Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2019, 08:15 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Hood River , OR
1978 Argosy Refrigerator Question

We are restoring a 78 Argosy 24'. The refrigerator has been removed and we want to replace. It appears to have only been 110. Is this possible and how do we set it up for a 2 way frig?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
catgunnerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Hmmmm. If what you found in your Argosy was an AC compressor type fridge, it must have been an after-market modification. I am not aware of any camper put out by AS that didn't have an ammonia evaporation fridge, except for the very early vintage trailers that only came with ice-boxes.

Dometic and Norcold are the most common vendors. I believe Dometic is the one AS uses most.

Now, the tricky thing is to look for an LP line running to the spot in the trailer where your fridge is. Hopefully, it's still there. The way these lines are usually run is from the LP tanks, underneath the belly pan (never hidden inside, because of the risk of a leak, leading to buildup and BOOM), then straight up through the floor to a direct connection with the appliance.

If it's not there, you can add a line. If it is intact, you might want to test it for leaks via the soap bubble method.

Next, carefully measure the original opening for your fridge. Somewhere on the web, you can search for models made by Dometic and Norcold that most closely match your space. Note that they make changes over the years, and you may not find an exact match for 1978.

As an aside, I own a 1969 with the orig. Dometic! When I got the trailer, the fridge had a number of cosmetic issues: there were stains on the inside I could not get out, some of the plastic shelves on the inside of the door were broken, the wire rack had lost some of it's chrome platting and had corrosion, the fridge door wasn't so good, etc, but it still worked!

So I figured I would just wait until it died, then put in a new unit (which runs about $1000, btw, new!) But, 15+ years later, it still works! Some other vintage AS owners have told me that when it dies, I would be much better off to fix it rather than replace it; it would be cheaper and last longer. They said the new ones only last about 5-10 years. And that if I did get rid of it, to let them know, because they would buy it!

So, if you're lucky, you might find a vintage fridge out there somewhere.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
Did you want 2 way with propane or 12/120 volt? There are marine conversions that use 12/120. If that interests you and you're planning on solar it is feasible.

I was fortunate the original Krefft frig was in the trailer, so I converted to 12/120 volt. I wanted the ability to run the frig while traveling and didn't want the propane on. I know many do it, I just don't have a personal comfort level with it. I used a marine conversion kit by Isotherm. Mounted the rectangular evaporator in place of the freezer box and placed the compressor unit above the frig in the cabinet storage area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Krefft Frig conversion to Isotherm.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	340.8 KB
ID:	342265 Click image for larger version

Name:	Frig components in cabinet.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	342266

I left the roof vent in place to vent heat from the compressor. Air is drawn in from the adjoining 'closet' and under the frig. I didn't have to cut a hole in the floor or belly pan for propane combustion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kreft frig across from stove.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	342264

I also added foil backed rigid insulation around the frig in the gaps with the cabinet sides, upper cabinet shelf and under the frig.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote