Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2020, 01:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
2019 27' Globetrotter
Seacrest , Florida
2020 Bambi 22fb- Quality Control Punch list

Hi all,

From what I read on this forum we are bound to find some issues (hopefully minor) with our brand new AS. I am going to pick mine up next week, is there anyone out there who's had this model for a bit? Have you had any issues I should be looking out for?

Additionally, since I am a newbie picking up my first TT ever is there a checklist of components I should examine while at the dealer? If this has been discussed can someone please link to it for me? TIA
Erika_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:56 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

West Palm Beach , Florida
2020 Bambi 22fb- Quality Control Punch list

Congrats! The 2020 Bambi 22’ was our second choice. We ended up going for the 27FB primarily for the closet space (of which my wife occupies 90% of).

I have a punch list of about 10 concerns so far, at 6 months into ownership. Many of which are unique to our model but I would absolutely recommend that you take your time going through the trailer. Check anything and everything you can think of. Looks for signs of poor quality control such as missing pieces, check all cabinets and windows for operation and look for missing screws and such. Poke around and feel for anything that’s loose. Check any accessible plumbing connections to ensure that pipe fittings are not loose.

Definitely check out the door, it’s common for the door to need adjusting. If it feels like you have to slam the door to close it, ask them to adjust it. Don’t let the dealer give you the old “Oh it’s like a bank vault” speech. We ended up not being able to close the door one night after it kept getting worse. It was a simple fix, but I wish I knew in advance to ask about it.

I’d recommend asking to see inside of the AC return vents... especially if you have a ducted AC system. I can’t remember off the top of my head if the Bambi comes standard with ducted AC... but I’ve heard too many stories about the AC condensation drain tube not being connected as it was overlooked by the factory. This will later cause a leak that you might not notice right away.

You’ll probably get a lot of responses here from owners of new units who found many issues after the first few trips. It’s hard to find every potential problem before taking the coach out on the road, but you might be able to save yourself from frequent returns to the dealer if you take your time inspecting during delivery.

Congrats and good luck!
Old 06-10-2020, 02:59 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
2019 27' Globetrotter
Seacrest , Florida
Thanks so much! I appreciate all the tips. No ducted AC so one less thing to check off
Old 06-10-2020, 03:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
One end of the lower rear reflectors (both sides) was positioned over a structural rib. The mounting screws did not penetrate and eventually worked out.
The extrior screw heads rusted prematurely - hit them with some kind of sealant (regular WD-40?).
Find an allen wrench to fit the bedroom privacy plexiglass "securing" hardware. There are about four per side, and they will loosen going down the road.
You won't have ducted air. The return is built into the head unit. Push the cover in on the long side to loosen (ask tech to demonstrate).
The radio on ours would get very hot if left on. Consider drilling ventilation holes.
Bring a dustbuster to pick up the rivets and sawdust that will creep out.
We had a short appear six months later (vent and front interior lights) - bring extra fuses and get acquainted with the electrical box.
Get a remote temperature monitor to track the fridge temperature. I found one with min/max and two sensors on Amazon.
Some kind of gasket lubricant will make it easier to open the front glass - your dealer should be able to recommend something.
Happy travels!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
The best advice I have ever seen given to a new owner is to plan to spend at least one night in the trailer at the dealership.

Or, if you can’t camp out at the dealership, Find a campground close by and camp there. My understanding is that most dealerships will allow you to camp overnight at the dealership. This makes it impossible for them to claim that you must have did something to some item or system after you left the lot.

While camping out, use every system, every item, test every window, door, latch, plug, appliance, awning, tank, etc. Hook and unhook it from your tow vehicle. Be as detailed and anal as possible. You’ll be so glad you did this before taking final delivery.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:01 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
2019 27' Globetrotter
Seacrest , Florida
[QUOTE=skyguyscott;2369829]The best advice I have ever seen given to a new owner is to plan to spend at least one night in the trailer at the dealership.

Or, if you can’t camp out at the dealership, Find a campground close by and camp there. My understanding is that most dealerships will allow you to camp overnight at the dealership. This makes it impossible for them to claim that you must have did something to some item or system after you left the lot.

My dealer offered that option...I find it a bit lackluster lol. But I am taking it about an hour away to test everything at a campground. Hopefully I don't have to go back
Old 06-11-2020, 10:26 AM   #7
Renassiance man

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Simi valley , California
Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika_C View Post
Hi all,

From what I read on this forum we are bound to find some issues (hopefully minor) with our brand new AS. I am going to pick mine up next week, is there anyone out there who's had this model for a bit? Have you had any issues I should be looking out for?

Additionally, since I am a newbie picking up my first TT ever is there a checklist of components I should examine while at the dealer? If this has been discussed can someone please link to it for me? TIA
Check out everything!!!!!! Assume nothing works correctly, make plans to check out the trailer with the dealer and then make another trip to actually complete the paperwork and take delivery, the dealer is much more motivated to complete the needed “punch” list if you have not actually “taken” delivery!!!! Once you drive off the lot the dealer is on to the next deal, it’s just human nature to “chase the money”
Brentsdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
We have had our 2019 22FB for about 6 weeks now. I have been working through a list that I made after spending a weekend camping.

Our problems were discovered after getting the trailer home to find the exit window leaking. Then we starting looking closely and found a bunch of things, mostly finish work and things that were loose.

Our dealer was observing COVID procedures so we didn't have much of a chance to go over things with them.

With the list, we started by reaching out to our dealer who is half a days drive. Then we decided that the leak needed to be addressed to limit water damage. Since then I have chipped away at my list and I am down to floppy shower wall (the forward facing wall) that needs to be addressed before it cracks.

Today, I am putting in a new dining table as the original one had a trim piece that was glued in poorly resulting in a cutting hazard. I also wanted to make the table fit flush to the benches so the secondary bed didn't have lumps and bumps in it.

If you are handy, most of this can be addressed with a little time and elbow grease.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentsdeal View Post
Check out everything!!!!!! Assume nothing works correctly, make plans to check out the trailer with the dealer and then make another trip to actually complete the paperwork and take delivery, the dealer is much more motivated to complete the needed “punch” list if you have not actually “taken” delivery!!!! Once you drive off the lot the dealer is on to the next deal, it’s just human nature to “chase the money”
Yes, that is what we did on our last trailer. Go through everything carefully and thoroughly. We came up with a list for them to fix and adjust, then came back when they were done to pick up the trailer 2 weeks later. That would be a good time for a competent dealer to add anything etc. (like we had them install rear and streetside awnings and add a cover to the fantastic fan, so we could leave it open when it rains.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:14 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
As a new trailer owner, be sure you take a short, two or three day trip where you can use and try out everything. We have a campground less than an hour's drive from our home where we have done ALL our maiden trips! Do everything -hook up the water, hook up the sewer, use batteries, use shore power, try the heater and the air conditioner, set up the bed(s). Keep your list of what works, what doesn't and what you need to learn more about.

Before that, set 'er up in your driveway (if possible) and do a sleep over there as well. You'll be able to try out things, and do a set up as practice. Load it up, decide if you want household items permanently stored on board or not and also fill in any gaps. Nothing is harder that getting to a campground to discover you don't have any towels, forgot the coffee pot and you need a spatula.

If you decide not to outfit the trailer, keep a check list of what goes on so you won't wind up like we did years ago while tent camping. Forgot our lantern, our flashlights had dubious batteries and we had no propane for the cook stove. After a couple of minutes of accusing each other, it was a very quiet and dark night. Developed a much better list after that.

My funny story? With our Airstream, my husband decided he no longer needed a second set of tools onboard. He'd keep everything in a tote and just tuck that in the truck when we left. And, I do mean everything -hammer, screwdrivers, drills, a come along, extra jack; you name it, it is in the tote. All was well until we reached our 3rd night of a 2 week trip approximately 800 miles from home and he needed to replace a screw and we discovered the tools weren't in the truck. They had been, but he decided to reorganize the truck and they got overlooked on the repack (of course, everything fit better...). After a trip into the nearest town we had a second set of tools for the trailer, again.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:33 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Bath , North Carolina
Hello Erik C,

My wife and I purchased a 2020 22’ Bambi FB in august of 2019 so this is exactly what you have asked for. Our problems have been minor. First was the plastic divider that separates the bedroom area from the kitchen. It was beginning to come loose as we drove around. Luckily I had the Allen wrench to loosen all the screws and slide it out and re-insert it and re-tighten it. No problems After that. Next was the GFCI outlets that just quit after 6 months. Took it back to the dealer for repairs...turned out to be the plastic cover over the fuse box had again shaken out of place and was blocking the fuse Switch for these outlets. The dealer was nice enough to remove the cover and sand it down a little to prevent this from happening again. Took all of 10 minutes to fix.

This model has had no other issues, my wife and I have been delighted with the quality of this trailer and it has exceeded expectations. When we talk to our very good friends that introduced us to RV’ing we exchange emails often. We often hear their horror stories about their non-AirStream trailer. Things like windows installed upside down and all other types of issues, Roof leaks, months in the shop. And this was a new camper!

We know we made the right decision with our Air-Stream, No regrets.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:45 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangrila View Post
We know we made the right decision with our Air-Stream, No regrets.
Thanks for sharing this. We just ordered our first Airstream the other week, and some of these quality control horror stories are making us nervous.
2013810 is offline   Reply With Quote