Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Entry door gap

I have a 1975 Argosy MH was going to take a short trip with it and when I shut the entry door I noticed on the lower 1/4 of the door a gap where you could see daylight. Has anyone had this problem? Wondering if its hinge pin wear issue or I can't imagine the door is out of shape? Thanks
911rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911rs View Post
I have a 1975 Argosy MH was going to take a short trip with it and when I shut the entry door I noticed on the lower 1/4 of the door a gap where you could see daylight. Has anyone had this problem? Wondering if its hinge pin wear issue or I can't imagine the door is out of shape? Thanks
The bent door frame is more common on the trailers, but it does happen to motorhomes as well.

Assuming the door gasket is ok, the door frame has been bent.

There are different ways to correct the problem, depending on "EXACTLY" where and how it's bent.

Look at the door frame, on the lock side, and determine where the bend is.

Photo's would help.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
The hingepin could be the issue, but what about the door gasket? Is it old or fairly new? A new gasket is critical for maintaining an airtight seal around the door.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:21 AM   #4

1978 28' Argosy 28
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
Lightbulb Door gap

Hi, My first post! I bought mine and noticed the same thing! On my unit the aluminum frame of the door itself, where the lockset mounts, is cracked on inside edge. Can be seen from skinny edge. I took piece of 2X4 and used as fulcrum above crack. Pushed on lower half of door and when the cracked metal closed, I estimate that the gap in closed door will disappear. I just need to figure how to reinforce door and have it still close and lock properly. I haven't really looked into it, but figured I'd kick in my thoughts and maybe somebody could take it and figure it out before I get to it. Craig
aargonutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome!

Hi aargonutz, Welcome to the forums. Take a few photos of the door frame and post them. This will really help the community see what you see and to come up with a solid solution for you.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Quote:
Welcome to both of you new posters...

I was driving along and looked at my door a few times over the past months and every once in a while thought I could see daylight on the bottom half of the door on the lock side.

I didn't see it every time I looked and finally realized that what I was seeing was daylight but it was of the reflected variety. You see my entry way is of the commercial kind with nice grab bars of polished stainless steel.

The day light was a reflection of the sun coming in the starboard window and reflecting onto the door right where it looked like a separation would happen.

Took me a bit to figure all this out as when I took note I was going down the road...

May all your fixes be as simple as mine.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:52 PM   #7

1978 28' Argosy 28
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
Thumbs up door gap

Here's a picture attachment. I also read previous posts about doors and found THE fix. Here's the link - Aluminum Brazing - Aluminum welding - Aluminum Repair - AluminumRepair.com . I just need to order a batch and get at it. I'll read before I ask from here out.
aargonutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, the door on my trailer has always had a gap in that same area. I bought and installed a second weather strip on the 1/2" edge on the body side of the door frame. I'm sure glad I did that before we went into zero degree weather in South Dakota. My door isn't bent; It was a poor fit from day one.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote