Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Ignition Switch Removal

Hello all Classic Motorhome owners.
Has anyone had to remove ignition switch? I 'tried' to pull the dash faceplate this morning. I can see now where someone mentioned that who ever was installing the dash at Jackson City, sure didn't like their job. Wow, what a mess of wires. Would at some point LOVE to get in there and make it 'cleaner', but all I need to do now is get the ignition switch removed so it can be replaces.
Any hints? Any suggestions?
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Hello all Classic Motorhome owners.
Has anyone had to remove ignition switch? I 'tried' to pull the dash faceplate this morning. I can see now where someone mentioned that who ever was installing the dash at Jackson City, sure didn't like their job. Wow, what a mess of wires. Would at some point LOVE to get in there and make it 'cleaner', but all I need to do now is get the ignition switch removed so it can be replaces.
Any hints? Any suggestions?
Thanks, Derek
Put the key in the ignition, and turn it to the "run" position. You should find a small round hole in the key lock, put a paperclip in that hole, push in, andpull the lock out by the key. The outer locking nut will then be exposed, and you can turn it until it comes off the lock. The lock should then drop out of the instrument panel.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Hi Terry,
Thanks for the great advice. Will head out to Airstream as soon as I'm finished typing this!
Thanks again, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Cookeville , Tennessee
i hope this works.... i have been trying to remove mine, but didnt know the key/paperclip trick. Had me stumped. I'm removing my instrument panel as well. What a resource this forum is. Thanks Overlander63, and thanks crazeevw for asking the question.
robersonwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #5
Gunter

1966 24' Tradewind
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
The key/paperclip only removes the lock portion; the outer bezel with the three slots need to be turned counterclockwise to remove the whole ignition switch.