Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2015, 04:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
The various Aluma events

As I learn more, read more, experience more with relation to Airstreaming I just want to go, go, go.

It's been several years of having one (2) trailers, several small outings, always good times, new interesting people and lots to look forward to.

So I'm curious about the various Aluma events. I've learned a little but would like to hear from those of you who have gone.

I know of:
Alumapalooza, annual event at Jackson Center

Alumafiesta, annual event in Tucson

Alumafandango, in Jackson CA this coming year

Alumaflamingo, Sarasota Fl replaced the WBCCI Florida State Rally

Alumalina, Carolina in March

We will likely do mostly our own camping in the boondocks but would like to attend at least 1 national for the experience and maybe several of the Aluma events.

I know many of these are produced by event group R&B Events cofounded by Rich Luhr so there may be some similarities.

What are their highlights in your opinion?
Are there other Aluma events I'm not familiar with?
Which forum rally's should one really try to attend.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Response to Aluma Events

Alumalina has nothing to do with the other Aluma events other than it is an Airstream rally. Alumapalooza, Alumafiesta, Alumafandango, and Alumflamingo are commercial rallies produced by R&B Events, a for profit company. Alumalina was organized by a small group of South Carolina Airstreamers who decided to organize a "Carolinas" Airstream rally using the Airforums social media platform to communicate plans for the event to the Airstream community in North and South Carolina. The first rally was very successful, as have been subsequent Alumalinas. Over time Alumalina has grown from a handful of trailers to the 120+ trailers signed up for the upcoming October fall event. In addition, the rally now draws Airstreamers from far beyond the two Carolinas. There are usually two or three non-Airstream units at the rally (friends of Airstreamers) as well.

Alumalina is held two times per year. Once in the spring (March or April) and once in the fall (September or October). While some WBCCI units attend Alumalina it is not an official WBCCI event. In addition it is not a "for profit" event. All costs are defrayed through contributions of the participants or donations.

Alumalina is a very informal gathering. The planned activities are listed in post #270 on this thread. Participation in any activity is purely voluntary. Those participating are asked to contribute as noted in the posting. In the past the organizers have covered the cost of food provided by the rally, but due to the size of the rally this year, they are requesting a $25 per rig fee. Given that a fish fry and other food is provided this seems reasonable. See post #271 on this thread. Alumalina attendees pay the campground directly for their campsite fees.

At these rallies you'll see a variety of spontaneous activities develop. Musicians may get together to perform. Groups of people will gather to chat. Others will go kayaking, sightseeing or hiking. In the past a local Airstream dealer has brought 2-3 new units for attendees to view. Rally attendees are free to organize their own events or simply visit with old friends and meet make new friends.

The October event will be the 4th Alumalina I've attended. The only one of the commercial "Aluma" events my wife and I have attended is the first Alumaflamingo a couple of years ago. It is more expensive to attend the commercial Aluma events but they typically include professional entertainment and at least one catered meal as well as campsite parking fees. The informal rallies (Alumalina, Canopener, Falluminum, Springstream) organized on Airforums have amateur entertainment and several pot luck meals. Both usually have seminars related to camping or Airstream topics.

On YouTube do a search for Alumapalooza (a commercial rally) as well as Canopener and Alumalina (informal rallies). You'll see videos which show past rallies and give a flavor of the activities.

Canopener is another east coast rally that attracts over 100 Airstreams. It is held in the Florida panhandle in early January each year. It celebrates its 10th Anniversary in 2016, a tribute to the volunteer organizers and the fun time each year.

You should definitely attend some of these events to experience them for yourself and determine if they are for you. As an east coast resident I'm not familiar with non-WBCCI Airstream rallies in the western US but there may be some. Check the rally listings on Airforums. If you haven't been to an Airstream only campground I encourage you to seek them out in your travels. They are all owned by Airstreamers and each has a different personality.

My wife and I have made some wonderful friends at these rallies. We like to attend to sustain these friendships as well as meet new people. We always have a good time sharing food, fellowship, and activities.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Y

Alumalina, in the Carolinas, is held fall and spring. It was started and is still hosted by John Leake helped by a host of others, and is not related to the commercial events by R&B. I attended the fall event last year at Lake Wateree State Park. Great group of people. We had a great time. We have had conflicts with the spring and fall events this year but will try to attend next year. There were seminars on Saturday on trailer maintenance, water system upkeep, and dutch oven cooking.

There is also Falluminum in North Georgia, this year the same weekend as Alumalina. Planned to go last year but got flu and couldnt make it. Lots of attendee overlap between the two.

Another great rally is Canopener in January in Santa Rosa Beach, FL. Goggle for youtube videos of Alumalina and Canopener.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post

So I'm curious about the various Aluma events. I've learned a little but would like to hear from those of you who have gone.

I know of:
Alumapalooza, annual event at Jackson Center

Alumafiesta, annual event in Tucson

Alumafandango, in Jackson CA this coming year

Alumaflamingo, Sarasota Fl replaced the WBCCI Florida State Rally

Alumalina, Carolina in March
We attended the last two pre-Alumaflamingo Florida State Rallies and the first two Alumaflamingoes that followed it. All were very enjoyable. R&B rallies seem to be characterized by good vendor participation, good presenters, and good entertainment. Optional food service is available at most meals, mostly not included in the rally fee.

For some reason attendance seemed to decline between the first and second Alumaflamingoes, and R&B is not doing one in 2016.

The WBCCI Florida State Rally has been started up again "under new management" but no longer in Sarasota. It has been in Key West and St. Augustine and will be in Key West again April 6-11, 2016.
http://secamping.wbcci.net/files/201...Rally-2016.pdf

We have attended Alumapalooza as "walk-ins" (we live only 60 miles from Jackson Center) and it seems to have been run similarly to Alumaflamingo, and attendance has been good.

At this point there are only two rallies on the R&B Events calendar, Alumapalooza May 31 - June 5, 2016 and Alumafandango at Jackson, CA, September 20-25, 2016. See the R&B web site at Alumaflamingo
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Thanks for the information all. I read about several of these forum events and see the enthusiasm and regular attendees.

On the western end a Vintage Airstream Rally in the Colorado area and a Pismo Rally is hopefully on our list.

Someone remind me which is the "possum" gathering.

Hittenstiehl
Old 09-29-2015, 08:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
If you read the Airforums Alumalina threads you know the possum bog is the source of much conversation and is part of the fun of the event. The chefs at Alumalina one night create a large pot of stew for the community known as a "possum bog". You'll have to attend an event to determine for yourself if the meat in this concoction is really roadkill possum allegedly collected by the participants during the months between events or if it is some other mystery meat. It is certainly the source of serious conversation and a few tall tales.

All I can say is it is tasty and so far no one has died from it (that I know of).
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
As I learn more, read more, experience more with relation to Airstreaming I just want to go, go, go.
I trust as a seasoned user of Airforums that you're aware of the calendar, yes? Airstream Forums - Calendar

As has been mentioned already, "Aluma" at the beginning of a rally name doesn't necessarily mean it's organized by the same person / group. As well, it doesn't mean that it needs to start with "Aluma" to be a good rally. There are a wealth of good gatherings out there. Usually they are listed on the calendar and have a related discussion thread. Although, I have seen that many are posting the rally here and there ends up being more discussion on Facebook as someone usually sets up a FB page for the rally.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:04 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
mesquite , Texas
new 2015 27ft. internation signature

don't really know how to post a thread so will try here.
just purchased a new 2015 27ft. international signature from dealer in Caldwell id. no problem with them nicest folks to deal with!
traded I my 2013 23ft front dinette for new one.
airstream quality control leaves a lot to be desired!
screen door has no place to latch into , not installed at factory door assembly not form fitting at bottom. insulation missing from bottom section of door. pull latch on microwave door came loose first pull not screwed in tight. bin all respects airstream cant be blamed utton to turn on light on stove vent went inside of housing first turn on . first time connected to city water ,water filter exploded with huge bang and water and filter granuales flew out fron sink cabinet and made a heck of a mess all over new leather couch and interior of trailer . what amess to clean up! may take forever to get all those charcoal granuels cleaned uo.
in all respects airstream cant be blamed for venders sloppy work but factory work should be held accountable for.
still love the 27ft. see you at allumaplazzo!
moxie t. moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:09 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Add to your list Alumalina 2015 Fall Gathering at Palmetto Cove RV Park in Cleveland, SC October 21 -25. There are already 130 rigs signed up for it and if you want to participate in a big fun big time rally, come on and join us. Palmetto Cove can handle over 140 rigs with full hook up and when all hookups are taken, there is still plenty of room for dry camping.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Thanks everyone for adding info.

Dan sounds like you might want to start a thread but you did add that you are looking forward to palooza.

Hittenstiehl
Old 09-30-2015, 09:13 PM   #11
Fleets

1993 34' Excella
Vintage Kin Owner
Hudsonville , Michigan
I'm a little late to this thread, but wanted to add a bit about Alumapalooza. We have been Airstreamers for 23 years, first with a '77 and now a '93. We do not attend many rallies, in favor of boon docking or state park campgrounds. However, we have found Alumapalooza very worthwhile for us. The unique thing about Alumapalozza is that it's held at the Airstream factory. There are educational seminars and product feedback sessions throughout the days, some taught by Airstream personnel. Though we are handy and do much of the work on our trailers ourselves, we've learned lots of additional tips and we find it so handy to be parked a short bike ride from the Airstream parts department. We usually do a number of small projects ourselves while parked at Alumapalooza, and it's easy to find advice from other Airstreamers in person when needed too. We usually take in the factory tour, and always enjoy the comments by CEO Bob Wheeler. The social aspect is great, entertainment is fun, and we've met friends old and new from across the country. I think it's worth going once, just to see the Mothership and decide if you like that kind of event.
cflietstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
The posts are correct. There is much information here.

Alumalina is an event hosted by Sandlapper (John Leake) and this fall it is a joint event with the Carolinas Mountain Jamboree, a WBCCI Event. You have already seen much about it. We will be there. John puts on a great party.

Alumapalooza, Alumaflamingo, Alumafiesta, and Alumafandango are hosted by R&B Events (Rich Luhr and Brett Grieveldinger). These events are very different from each other and from other events. Each has a focus and is unique. This year, Alumapalooza and Alumafandango will be held. Next year, I think the lineup will change. We have volunteered to work a number of these and always have a great time.

Finally, we will be attending our 9th International Rally this year in Lewisburg, WV. We have a great time at these events and see friends from all over the country. Some of them we see only once each year. The event is all about the people and the fun you have with them.

All these events are different. Attend them and judge for yourself.
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have only been to Alumalina, and would give it 4 stars.

It is not organized by an entity, but by a man...John Leake...a very good man, his family, and a few close friends.

Alumalina is about companionship, friendship, a bit of education, fun, food, and a bit of drinking if you so choose.

A good place to be for a few days, and I would highly recommend it.

Maggie
Old 10-01-2015, 09:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
It's been nice to hear from different streamers about these events.

Many of these events will go on our list to do for the future. For now a few local trips and our 4Corners gatherings is all we can squeeze in while still working full time. But our time is coming and well be meeting some of you.

Its always fun to read the event threads as you drum up excitement and attendees. A nice part of that is those threads are usually very positive and full of pending excitement.

Thanks for sharing your Aluma / Rally experiences and knowledge.

Hittenstiehl
Old 10-02-2015, 01:37 PM   #15
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I've been to all but one of the Alumalina's and am looking forward to the Palmetto Cove event in a couple of weeks. This will be our first time there, I'll look even MORE forward to it if Lily & Me (Maggie!) will be doing some of her indescribable dutch oven bread. Alumalina was the first Airstream gathering I'd ever attended and it really is about fellowship with some very, very nice people. The Alumapalooza is always fun as well (been to 3 of them), and being at the factory and meeting with the the folks who are responsible for running Airstream is engaging. Be advised, though, that Alumapalooza is held on the "back lot" from the factory and you are just about guaranteed a few days of exciting thunderstorms. My first year there were enough of them to turn the "back lot" into "mud pit." No issues, as tractors were available to pull us out. Have only been to a couple of WBCCI rallies, but they were fun as well. Looking forward to the International in WV next year. This'll be the first one for SilverLeaf II.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote