Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2013, 05:03 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Thanks, folks! My comment regarding pulling a trailer vs driving a motorhome revolves around two things 1) the Moho is very noisy and 2) the Moho requires constant attention and corrections to the steering when driving in crosswind. 1) Ours was very noisy and had alot of squeeks, rattles.and wind noise also. Had the wife drive while I checked where they were coming from, after numerous trips, on a smooth road very quiet now even in windy condishions, so you can improve that problem with a little ingenuity and persistence. 2) I had alot of streering play, so I replaced the Bell Cranks, that doesn't sound like you have that problem. But for cross winds,and control the Safety Streer did make a difference. Blue Ox also make a couple products that are suppost to do the same thing. I took the Mh out last week for a little drive, beautiful day but very windy. On the express it handled amazingly well. I also installed a IPD front stablilizer that I think helps also. But you don't have to make all the changes at once. But the Streer safe might be a good thing to try first.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #22

1996 35' Land Yacht Widebody
Akron , Colorado
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by musketeer View Post
I think i have this figured out. What I am thinking about buying is the following:

1997 LY wide body diesel pusher with 230 hp 5.9 Cummins on a Freightliner chassis

What I'm thinking is that I will have Freightliner check out the engine and chassis. Assuming all is okay there I will fly to check out the coach myself.

Is this motorhome underpowered with the 5.9? Does it run hot? Are there any known likely points of failure?

Thanks to all for any advice!
I have one exactly like what you are considering, and it runs fantastic, and gets great fuel mileage. It has plenty of power even pulling a car. Freightliner has a very good chassis set up.
flash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #23
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Where the heck have you been flash1? It's been 4 years since you posted. You must have a ton of stories and pictures to share with us.

We need some new material on this site. Give us what you got.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash1 View Post
I have one exactly like what you are considering, and it runs fantastic, and gets great fuel mileage. It has plenty of power even pulling a car. Freightliner has a very good chassis set up.
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:27 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
April 2015 I purchased a beautiful 97 Land Yacht Wide Body, 35' with the 275HP Cummins engine. 45k original miles and garaged since new. Almost immediately I found driving on a straight smooth highway it required constant sterring motion that felt like play in the wheel. In May made my first long trip from Asheville, NC to Key West, FL, with new tires installed. By the time I got home from the 1800 mile round trip, my shoulder was hurting from the constant motion.

Took it to Freightliner in Asheville and they found the Bell Crank assembly badly worn. Turns out this part is recommended by Freightliner to be replaced at 10years on most of their trucks. A new assembly was installed and front shocks replaced at same time. It made a HUGE difference...much tighter, no play, and even the road feel was firm. Of course the new shocks helped eliminate the front bounce which was massive at times. Lots of play in those front wheels!

For anyone who owns a diesel pusher on the Freightliner chassis over 10 yrs old, I highly recommend this repair be considered. Labor and parts were $1050 and it will make driving a pleasure. In fact I just relocated to Montana and the 2500 mile cross country trip was fantastic with no problems. Can not wait to get it back on the road this spring traveling to Yellowstone and Glacier as well as using in my job traveling the high-line.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote