Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
pol
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
1995 31' Land Yacht LE
Seattle , Washington
Lightbulb Motorhome driver's seat - 1995

Drivers seat in my '95 LY does not provide enough support to keep my legs aligned - inadequate side support - very uncomfortable after an hour or so. Flexsteel has a new seat for $800, but I hate to buy blind. I'd be disappointed if I bought new ones and had the same problem. Any thoughts out there?
pol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
The seat should be adjusted to a height that allows the foot to rest flat on the floor with the knee bent 90*.

This will allow you to adjust your position as you require and remain comfortable.

Installing a left foot rest that will allow the ankle to remain at 90* when you left leg is extended will also help with comfort and support.

If your unit has air bags in the front suspension that are not adjusted properly, it will give you an uncomfortable ride that a new seat will probably not correct.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
My unit is 5 years newer and still has the problem. I find the armrests do great in allowing me to push upright relieving the legs.
I found the most comfort from a lumbar cushion built in to my Mercury Grand Marquis, air inflatable so could adjust while in motion. electric tilt and lift to change positions, so if the new Flexsteel has built in lumbar adjustments you can make electrically it might solve your problem.
Which RV's are using them? AS stopped making A's in 06 so some other forum might be a better source of info. Can you test one at dealership? Like you say lot of money with no guarantees.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Some campindworld stores have some furniture on display, is there one near you?
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
I bought these chairs RV Furniture Seats,Custom Motorhome Leather Seat,DeLeon-II With the high resilience foam and lumbar support. I also added the 6 way electric base, adjustable arm rests and seat heater. We did 16000 miles in 4 months last year and was very happy with the chairs. I see now they have added a heavy spring base and massage.

If you want to drive to Port Angeles you are more than welcome to try them out.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1998 19' Bambi
2004 25' Classic
1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Tucson, Willow , AZ, AK
If your seats are like mine, a 98, they have the shoulder belt integrated into the seat. Very few manufactures still do this and their prices are quite high do to the structural requirements of the frame.

Soiree
Soiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
If you want to offset the cost of new seats I may be interested in buying your current set for both the driver's and passenger's seats. What color are they? Leather?
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
pol
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
1995 31' Land Yacht LE
Seattle , Washington
LY seats

Thanks to all who replied to my inquiry about more comfortable seating for my 1995 LY. I have driven to Albuquerque for the hot air balloon fiesta. Temporary improvement in comfort has been achieved by lacing relatively stiff plastic mesh across the seat and over the arms to extend the leg bolster further forward. I also took the advice of a low angle foot rest for both feet (while in cruise control) such that my feet are at right angles to my legs. It's not pretty, but I am much less fatigued after a long drive.

To smart stream in Port Angeles - you are close enough to me, and we visit the Olympic Peninsula often enough - that I may well take you up on your offer to try out your new seats.

Again, thanks to all.

Pol
pol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by pol View Post
Thanks to all who replied to my inquiry about more comfortable seating for my 1995 LY. I have driven to Albuquerque for the hot air balloon fiesta. Temporary improvement in comfort has been achieved by lacing relatively stiff plastic mesh across the seat and over the arms to extend the leg bolster further forward. I also took the advice of a low angle foot rest for both feet (while in cruise control) such that my feet are at right angles to my legs. It's not pretty, but I am much less fatigued after a long drive.

To smart stream in Port Angeles - you are close enough to me, and we visit the Olympic Peninsula often enough - that I may well take you up on your offer to try out your new seats.

Again, thanks to all.

Pol
Anytime Pol, just send me a PM to make sure I'm in town.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
When we bought our Land Yacht in 2004, it had those wooden balls held togehter with fishing lure to make a seat cover. I thought YUCK! But after driving it home I decided they did a fine job and have since replaced them with new ones.
They make the seat firm, allow air flow and keep my butt cool for some 12 hour days!
(They're on top of the original Flexsteel leather and cloth seats)
Old 01-20-2016, 10:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
A problem with the drivers seat in my 97 Land Yacht WB diesel is that the lowest position is still to high and causes odd angle to reach petals. At 5'10" I am average height but find I must press the gas petal with toe of my shoe. While visiting the Airstream plant in Jackson Center last summer, it was discussed that the mounting bracket for the drivers seat was very high. I also looked at the new seats Airstream installs in the Mercedes Sprinter van and those could be used as replacements.

Have not had it a year yet so it one of those things on my list for improvement as we get into summer.

Another issue with the pedals.....sometimes find myself pushing on the brake vs gas from a start. Both are very similar in size and shape.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote