Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-20-2017, 07:35 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
12V Feed to Distribution Panel

Please would someone put me out of my misery.

How does the power from the batteries get to the 12v distribution panel? Is it a direct cable from the heavy duty block on the chassis rail behind the battery tray, or, does it go through the blue finned isolator in the front engine compartment and then back to the 12v distribution panel?

thanks
Nick
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:15 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Alliance , Ohio
The feed to your distribution panel should not pass thru the battery isolator. To put your mind at ease, trace the positive cable from your house battery. You may or may not have a heavy duty kill switch in line with this lead. From there it will most likely go to the block on the chassis rail and then on to your distribution panel. Hope this helps.
mehes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehes View Post
The feed to your distribution panel should not pass thru the battery isolator. To put your mind at ease, trace the positive cable from your house battery. You may or may not have a heavy duty kill switch in line with this lead. From there it will most likely go to the block on the chassis rail and then on to your distribution panel. Hope this helps.
Thanks, makes sense. I shall trace that wire and check for any damage when I next get under the coach.
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Depending on how yours is setup, it may also go to the solenoid that bridges the chassis and house batteries during starting, and then go to the batteries from there.

In my 84 270 the converter & fuse panel are under the bunk to the rear of the door. Mine did not come with a cut out switch.
The plus wire goes through the floor and runs along the frame forward to the back of the battery drawer to one lug of that solenoid, the alternator battery isolator and the house battery plus cable ties to that same lug. The chassis battery plus goes to the other solenoid lug.

This page should help some
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	310-service-manual_Page_222.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	281800  
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v