it. You can always get a Banks upgrade (or one of the other companies making horsepower upgrades for this motor) as others on this forum have done. Good luck!
AdamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:17 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Kimball , Minnesota
Thanks, Adam! It is going to be weird to be in an Airstream that isn't round and shiny!
Old 05-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Kimball , Minnesota
Bought it and drove it 2200 miles home

Well folks, I did buy the 1997 Land Yacht. I had only one problem on the 2200 mile trip, a tire blowout on the freeway in Los Angeles about 15 minutes after I started. Stupid on my part because I inspected the tires and knew they were old and weather checked, seller compromised on the price to cover replacement. Six hours and $$$$$ later I was back on the road with four new rear tires.

It was a fun trip with no other problems and I am getting used to driving a Moho vs pulling a trailer ( pulling a trailer is easier!). Drove up and down mountains, got blown around in the wind and had all of the fun a guy can have driving one of these babies. The Cummins ran well and delivered about 11.7 mpg driving about 62-65 mph. And now I have a new list of things to fix and improve!
Old 05-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Glad you made it back with no other issue other than the tires. I was surprised to hear you say pulling a trailer is easier than driving the MH. I've never pulled a trailer so I have nothing to compare how my MH drives, but I think it quite easy to drive. Yes, now the fun begins with the improvements to make it your own. Looking forward to seeing the pic's. I'm sure your going to enjoy it.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #19

1996 32' Cutter Bus
Petaluma , California
Congratulations Musketeer! Our ride improved dramatically after replacing the worn out shocks with some new Bilstein shocks. But, as you can see from Gloran's signature, there are many more improvements that can be done to improve your ride.
AdamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:07 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Kimball , Minnesota
How do the steering modifications work

Thanks, folks! My comment regarding pulling a trailer vs driving a motorhome revolves around two things 1) the Moho is very noisy and 2) the Moho requires constant attention and corrections to the steering when driving in crosswinds. When I am pulling my trailer ( which I sold to a friend yesterday) my truck is quiet and pulls mostly straight. The noise of the Moho is squeaks and wind noise. I think that I have some of the squeaks fixed and will check the window gaskets, etc for winf noise.

The steering is easy and perfectly straight with no wind or a tail wind. With a crosswind it requires a lot of steering action to keep it going straight. Freightliner inspected the chassis for me and found everything good in regards to suspension parts. Is a steer safe or other mods helpful?

I can feel a lot of questions coming as I learn about Moho ownership, thanks in advance for your help. My wife and I are very comfy in the Moho and are planning many adventures in it!