Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2012, 01:15 AM   #21
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
My TT is a 2003 28' Safari model that came without powered fans. There was no power wire pull (harness) preinstalled in the same cavity as my rear manual vent opening in the bedroom. After removing the original vent, I carefully drilled through the rib (flex shaft on drill, hand held to fish the bit between inner & outer skins) and used a coat hanger wire to retrieve the power line to the existing overhead light. A quick tap into the line and I was good to go. The front, living space fan was pre-wired.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #22
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I installed two of the remote controlled Maxxfans in my new Int'l. Primarily because they offer a LOT of flexibility. Very easy install. One word of caution: while they fit into the spaces perfectly, if you tighten the plastic mount enough to conform to the slight curve in your roof you will have difficulty dropping the fan unit into the mount and having an easy fit. I used butyl tape and Parbond -- have had mucho rain, no leaks, etc. The fit lesson I learned on the first install made the second one easier. Snug, but not over tightening made this a simple process. Love the remote controls, 10 speed fans, temp control, ability to pull air in or exhaust. I see a real advantage when it's hot to have one fan pull air in and draw air out with the opposite. Ought to create a nice flow through.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Austin , Texas
First one Installed!

Definitly like this over the Fantastic vents! Quiet and electronic speed control. 4 screws and the top comes off as well, so easy to maintain.

After finding out that the current fan was leaking and having rain in Texas, replacement was paramount as was the skylight (pos) and you can see the whole of that process toward the end of this thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f455...hts-53517.html

The most time consuming activity was getting the old sealant off and having a clean surface for the new stuff.
Materials:
1) 3M speciality adhesive remover
2) Butyal tape
3) 3M Marine Adhesive/Sealant Fast Cure 4000 UV

Pictures show progression
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0497.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	153032   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0498.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	153033  

Name:	IMG_0499.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	153034   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0504.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	153035  

Name:	IMG_0505.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	153036   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0524.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	153037  

Name:	IMG_0531.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	153039   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0532.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	153040  

PaulAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Austin , Texas
Warning!

I installed the second MaxxFan and discovered that there was a difference from the first.
The mount was different! I didn't realize until the mount ring was already installed. When I grabbed the fan unit, it didn't seem the same, and it wasn't!

Somewhere between 2010 and 2011 production, they changed the mount ring to include a gasket channel. The 2010 has a channel, but no gasket. Given a high wind speed, the water would be forced up and over the top channel and leak.
I wasn't about to yank the ring, so I took some 3/8" EPDM D shaped weather strip, removed the adheasive and stuffed it into the channel. I compressed the fan unit over the ring and engauged the screw points and I believe that will do the same thing and shouldn't leak. Testing will be done soon.

The first unit came from Amazon (2011 model) and the other (a bit cheaper) from another RV shop for $20 less (2010 model). There is NO difference in model number. Something I'm going to talk with MaxxFan about.
Install pictures: compare the mount ring to the one in the previous post.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG31.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	154263   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG33.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	154264  

Name:	IMG35.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	154265  
Old 03-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Austin , Texas
MaxxFan Changes

I talked with MaxxFan and there was an "instream" change that did not precipitate a part number change. The two styles of mount rings and fan mount are interchangable between the two.
The reason for the change is that someone in Japan was pressure washing and some water went over the mount and leaked.
Like I wrote, my solution of putting a gasket in the channel was the right fix because I don't buy that that won't happen in a driving rain storm and/or going 60mph and it won't leak. I just don't want to take a chance.

Bottom line... Get the latest model with the gasket on the mount ring.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:01 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulAir View Post
I talked with MaxxFan and there was an "instream" change that did not precipitate a part number change. The two styles of mount rings and fan mount are interchangable between the two.
The reason for the change is that someone in Japan was pressure washing and some water went over the mount and leaked.
Like I wrote, my solution of putting a gasket in the channel was the right fix because I don't buy that that won't happen in a driving rain storm and/or going 60mph and it won't leak. I just don't want to take a chance.

Bottom line... Get the latest model with the gasket on the mount ring.
Installed two this weekend and could not put enough pressure to leave the gaskets provided with mine and line up the screw brackets. Any thoughts on going back and trying again?
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:36 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbee View Post
Installed two this weekend and could not put enough pressure to leave the gaskets provided with mine and line up the screw brackets. Any thoughts on going back and trying again?
What type of mount? I'm assuming the gasket was captured in the mount ring.
Thoughts...
The mount ring could be warped from a tight mounting over the curvature where the front and rear of the fan contact the gasket first and there would be no way for the mount screws to line up?
Old 09-21-2012, 04:19 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
[QUOTE=PaulAir;1205240]What type of mount? I'm assuming the gasket was captured in the mount ring.
Thoughts...
The mount ring could be warped from a tight mounting over the curvature where the front and rear of the fan contact the gasket

Recognized the issue with the over tightening and only tightened down enough to not splay the channel before inserting the fan unit. Then completed the tightening. Still could not seat it fully. I did contact Maxxair and was told by tech support that I did the right thing. They said it should not leak without the gasket and that they did that because someone complained of a leak after running their trailer through a car wash.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Austin , Texas
That is what they told me as well, but rain at 65mph might as well be a car wash. That is why I placed a gasket on the unit that did not have one in the mount ring. Call me paranoid, but it gives me peace of mind going down the road in a rain storm.
Old 06-08-2022, 03:46 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Dallas , Texas
the warranty is only 7 years.

https://epi.dometic.com/globalassets...ref=C9B51DE241
Beewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:05 PM   #31
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I have liked my maxxair until the lifting mechanism failed. They diagnosed the problem and told me which part I needed and how to install it myself. no warranty. And the part was not available and was scarce.

Ended up buying one from Amazon, original part but twice the price. Haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

My much older fantastic fan has not failed.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote