Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1970 - 1973 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
84°F, went camping..

Hello all,,

Just strange weather, most years this time we still have snow on the ground,, or only in the mid 40s.. The past week has been in the high 70s to low 80s..

Since we needed to do a trial check out run.... and no better way to do it than to go camping. So we loaded up and pulled our Overlander 40 miles to our local lake and set up camp.. All systems were go.. Between the fantastic fans, and a stiff wind we were able to cool the trailer down just fine with the AC on only long enough to make sure it took off and worked ok.

Even tho I flushed the water tank 5 times last week,, the water pump later ran poky and found water tank slime plugging the intake filter,. Other than that,, all systems checked out..

Looking forward to a long camping summer ahead.,

Just don't know why for sure,,, but that 40 year Overlander sure looks better every day since we got it... Not many things one can buy today that I can say that about.

Sodbust
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
1972 was a great year! We took our 1989 out this weekend as well and were dismayed that every campground was filled with others with the same spring fever! We spent Friday night in one and Saturday in another. Come on, summer!!!!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodbust View Post

Even tho I flushed the water tank 5 times last week,, the water pump later ran poky and found water tank slime plugging the intake filter,. Other than that,, all systems checked out..

Sodbust
Sodbust,
We have a somewhat poky water pump too on our (new to us) '77 Sovereign. I wonder if ours has an intake filter like yours that we could check. Where would we look to determine this?

Glad you got to have a trial run. We cancelled our third trial run which was supposed to be today at a local lake too. But our toddler son was a little too sick to go.

Quote:
Just don't know why for sure,,, but that 40 year Overlander sure looks better every day since we got it... Not many things one can buy today that I can say that about.
I totally know what you mean about this! We normally store ours at my husband work. But when it's home, my heart skips a beat everytime I come around the corner and see it sitting in front of our house.
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
What brand of pump?

[QUOTE=Mrs.Mod;1122054]Sodbust,
We have a somewhat poky water pump too on our (new to us) '77 Sovereign. I wonder if ours has an intake filter like yours that we could check. Where would we look to determine this?

I have the FlowJet type pump and it has a screw on plastic filter on the intake side of the water pump.. I just unhooked it and took it outside and blew backwards into it to get the main slim plug out,, then washed with some water to back flush it some more..

The PO,, did not care for this trailer like he should have.. The water heater was full of water,, and a very poor job of winterizing all around.. I'm sure he left 10 gallons of water in the tank for years and it started to grow things inside..

Once home I added some clorox ,, and moved the trailer back and forth to slosh it around in the tank.. Then drained and flush 3 more times.. I had to do this trick on our SOB trailer when we first got it home..

Another area to look for is any small air leaks in the suction side of the pump.. Most times if its a air leak the pump will not shut off once full pressure is reached.

We use too use the larger FlowJets,,, to add fertilizer in our crop rows as we planted.. Some would last for years and others just a season..

Another option to look at is to make sure the pump has a good ground.. A jumper wire from a known ground to the black wire on the pump will let you know.. If the pump motor speeds up with the added ground wire you found your problem.

Sodbust,, NW Kansas
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote