Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
leveling jacks

How come my 1990 \290 has no leveling jacks...i am the 3rd owner,where they ever installed and taken out,or never part of that model???if so can i install some at this point???? a lot of questions!!!
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by la nomade View Post
How come my 1990 \290 has no leveling jacks...i am the 3rd owner,where they ever installed and taken out,or never part of that model???if so can i install some at this point???? a lot of questions!!!
It was a option the original owner choose not to purchase. You can buy and install but very expensive, $4,000 to $5,000. I bought a used set and installed myself. Overall cost was about $2,000 and a bit of work but well worth it.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
leveling jacks

OH dear,i think i pass on that one,just too costly,will stick to wooden boards etc....thanks for the info.M
Old 07-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Martine,
Even with the 'leveling-jacks' it's important to use the wooden boards (or something simliar) Seems that leveling-jacks was a bit of a misnomer concerning our Airstreams. They're more like stablizing jacks, to keep motorhome from 'rocking' while at campsite. If used as leveling jacks, they tend to twist the motorhome chassis frame, sometimes so that it's difficult to open or close your entry door.
I've got the yellow plastic 'LEGO' type blocks for leveling when the site is out of level, but have a feeling that wood might be something I'd possibly need if I don't have enough of the blocks.
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Martine,
Even with the 'leveling-jacks' it's important to use the wooden boards (or something simliar) Seems that leveling-jacks was a bit of a misnomer concerning our Airstreams. They're more like stablizing jacks, to keep motorhome from 'rocking' while at campsite. If used as leveling jacks, they tend to twist the motorhome chassis frame, sometimes so that it's difficult to open or close your entry door.
I've got the yellow plastic 'LEGO' type blocks for leveling when the site is out of level, but have a feeling that wood might be something I'd possibly need if I don't have enough of the blocks.
Thanks, Derek
That may be true with the longer 34.5 Derek but not so with the shorter 2 axle units. After I level I have to check to make sure all four jacks are on the ground. My older control has four levers, one for each jack and no computer assist. As for wood blocks I have needed them on occasion.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trip July 2011 Grand Teton & Yelowstone 420.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	500.3 KB
ID:	162271

Cheers, Dan
Old 07-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Hi Dan,
Sure Andy may have opinion on this thread. He's mentioned on more than one occasion that HWH marketed these as levelers when they were more of a stabilizer jack. If its working for you, all the better I say.
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Yes Derek Andy is adamant about jacks on the trailers being stabilizers but the mohos are on a truck frame, much more rigid and HWH does market them as leveling jacks. The big thing is don't lift the rear end too high because the rear wheels are the parking brake and they will roll off the jacks on a slope. I carry chock blocks. By the way HWH does say you can drive off the folding jacks without damage.

Cheers, Dan
Old 07-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
That may be true with the longer 34.5 Derek but not so with the shorter 2 axle units. After I level I have to check to make sure all four jacks are on the ground. My older control has four levers, one for each jack and no computer assist. As for wood blocks I have needed them on occasion.
Attachment 162271

Cheers, Dan
This picture sums up for me, ownership of an Airstream Classic Motorhome. MAGIC !!!
Old 07-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbundi View Post
This picture sums up for me, ownership of an Airstream Classic Motorhome. MAGIC !!!
I'm glad you like the picture Andy. It certainly isn't the most ideal spot but my buddy kind of lives on a hill and there was no better option. We were there about ten days and man was it hot, ran the A/C around the clock.

Cheers, Dan
Old 07-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
I use mine as levelers

I have used my jacks on my 91 350 as jacks. I have used them to change tires and I use them to lift the motorhome high enough to work under it with 20 ton jack stands on the corners of the frame as a safety precaution.

I have tripped the motorhome off the jacks because the rear wheels came off the ground and it rolled back or forward off the jacks. I then chock the front wheels forward and back then pushed the store button and the jacks went up and then I just put them back down again. It is a little disconcerting to see your motorhome fall forward off the jacks but once the real wheels touch the ground it stops moving. I hate when that happens.
http://www.hwhcorp.com/ this is the company that made the jacks on my Airstream.
t7389sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hobe Sound , Florida
To add my 2 cents, I've jacked up enough to do brake work, ect. Just be sure to use jack stands (for safety) and block the front when working on the back.
raveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
you guys live dangerously!!!!!i will stick to my wooden boards...what a great picture Dan...best M.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
topeka , Kansas
My back jack don't seem to do any good the back bounces around like a trampoline I'm in a 345 and the jacks are infront of the rear end. Has anyone moved them to back behind the rearend?
arden_dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
They are well aft of the rear axle on my 95. I've never seen any signs of twisting or flexing on the Spartan chassis. I wouldn't trust working under it on the jacks unless it was also blocked with weight on the blocks. It doesn't take much to make it pivot forward off the jacks if you don't have the rear tires firmly on the ground. The HWH leveling system does a pretty good job making contact on all 4 corners for stability.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by la nomade View Post
OH dear,i think i pass on that one,just too costly,will stick to wooden boards etc....thanks for the info.M
Try running a wanted add on craig's list. I was looking for a pump last year and got a couple calls from guys selling whole systems off salvaged units. Mine turned out to need a couple 25 cent washers that melted under the ground terminal due to a loose ground connection.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Mine has them, but my gut feeling is they were added aftermarket because they are mounted completely different to every other I have seen.
I have used them, and my Jacks are more than capable of lifting my 345 off the ground... and I had it roll off too... I was inside... that was a wierd feeling... and I was on level ground too!
Anyway, I know I can hear/sense my chassis flexing when I use them, but I have to say that if the frame is flexed, they are not being used properly!
I looked mine up and each corner has a 9000LB rated kickdown in each corner.

I think if they were not there, I would probably not spend the money on buying some!

Here they are in action on a nose down pitched site in AZ.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Mine flex the chassis enough that the door won''t open(if closed) and won't shut(if open)...they ARE advertised in the original papers as LEVELING jacks...m
RV Andy swears they are stabilizers, only...My experience, his wisdom...well, I'd have to go with Andy...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Just a quick comment from a factory authorized HWH service center. I have never seen HWH jacks used as anything but levelers. In the newer models that use jacks, they are referred to on the control panel as "HWH Automatic Leveling".

On trailers; stabilizers due to the nature of the thinner frame but on a motor home; LEVELERS.

Of course there are times when, due to 'excessive slope', one must use blocks under the tires, but on fairly level ground it should be no problem.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
I have the Power Gear hydraulic leveling jacks on my 82' 280. They are not stock...my dad installed them at some point. They will lift the mh off the ground. I have the three jack system. I've read everything there is out there on which is better, three or four...mine work just fine.

Rarely do I park on a level space, but I do use the yellow plastic Legos such as Derek mentioned. I level the mh as best as I can first...no big deal really. If I don't, even on my short 280, I will jam the entry door if I just use the jacks on an excess slope.

When I recently rebuilt my rear airbag system (compressor, tank, lines and bags) I also installed a dump valve on the rear bags but haven't wired it to power and a switch yet. Could have used it on my last trip!
Old 07-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
I can't say if it's jack placement or maybe the longer wheelbase of the 34.5 but my HWH never bind the door or anything else. I have put a bottle jack forward of the rear axle on the frame and it will bind the door as soon as there is a load on the jack. Never a problem with the levelers. The only problem is if you raise the rear too much and it rolls off the jacks. The first time it really gets your attention. You really don't want to do it a second time.
BTW I did use the HWH mounting brackets for the P-30.

Cheers, Dan